The NIT

Old Titan

At least we got a home game. Apparently the seeding is still political. Not getting on ESPN TV is disappointing but a possible 2nd round matchup with Arizona would probably make it on ESPN or ESPN2.

I'm not sure who to quote as an example of "glass half empty" because if the shoe fits you should recognize yourselves when you stop whining.

We are hosting! Totally great (sorry it is on ESPN3). Now the rest depends on wins.

Great interview of Scott Sutton with clips of Mabee Center. It is all about promoting the university & that has definitely happened. Now we build on it. Since anyone & their duck can sign onto the message board, I for one hate to think that first we whine about not making the NCAA & then whine because we might only host one round of the NIT. Really? How about enjoying the ride one day at a time? Make sure everyone you know is at Wednesday's game & that you aren't late!

A 4 seed is really us getting hosed again....but yeah, we can beat Nevada at home and get an ESPN2 game at Arizona.....that would be interesting.....this ORU team can win a few games if they are motivated to play....sure would be nice to get at least 5-6,000 at Mabee for a late tip off on Wednesday night.....time for Dr. Rutland to do a serious commercial for the game in chapel on Wedesday morning..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

Nice inteview with Coach Sutton.....that's some serious publicity on ESPNU that money cannot buy!..... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

ORUMOM I'm sure you are right and I am glad to have a home game. That gives us a real opportunity to advance. But I am still recovering from realizing that if Xavier brings its A game today ORU would have made the dance. That's really cool but also a hard pill to swallow especially when we were up by 8 points against WIU with about 7 minutes to go. I'll be ready to roll come game time.

• Upvote 1

I called it. C. M. Newton favored the power conference schools. ORU has best RPI, but gets a 4 seed.

The NIT always favors the power conference teams because the NIT is about money, nothing else. They want to make sure MSG has the four best and biggest fan bases, and they're going to seed the tournament accordingly.

Yes they definitely setup some games for better TV ratings. I totally understand that. But when the NCAA selection committee releases the first four out and those teams aren't seeded in the NIT based anywhere near that, I guess it makes me appreciate the objectivity? of the NCAA selection committee.

• Upvote 1

So what do we know about Nevada?

- they won the WAC but lost in their tournament

- they went 4-0 against teams with 51 to 100 RPI [ORU is 51]

- record 26-6

- RPI 66

This part sounds similar to ORU

Has anyone heard if we will get a chance to buy our season ticket seats?

Season ticket holders will be able to buy tickets tomorrow & they go on sale to the public Tuesday. I'm sure you will be hearing.

Good luck in the NIT, I'll be pulling for you guys.

Thanks, FargoBison. Appreciate that!

Just saw on twitter "NIT ticket info was just emailed to season ticket holders. They have Monday 10am to 5pm to buy regular season seats.".

I think we are in a good bracket to make some noise. Having this game at home will help and if we advance to the next round I think we would have a legitimate shot at Arizona. I dont know if you guys saw this but the Summit has 5 teams in post season tourneys. Oakland is in the College Insider Tournament and NDSU and Western Illinois are both in the CBI. I just thought that was cool.

• Upvote 1

Good luck Eagles, beat the WolfPack!

Thanks, 89rabbit! We appreciate the sportsmanship. Good luck to you guys as well.

For a bubble team, the only thing more frustrating this time of year than the NCAA selection process is the NIT seeding process.

C.M. Newton, chairman of the 8-man NIT selection committee, describes their process this way: "We're just a bunch of old, retired basketball coaches. We seed the teams based on this question: 'Who would you least like to play?'"

Translation (in terms of how an old basketball coach looks at it): "Who would you be the most embarrassed to lose to?"

And you put all those teams on the road.

Which explains why the likes of ORU, Middle Tennessee and Drexel are seeded so low, and Tennessee, Stanford and the like are seeded so high.

That, and the fact the last thing the NIT wants in MSG is a championship game featuring Oral Roberts vs. Middle Tennessee.

The bracket has been crafted to put Power Six and East Coast teams in the bast position to make it to New York.

Which, of course, is nothing new. It's the way the tournament has been bracketed for decades.

So much for the "new look" NIT: The more it changes, the more it stays the same...

• Upvote 3