Justin Morhardt

ORUalum

Morhardt impressed college coaches with his ability to crush a baseball during a showcase last August. In October, he signed with Oral Roberts University, a Division I baseball school out of Tulsa, Okla., that has won its 14 conference tournament titles in a row. The Golden Eagles play in The Summit League.

Colleges weren’t the only entities interested in Morhardt. During Thursday afternoon’s scrimmage at Walker Field against Torrington, scouts from several Major League Baseball teams showed up to watch the 6-3, 195-pounder play. In a Top 100 high school player draft list from Baseball America in December 2011, Morhardt was ranked 99th. He was the only player listed from Connecticut. It’s a complete change for Morhardt from last summer, who didn’t see it coming.

“I wasn’t even going to college until last summer,†Morhardt said. Last summer, my grandfather [former major leaguer Moe Morhardt] kind of kicked my butt, made me pick it up. Started hitting every day, you know, hard work, [with] stuff you’re given, it really comes out.â€

Morhardt, an avid singer, would study music at Oral Roberts, which is a small Christian school.

He still continues to work. Pro scouts have told the slugger that they want to move him to first base because he’s too big, but he has also been told to keep working.

“People have told me don’t limit your options, keep continuing with the footwork, so I’m working on behind the plate,†Morhardt said. “My swing’s come along good, but I’m definitely working the plate.â€

LINK