Memories of ORU's powerhouse days return - TW

ORUTerry

Memories of ORU's powerhouse days return

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

3/8/2006

One of the most painful moments in Oral Roberts' athletic history came 364 days ago.

Just one day shy of the first anniversary of the upset by Oakland in the Mid-Continent Conference finals, the Golden Eagles found redemption.

They erased the devastation of that loss, brought back memories of the powerhouse program of the 1970s, and put ORU back in the Big Dance.

After a shaky first half, Ken Tutt sparked a wild second-half run as the Eagles outscored Chicago State 26-4 in just under eight minutes, and Oral Roberts went on to an easy 85-72 victory for the Mid-Con title Tuesday night at the Union Multipurpose Activity Center.

It gets ORU back in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 22 years. It has been 32 years since the Golden Eagles' greatest NCAA moment, the Elite Eight loss to Kansas at the Mabee Center.

After the game, ORU coach Scott Sutton was congratulated in the locker room by his mother and father.

"I know they are awfully proud," Sutton said. "It is very rewarding for me and my family."

It was an uplifting moment in what has been a difficult season for Sutton. ORU was crushed by last year's loss in the finals and fought to erase that memory.

Then, the Golden Eagles did not play up to some rather lofty expectations, although they did win the league regular season title for the second straight year. As the season was winding down, Sutton's father, Eddie (coach at Oklahoma State), was involved in an accident and charged with DUI. He has taken a medical leave to undergo treatment to heal an ailing back and to enter an alcohol rehab center.

On Tuesday night, all seemed right in Scott Sutton's world.

"The pain of last year's game never went away until we won this game," Sutton said.

Near the end of the game, ORU president Richard Roberts ran over to the student section and led cheers, much as his father did during ORU's glory years in the 1970s.

"We battled through this entire season," Sutton said. "We battled through the very disappointing finish of last season."

That loss served as motivation.

"Losing last year helped us win this year and made this win even more special," said Tutt, the tournament MVP.

This new group has a chance to write its own history.

"I don't know how many NCAA Tournament games I've been to, but I'm so excited our team, our fans and our school will get to experience it," Sutton said. "I'm so excited for them. There's nothing else like it.

"I think once our guys get a taste of it, it'll make them even hungrier to get back to it."

If the Golden Eagles play as they did in the second half of the rout of Chicago State, the Golden Eagles should have a chance to make some noise.

In blowout victories over Valparaiso and Chicago State, Oral Roberts flashed the kind of balance that could make it more than just a sacrificial lamb in the NCAA Tournament.

Everyone knows about Ken Tutt, who had 25 points, and Caleb Green, who had 15 points. When Larry Owens gets it going, as he did against Chicago State with 24 points including three 3-pointers, the Eagles become lethal.

"Larry has been underappreciated all season," Sutton said. "He's a very special player. He could average 20 points a game if we didn't have Ken and Caleb.

"He is such a versatile player. When he's on, we're pretty good. They can't concentrate on Ken and Caleb. When we play like we did in the second half, we're going to be pretty hard to beat."

Those three weren't alone in this tournament. Point guard Jonathan Bluitt was the hero in the semifinals against Valpo and was a steadying influence during the second-half run against Chicago State.

"If Owens, Green and Tutt come to play, they can play with anyone in the country," said Chicago State coach Kevin Jones.

Jones said his team has faced Illinois, Louisville and Ohio State in the past two years.

"We've seen good teams," Jones said. "Oral Roberts has all of the pieces to be good. Whoever plays ORU in the NCAA Tournament will have their hands full."

The Eagles know the talent is there to perhaps pull a stunning upset. ORU will need a good draw, a highly seeded team ripe for an upset.

"There's no question in my mind, when we play hard for 40 minutes we can hang with anyone in the country," Owens said.