The NIT

Old Titan

Well, I do think that a coach can be criticized, as long as it doesn't become 'personal'.

Criticizing a grown man, that makes a very nice living, is a different animal. That said, I really don't have a lot of criticism of our coaches. I really think the way we switched up man/zone/press, gave us a good chance to win against WIU.

• Upvote 1

Western Illinois is a pretty good defensive team - look at what they did to SDSU last night. It was difficult to get open on the perimeter and Parks was a beast inside. We did grab a lot of offensive rebounds but could not score down low. They were physcial and denied/deflected the ball into the post. That said, if Parks doesn't make the (improbable) turn around jumper with one second left on the shot clock - we probably eek out a victory.

• Upvote 1

In the interest of bringing this thread back on topic, I would add this:

We might have a chance to make some real noise in the NIT - maybe even make it all the way to New York - but only if we can get more production in the #4 and #5 spots than we had in Sioux Falls.

Can I get an "Amen"? :hai:

• Upvote 1

I agree that we could make some noise in the NIT - especially if we get a home game or two and are matched up with the right teams. I hope our guys can shake off the hard loss and get focused/motivated for the game(s).

We need everyone to bring their "A" game.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, didn't our 3 bigs have 12 points combined? Need some more production there. I would love to see them run specific plays for them like they use to for Caleb specifically the double pick play where Caleb would run under the goal as the ball was swung around putting him in perfect position on the block for a quick turnaround layup.

• Upvote 1

This truly has been a magical season, and hopefully it is not over. Whether it is the NIT or we are blessed with an invite to the "Big Dance", either way is good for our alma mater. Just think of all the free national exposure we have been receiving these past few weeks. The Akron game was fantastic to watch and attracted a lot of attention to ORU. Since then we have been mentioned numerous times on nationally televised sports shows and apparently that is not letting up. In either tourney, we will continue to receive national exposure. Every time we are on national tv, whether the "Big Dance" or the NIT, the University receives the equivalent of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of free advertising for at least two hours each time. Without these tournament appearences, we could not afford to advertise that way on a national scale. I have had numerous people come up to me and start talking about ORU in general and our team in particular, who are not evangelical or charismatic christians. Therefore, I just want to thank the team/coaches/cheerleaders/students/administration for supporting our beloved institution and representing all we stand for in a very positive way!

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

• Upvote 1

This truly has been a magical season, and hopefully it is not over. Whether it is the NIT or we are blessed with an invite to the "Big Dance", either way is good for our alma mater. Just think of all the free national exposure we have been receiving these past few weeks. The Akron game was fantastic to watch and attracted a lot of attention to ORU. Since then we have been mentioned numerous times on nationally televised sports shows and apparently that is not letting up. In either tourney, we will continue to receive national exposure. Every time we are on national tv, whether the "Big Dance" or the NIT, the University receives the equivalent of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of free advertising for at least two hours each time. Without these tournament appearences, we could not afford to advertise that way on a national scale. I have had numerous people come up to me and start talking about ORU in general and our team in particular, who are not evangelical or charismatic christians. Therefore, I just want to thank the team/coaches/cheerleaders/students/administration for supporting our beloved institution and representing all we stand for in a very positive way!

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

That's why all this "bubble talk" is so great: whether we get in to the Field of 68 or not, we're getting talked about a LOT on a national stage. Terrific publicity for the program and the school, especially in the "David and Goliath" context in which we are being represented. Good stuff!

• Upvote 1

Terrific publicity for the program and the school, especially in the "David and Goliath" context in which we are being represented. Good stuff!

In the context of the NCAA bubble talk we are David hoping for a shot at Goliath.

In the context of the Summit League this year going 17-1 we were Goliath and unfortunately Western Illinois was David.

I thought about Valpo, too, after they lost to Detroit in the Horizon final last night.

That's an interesting list, but it's missing a couple of names I think will be in the NIT field: UCLA, Butler, plus one or two other C-USA, SEC and Big East teams to be determined.

Under that scenario, I suspect that they would send the Hogs to the Mabee Center. Closer travel and some regional interest. Although a game against Valpo would also generate interest with ORU fans.

good point ORUTerry. you are right. i think i'd rather see them play Valpo for old times sake.

New nickname for DBH.....THE INVISIBLE MAN.......maybe he should go back to being a blonde?...... :rofl:

Eagles and the Hogs would be a great matchup at Mabee Center - and would be a nice success at the turnstile...

why would Arkansas come to us and not us going to them? Just wondering...seeding?

I think you have to send in paperwork, and there may be some money involved. You have to WANT to host. After that it's probably based on ranking, I suppose.

It is based on seeding - and I guess availability. This is not like the 'old' NIT that was based on selling tickets. They will attempt to seed the 32 teams in the tournament and the upper ranked teams will host unless there are scheduling problems, etc.

My top five guesses of who we might play/host in the NIT (regional and/or rival teams expected to be in the lower half of the 32-team draw):

1. Arkansas

2. Valparaiso

3. Illinois State

4. Colorado

5. Louisiana State