ORU rolled at UALR

theeagleman5

What's going on this week?....a promising start to the new season has stalled with another rout at UALR.....ORU gets behind 33 at half by giving up 51 in the first stanza and falls easily, 79-47.....only 12 for Kevi..... :sweat: .....where's the defense and TheEagleman is guessing that opponents are focusing on Luper.....gotta right the ship ASAP!...... :doh:

Eagleman you need to ask ORUVoice he seems to know all the answers! I can tell you my opinion if ORUVoice would stop getting defensive every time I express myself. I have watched every game for many years and I can tell you our defense is not working! Our girls seem to be a step behind in man to man defense. We are just not as a whole team athletic enough to run man to man the whole game. We have NO front court trapping as in the past NO transition points and the girls look confused. It needs mixed up!! We have three returning starters combined with the athleticism of Cooper, Shelton, and Buck and we went from a team that lead the nation in steals or in the top five each year to a team that had one steal in the last two games!I know what has worked for this group of girls in the past and we need to combine a little past with a little future to get some more positive results. ORU women looked defeated within the first ten minutes of the UALR game. I hope Coach can get these girls ready because we have a lot of basketball left. As for the offense, we could use some ball movement with some picks or screens to help get our shooters open and we need to block out for rebounds. We have potential and I am not giving up on this group we WILL get it together!!!!!! :sweat:

Your opinion is valued, Roundball....and hopefully Coach Cussin can find a way to get Kevi some open shots and get the girls to play better D.....it's a long season...lots more basketball to be played....enjoy the Turkey and then some ORU men's roundball for dessert!.... :nerd:

You act like we were a defensive juggernaut over the past 3 years?!? I guess you missed all those games where we gave up layup after layup after layup?

Look...you obviously have an affection for Fink. And, that's fine. He's a decent fellow and a decent coach. But, to ALREADY be openly critical of the new staff, 4 games in, makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR, that you have an agenda.

And, that's fine too. It's your right. But for me, I am going to allow the new staff some time to make the changes that they see best for the LONG TERM success of the program. And, how quickly we forget how many times we've been to the NCAA tourney in the past 5 years...? I'll give you a hint, the number is less than 1.

• Upvote 1

Voice, we were a defensive jugger-NOT the past 3 years lol.. Where were you? If all that it takes to beat us this year is to shut down and double team Luper then we are in for a long year.

It is going to take some tinkering with the lineups, the subs, the defensive sets and so forth to find where this years team can excel, we certainly have the talent to beat the majority of the teams we play this year, we just have to implement and execute solid game plans.

One thing I have always thought..... Don't change what you do from week to week, if you do that to game plan for the team you are playing then you are getting away from the strengths of our program. Do what you do best and do it game in and game out. Make everyone else adjust to what you do.

Should be a bright year!

Not sure how to respond. In one sentence you say "we need to tinker with lineups, subs, defensive sets". Then, you say that you "don't change/make everyone adjust to you"?

I is corn-fused by your circular logic. But, I ain't real bright, so that could explain it!

All I know is that we lost 11 games last year and I want to say about the same amount the previous number of years. To expect a new coaching staff to come in and have completely different/better results in their first year, seems illogical.

That's the part that gets me...it's not like we have been world-beaters the past few seasons and suddenly we are horrible.

I meant we shouldn't adjust the tempo in which we play, or completely change the style of basketball that is "oru basketball"... Tinkering with the lineups, and subs isn't adjsuting to what the other team is doing, at least in my opinion it isn't. If you change the way you play the game to adjust to another team, then you aren't going to have success, you must make them adjust to what you are doing!

We weren't world beaters by any means. But we would win the games we probably should have won, even won a few we probably shouldn't have (wisonsin, Dakotas when we were down 20 in the second half 3 times) I understand it was an exhibition, but loosing to Harding and being run out of the gym by ULAR (a team we beat soundly last year) is just not up to the potential we have.

I will be the first to admit that the past few years and what looks like this year also, we play down to our competition and by the time we finally figure out what is happening, it is too late!

Maybe coachin Offense and Defense isn't enough anymore.... Maybe coaching hustle, determination, will, desire, want and so forth is more of what this team needs. They have the IQ, maybe they need a kick start so to speak!

Yes, we lost to UALR, a team we beat last year. But don't forget, we beat TU, a team we lost to the past two years.

Kick start? Now you may be onto something?!? Coach Jones - Assistant Coach in charge of Hustle!

Coach Jones- Assistant Coach in charge of Hustle...... Has a ring to it, I like it!!!! You may be the one who is on to something! TU, a team we should have beat two years ago. Up by 11 with 3 min to play. One of the girls turning the ball over twice in the final 2 minutes and also missing a wide open lay up for the win.... We should have won 2 of the last 3...

woulda coulda shoulda all day long