Starting Lineups

JoeyO

Projected starting lineup tonight:

JB

Ken

Larry

Yemi

Caleb

I think Mickey is a total non-factor tonight against such an athletic team like CSU. My thought is that tonight could be one of those monster games for Caleb. They don't have anyone who can match up with him -- he might put on a show tonight. The key for us is getting Caleb a touch every possession. The defense reacts so drastically when he has the ball. Our offense totally opens up or he scores. Something I also noticed when we played Western and some against Valpo is that we start to collapse when we stop being selective with our shots. We cannot settle for bad shots. If we work the ball around good things happen.

Any thoughts?

With Mickey, Caleb and Larry in the game at the same time, there is no way CSU can cover all three. Larry can have a field day against a smaller defender if the bigger guys have to cover Mickey (or Yemi).

Projected starting lineup tonight:

JB

Ken

Larry

Yemi

Caleb

I think Mickey is a total non-factor tonight against such an athletic team like CSU. My thought is that tonight could be one of those monster games for Caleb. They don't have anyone who can match up with him -- he might put on a show tonight. The key for us is getting Caleb a touch every possession. The defense reacts so drastically when he has the ball. Our offense totally opens up or he scores. Something I also noticed when we played Western and some against Valpo is that we start to collapse when we stop being selective with our shots. We cannot settle for bad shots. If we work the ball around good things happen.

Any thoughts?

MJ, I thought we moved the ball around exceptionally last night (with a few lapses in the 2nd half). And the credit for that goes to JB! JB got huge props on the Board last night - and boy, did he deserve every single one! But yeah, if we do that again tonight...we will be awfully tough to beat. Oh, and I have to add that a similar defensive effort will be a given in order to dominate and win!

With Mickey, Caleb and Larry in the game at the same time, there is no way CSU can cover all three. Larry can have a field day against a smaller defender if the bigger guys have to cover Mickey (or Yemi).

I just don't think Mickey is quick enough to keep up with this team. Yemi is playing great and we really don't lose that much offense with Mickey on the bench. Mickey might have a field day on offense but it is defense and rebounding that will win this game tonight.

I agree with ETG that we moved the ball around great last night and if we are selective again, we will not be stopped!

We might have to use a zone at times to prevent dribble penetration by the two guards. I agree - defense is the key.

which if we do use zone will have to make sure that we REALLY contest their shots. Those two small guards can shoot 3's pretty well.

Stats from the Chicago State box score:

Parran: 39 minutes played

scored 14 points: 2 for 9 from the field (0 for 3 from 3-point); 10/10 - FT

7 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 turnovers

Holston: 35 minutes played

scored 11 points: 4 for 9 from the field (2 for 6 from 3-point)

1 assist and 2 turnovers

Jones: 35 minutes played

0 for 7 from the field (0 for 4 from 3-point)

1 assist and 1 turnover

i stand corrected, Terry. Unless they just had an off night zone looks like the most viable option.

Not sure you're quick enough to play their guards man to man. You might have to go to a zone just for that reason. And forget the stats, Holston and Parran especially can light it up from 3 if they get on. Last night was not a normal shooting night for either of them.

Watched Parran and Holston warm up Sunday night. Have to be two of the smoothest shooters I have seen in ages. Controlling them will be essential. LO will handle one of them I imagine. JB will give the other one heck. Neither are afraid to penetrate.

Defense, Defense, Defense!

I thought the shot selection was the key last night. When we shot from the perimeter, first thing, we missed. They did not get a stop, we gave them a stop. When we took 25 seconds to work the ball we made great shots.

I predict a blow out because the guys are soooo focused. No one will sneak up on these guys this night.

I agree RLH.... the stats can be deceiving. I did not post them to show anything but what happened last night. We have seen them Parran and Holston light it up in the Mabee Center. You do have to wonder about their legs though, after playing three games in three days - and with all the minutes they log.

It will never happen, but I would love to us try this lineup if they play us man-to-man:

Green

Owens

Vealy

Ogunoye

Ehambe

.... and have either Ehambe or Ogunoye (whoever Parran and Holston are guarding) post them up down low and take advantage of the size differential.

Under that scenario, Larry Owens would play point guard and bring the ball down the court.

Expect the same line-up as last night...

JB

Ken

LO

Caleb

Mickey

A big line-up can really cause problems, because the Chicago State post players are average at best. They have some very talented guards, but look for ORU to just pound it inside all night long with a big line-up. They need to worry about matching up with us and not the other way around. There is no doubt who has the best team. ORU must dictate the style/tempo unlike the championship game 365 days ago.

Mickey - Carter/Briteramos

Yemi - Paran

Jb - Jones

Larry - Hollston

Caleb - Henderson/Calvin

Man to man

with larry and Yemi on those guys, thier arms and speed can keep them under control. No shots from them from the perimeter and when they come inside...Swat city! Make jones beat you shooting.

Our coaches know exactly what they are doing. They have watched game tapes, played against Chicago State twice this year, coached our team all season and they aren't just wishin' & hopin' because their jobs, reputations and pay checks are dependent on how our team does.

Our coaches can't just sit back in an easy chair, watch & say how they think they could do better under a fake name on a message board.

They can sub in whenever they need to, but this is it and I believe in our team and coaches!!!!

JB

Ken

LO

Caleb

Mickey

My line up isn't a wish list - it is the line up.

They need to worry about matching up with us and not the other way around. There is no doubt who has the best team. ORU must dictate the style/tempo unlike the championship game 365 days ago.

I love it ORUMom! You are exactly right.