Who Will Be The Next ORU Women's Basketball Coach?

Old Titan

Three potential candidates pop to mind:

1. Misti Cussen - long-time lead assistant for Jerry

2. Eric Ely - two-time assistant coach for Jerry, currently an assistant at Oregon State

3. Krista Ragan-Binam - ORU Hall of Famer; former head coach at Coweta High School, currently head coach at Owasso High School.

Anyone else you can think of?

I watched the link you provided in the other thread, and Finkbeiner all but said that Coach Cussen would get the job. It sounded like he wants to take the foreign coach with him to Utah State to keep his Euro pipeline. Also mentioned targeting a former player as another one of his assistants.

I watched the link you provided in the other thread, and Finkbeiner all but said that Coach Cussen would get the job. It sounded like he wants to take the foreign coach with him to Utah State to keep his Euro pipeline. Also mentioned targeting a former player as another one of his assistants.

I also wondered if by what he said he would be calling Eric Ely to join him again. Eric's been at Oregon State the past couple years, but those guys seem like a natural together. Whatever it's been that has caused Eric to have a bit of wanderlust (he did a stint as an assistant at Missouri before returning to ORU, then left again for OSU), maybe it would be resolved at USU.

I think Eric has left ORU twice due to the money. He was probably given an offer he couldn't refuse and took it (don't know that for sure, so don't go to the bank with it). At USU, there will be more money available for assistant coaches and recruiting, which is the by-product of gender equity at a football school and using taxpayer dollars.

I think Eric has left ORU twice due to the money. He was probably given an offer he couldn't refuse and took it (don't know that for sure, so don't go to the bank with it). At USU, there will be more money available for assistant coaches and recruiting, which is the by-product of gender equity at a football school and using taxpayer dollars.

That's what I figured, although I wasn't sure enough to post it.

I was also a little surprised that Jerry suggested that daughter Bethany might me transferring to Utah State. She seems really plugged in at ORU, and is close friends (and roommate) with one of the girls from our church. The impression is that she's really comfortable here. She even became a member at our chuch not long ago. May be tough to pry her free of the grip of Tulsa and ORU - but then, a lot of us could say the same.

Maybe UConn's Geno Auriemma is looking for a new challenge?????......... ;-)

Not Krista, she was fired from Coweta for a bad rep of being too hard on the girls and too vocal. (at least that is the rumor) I would agree with Misti obviously being in the lead for the job. She knows the players, the recruits and the school, she would be the easiest choice.

I will, however, add Dave Wilburs name to the list. He was an assistant under Jerry for a few years right before Kevi and Jaci came in.. He has been at D2 school Arkansas Tech and has led them to a 132-23 record.. He currently is ranked 3 is active coaches for the best winning % in D2... I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the mix either... I think he or Misti would be a fantastic pick.

Press conference has been called for 10:00 a.m. Friday in the Mabee Center Press Room.

Would have to be Misti on such short turnaround - wouldn't it?

Without a doubt. And not a more deserving person around. She'll be a great coach. From all I can tell, has a great rapport with the players. I'd be pretty shocked if it were anyone else - especially with the quick turn-around. Not much of a coaching search if it's not Misti.

That makes sense....sounds like a good choice......this team has too much talent not to make the NCAA tournament in Kevi's Senior year..... :!:

The Tulsa World is reporting that Krista Ragan-Binam is under consideration for an assistant's job at ORU.