Depaul

roundballfan

If we don't talk about the game does it turn into a win?  Does anybody think they will have a 500 season? I thought  25 plus wins, they prove me wrong with evey outing.I am at a loss at what the coach is trying to do, as Spock would say it is illogical.  I am trying to be nice for the holidays but it won't take much to push my buttons.  I know how hard this season must be for our players.  I don't want to hear it is a building year any longer.  We have five girls who seen plenty of playing time last year and add to that Cooper and Shelton.  We should be having a great winning year not a get your head down while we kick your rear year!!!!!!  Depaul shot the ball 17 times more than ORU and shot 30 three point shots to our 15.  If it wasn't for Depaul giving us 27 free throws the game would have been worse!  We have a problem in this program, it's time to get it fixed!!  I know some of you will have excuses but the bottom line is STOP making excuses and get this womens program back to being respectful.  If we don't make a better showing in the Southland we are sunk for the season.  The Southland conference looks like they have some good teams playing good ball.  As a nation we are worried about the Fiscal Cliff and as an ORU womens basketball fan I'm worried about the Basketball Cliff. :sweat:

Hey roundball, want to go fishing sometime, you are the kinda person I think I could quite possbily get along with!  I agree with you 100%, this team has the talent, however, it is not being utilized!  Such a shame, I feel bad for the young women that dedicate so much of their time and effort this year.  I hope they can at least with the conference tournament, doesn't matter if they win the league if they don't win the post season tourney!

While I agree that we are not playing up to the potential anyone thought we would be, I do not think that many would have expected a win out of the DePaul game.  They are a really good team. The way I kind of look at this is......If Adrian Peterson is your running back and you throw the ball 50 times a game you are neutralizing the best part of your game, in our case if zone d is better suited for our girls then lets play zone d, if we have more success with man d then lets play man d.  I do think for anyone to hint towards the coach being at fault is not right either..... Do you think the coaching staff wants to continue to lose games?  Probably not.  They have lost a couple games that I will go on record saying they should have won!  But their non conference schedule has been BRUTAL.  It will do nothing more than make sure that they are a battle tested team heading in to the conference!  I would bet to say that ORU women probably have the highest "strength of schedule" played to date in the Southland Conference!

A very disappointing 97-74 defeat at DePaul...and only 17 for Kevi....she's gonna come up short of 3000 in all liklihood....ORU now 3-8 but hopefully the Southland schedule will get us on the positive side of .500 by the end of January..... :sweat:

JJones do you and others on here  think the team goes into the games thinking they are not good enough to win?  If they do,  they shouldn't and this is where coaching comes into play.  A coach must get the team mentally and physically up for each and every game,  period.  Did Butler go into their game thinking they couldn't beat # 1 Indiana?  No, they knew they where there to play.  Our girls act like they have given up.  This in itself is not good going into the Southland Conference.  People on here act like once we get into conference play we will dominate.  I know we have the talent but now its up to coach and her assistants to get the girls motivated to play some ball.  I am 100% behind our girls and coaching staff but its time to get serious and quit making excuses that this is a building year or brutal schedule.  Why should we not have beat Depaul?  The only team that should have really beaten us handedly was Baylor.  I will again say it,  I don't care who played what defense and offense do what works for the team.  When we played Nebraska their announcers even said, ORU is now moving the ball up the court and is making a comeback, this is the kind of play they need to play if they want to get into this game.  The other announcer said, ORU loves the running style of ball but it seems they don't play it enough.  The other annnouncer said, I would think they would play what works best for them.  Then we stopped running and they said looks like they have quit doing what was working.  Dear to goodness, if other team announcers can see what is happening then why can't we at ORU?  This is not a coach bashing I am just tired of losing when I know we are a better team than what we are showing. 

OldTimer and roundballfan almost sound like father and son...if I didn't know any better.

I will go over this one more time, slowly, since basic comprehension and understanding seem to be a recurring issue with you two...

A first year coach, putting in their philosophy, USUALLY struggles a bit, the first year or two. I could give THOUSANDS of examples, but for you guys, I'll give one that hits close to both of your hearts. Let's take the Utah State women's basketball program, as a RANDOM example. Last year they won 21 games, made the WNIT, and were picked as the pre-season WAC favorite this year. But alas, they got a new coach in the off-season and have stumbled to a 5-9 record, despite their (new) AWESOME coach. NEWSFLASH...wait for it...the new coach needs some time to mold the team the way he/she wants it. Novel concept, I know.

And, even with all that said, I can GUARANTEE you that 'our' (ORU in case you are confused), new coaching staff will have this team playing its' best in February & March and have a really good shot at the conference title and NCAA tourney, something the previous (super-awesome) coach, failed to do in his final few seasons.

Voice, I gotta step in here and defend a little bit.  Yes, Jerry failed to take a team to the NCAA tourney his final 3 years.  But lets not forget that in the first year, when SDSU beat them in OT in the conference tourney championship game, we were playing with 3 freshman averaging 25-38 minutes a game. 

2nd year, Jaci Bigham goes down late in the season with an ACL injury and we have to rely on Priscila to come in and run the offense, she did good for a while and also struggled when it counted the most.

Year 3, Jaci has a 2nd knee procedure, Cristal has a knee procedure, Savanna has a knee procedure, Emma has a knee procedure, and alas they get beat in the first round of the conference tourney.

So, while you are right that they missed the NCAA tourney his final "few" seasons, there were also some very unfortunate events that most certainly played in to them not getting as far as the could have with a healthy team.

My point, is simply that a new coach at ANY level, takes a little time to implement their 'system' and do things their way. (See Utah St.)

Except for ORU women's basketball. Here, we cut the coaches throat, 5 games into their first season.

Dallas Cowboy fans, Kentucky basketball fans, Alabama football fans got nothing on 'oldtimer' & 'roundballfan'.