ORU 85, Chicago State 72: Redemption (TW) 3-8-06

ORUTerry

ORU 85, Chicago State 72: Redemption

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

3/8/2006

After losing in last year's final, ORU dominates Cougars

Golden Eagles end 22-year NCAA Tournament drought

Tutt, Owen, Green combine for 64 points in victory

The first half unfolded like a replay of Oral Roberts University's worst basketball nightmare. Then the Golden Eagles got mad and got even.

Caleb Green got angry enough to drag a defender wrapped around his leg five steps to score a layup. Larry Owens got mad enough to contest every shot in the time zone.

"It was everybody getting mad and us doing it as a team. We didn't want to come out like we did last year," said guard Ken Tutt.

ORU's energy level went off the charts in a second-half run of 18 straight points over a six-minute span that carried the Eagles to an 85-72 win over Chicago State in Tuesday's final of the Mid-Con Tournament before 5,144 at the Union Multipurpose Activity Center.

Tutt scored a game-high 25 points and was named tournament MVP, joining Owens (24 points) and Green (15 points, 10 rebounds) on the all-tournament team.

The Eagles' 21st win nailed down their first NCAA Tournament berth in 22 years, much to the delight of university president Richard Roberts.

Roberts hugged ORU coach Scott Sutton, who notched his 121st win in his seventh year at the helm.

"(Roberts) said he knew there were two proud fathers -- Chancellor (Oral) Roberts and my father (Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton)," Scott Sutton said.

"I'm happy for our players, but I'm also happy for President Roberts. He loves athletics and had faith in me seven years ago to get the job done. We haven't gotten here as quickly as I thought we would, but this is a great reward for our kids and our university."

It also let Sutton and his players finally put last year's championship-game loss to Oakland behind them.

"I knew that winning tonight was the only way I could get over that loss," Sutton said.

ORU fans celebrated by standing and cheering the final minute while the five starters -- Green, Owens, Tutt, Mickey Michalec and Jonathan Bluitt -- weaved back and forth along the sideline in a man-sized group hug. And then pandemonium broke out as hundreds of Mabee Maniacs -- ORU's student section -- stormed the court to mob their heroes.

Less than an hour before, the heroes had huddled in the same locker room they used in last year's championship loss to Oakland, wondering what had hit them in the first half.

Royce Parran and David Holston had hit them. The tiny guards scored eight points each and dictated tempo for the first 20 minutes. And a sixth-seeded team ORU had beaten twice in the regular season, with the same record (11-18) Oakland had in last year's final, led 34-33.

If one needed another omen, the Eagles were 0-8 this year when trailing at halftime.

The 5-foot-9 Parran seemed like the only man on the floor in the first half. In one sequence, he skied over Owens to strip a rebound, lost the ball in the lane and quickly recovered on the other end, missed a shot and beat Owens and Green to the glass for a layin.

The Eagles made 12-of-23 first-half shots, but were tentative and out of rhythm much of the time. They lost nine turnovers.

"We told the guys to loosen up. They were really tight," said ORU assistant Tom Hankins.

Student assistant Mike Minyard said, "Coach Sutton reminded them of what they were playing for. He said if they lost again (in the final) after losing to Oakland last year, they'd feel 10 times worse than last year. He said they would never forget it."

The Eagles played a second half to remember. Tutt opened with a 3-pointer and the Eagles were ahead again. Chicago State only led one more time.

At 44-44, Tutt nailed his fourth trey, starting an 18-0 run. Chicago State didn't score for six minutes.

Yemi Ogunoye followed Tutt's 3-pointer with two foul shots, then Green dragged Nikko Briteramos through the lane for a layup. Green's next two minutes were furious. On successive defensive trips, he ripped rebounds out of a crowd. On the third, he raced to the weakside to cut off Holston's baseline drive and stole the ball.

ORU's lead mounted to 62-44 before Chicago State scored again with 9:46 left, and by then, the Mabee Maniacs were in a partying mood.