UT-A

Holtontulsa

Girls played well against UTA...

I don't understand, when you have a player the caliber of Luper, when she is up for the Naismith award (you know she will have to really put up some good number to even be looked it for a chance of winning), how do you sit her the final 12 minutes of the game... What a JOKE!!!

Kevi finished with 32 points on 13/19 shooting... Why would you not leave her in and at least let her get 40!!!

I respectfully disagree. I like that most the starters were pulled at the under 12 timeout. There is no need to risk an injury and it was an opportunity to see the bench for extended minutes against a D1 team early in the season. Besides, strong performances against the better non-conference opponents will go much further for post season awards for Luper than scoring 40 on UTA.

The only thing I would complain about was the FT shooting...ouch.

Great start of the season for the Golden Eagles!!!

I fully agree with you on the free throw shooting alum..... 28/52 on the year so far, 53.8% is not good at all..... If I remember correctly, we were in the top 20 last year as a team in FT%

That could haunt us if we can't figure that out!

I do kind of agree with the fundamental point of this thread that Kevi Luper needs "good numbers" inorder to get the full recognition she deserves in this new conference and for her senior year. The higher her scoring average the more people it will draw out to the games, and the more attention it will get around the conference. If she's hot, I think we should let her roll the score up, get her points, get her steals. When she had that blow out game as a freshman against Drexel for 40-points -- in a blowout -- it made women's basketball a lot more interesting to watch, and gave ORU a lot of good press, and was the starting point for her "Player of the Year" award as a Freshman.

When Ken Trickey was coaching, he encouraged Fuqua, Roberts and Greg Sutton to put up shots and get their points ... and then some. He might pull them in the last couple of minutes, but Fuqua had some big scoring nights -- like 55-points against College of the South. In the end, it was his average ... and Sutton's average that got them all that national attention, and a ton of good press, and put people in the stands to watch the games, too. Nobody seemed to care that they played most of the game -- whether it as a blowout or not.

Anyway, I hope Kevi gets some big numbers against whoever she can, because she will have games where she will struggle to get 20. UT-Arlington jumped the league, and the rest of the Southland Conference would have probably enjoyed seeing them get their butts kicked by Kevi and ORU. I, too would have like to see her get 40+ points! It would have been a good headline, and raised her season average over 30-points. Oh, well ... Maybe next time...

Nice 73-41 win for ORU today....Kevi gets 32... :inlove::clap::eagles: .....TheEagleman can see it both ways but taking her out early is probably for the best....if your top player blows out a knee late in a game with a 30+ point lead....the coach is going to get skewered....save it for Arkansas on Monday at Mabee...... :nerd:

A coach cannot make coaching decisions based upon trying to bump up stats so that a player can get more recognition during her senior year. A coach instead coaches for the purpose of the team winning games. Getting Kevi rest and decreasing her injury risk are much more important than padding a stat line. Also, the other players need real game experience, a chance to build some confidence, and an opportunity to demonstrate what they can offer. Kevi and Jaci will be gone next year, and those other players will be relied on heavily, so they need as much experience as they can get.

Some of the players at the end of the bench work very hard in practice and hope for an opportunity to get some playing time. It used to bother me when my brother-in-law was in high school at Jenks and was a backup WR and special teamer. Jenks would be destroying someone in the 4th quarter 49-7 and the coach would still have the starters in the game trying to squeeze every last point and yard out of the game. There were probably 90 players lined up on the sidelines every game, and the same 24 players (or so) played nearly the entire time, even though the other 66 players gave all they could in practice, etc. My brother-in-law just got excited if he could line up as a decoy WR a few times in a season.

Great effort by the ladies and great job by the coach to think about the entire team and take a long-term view rather than just focusing on the short-term.

• Upvote 1

Dumbest. Thread. Ever.

Thanks to Jason for bring a little sanity to it...

Agreed - latest installment in a series of dumb threads from this particular poster, who if he/she isn't related to Kevi, would apparently like to be.

"Hey, here's an idea - lets sell tickets just to watch Kevi shoot in warm-ups! And then, we can watch Kevi dribble!" And then, we can watch Kevi study for a test!! Kevi! Kevi! Kevi!"

For the record, there's "I" in "team", neither is there "K-E-V-I", or "J-A-Y-C-E", etc.

If we want to win as many games as possible, everyone needs playing time, especially those on the bench, especially when you are up 30, and especially when you're on the road. You don't get many opportunities like that; have to take advantage of them.

There is no I but there is a me. I gurantee the way old Titan assumes people are related, he is the one related. Quite the contradicting fellow huh? He has a good cover why not use it.

Then again, that would be an ignorant assumption. As we all know, he has been around before Kevi. Oh the game of cloak and dagger we play on here. All to figure out each one's identity.

Daboss...Just for the record, OT know who JJONES is and vice versa.

OT's 'family' comment toward JJ was simply ribbing him, for 'seemingly' being more concerned about individual stats over team accomplishments.

What's funny and kinda sad, is that the player being discussed is likely a humble, unassuming person, who would willingly sacrifice her own stat line, for the team's success. I have never spoken to her, but me thinks she's not nearly consumed by all of this, as us clowns typing away at our keyboards.

I say we all back off the rhetoric and agendas, and enjoy this team and season. We will likely win a bunch more than we lose. And, we can all enjoy watching these 'kids' play a 'game' for our amusement. Personally, I'm kind of excited about this group and am very happy that we are 2-1, with the Mayor's Cup back where it belongs!