WIU Postgame With HC Sutton

Dr. Cornelius

Standing at the end of the game if you are ahead or behind by 25 points wouldn't have the same feel as if it is a close game, but in general I like the idea.

I do not like the tradition that TU and several other schools have of standing until their team scores. Sometimes there can be several uncomfortable possessions until there is a score and I don't think it gives a "boost" to the home team.

Standing at the end of the game if you are ahead or behind by 25 points wouldn't have the same feel as if it is a close game, but in general I like the idea.

I do not like the tradition that TU and several other schools have of standing until their team scores. Sometimes there can be several uncomfortable possessions until there is a score and I don't think it gives a "boost" to the home team.

I agree with you on both counts, Jason. Standing at the end of a game that's a 20 point blowout wouldn't be all that cool, but it's still something that can make the end of the game a little more special.

I've been to TU a time or two where the crowd standing almost puts more pressure on the team, and when they struggle to score it does get awkward. My main point is that it at least allows for a bit more crowd participation during the game.

They were actually reviewing a WIU three pointer from 2 minutes of game time BACK! One of the strangest things I had ever seen. Not to mention, the shot that they were reviewing, both officials had EMPHATICALLY called at the time.

Seems to me like some officials really enjoy the chance to "review" plays. Personally, I wish they'd do away with it, unless in the final minute of play.

I've never seen a TV game with octogenarian Jim Burr officiating that didn't include at least one TV monitor review.

He either REALLY likes seeing his own saggy butt at the scorer's table on the ESPN replay that night, OR he's simply grown blind over the years.

As for the officials the other night: typical "Amateur Hour" on a Summit League Saturday night. I got the distinct impression all three young men were accustomed to being the "third-man-on-the-totem-pole" for most of the games they call, and that they were completely unprepared to actually take charge of a game when needed.

The foul call on Jake Lliteras when he CLEANLY blocked a Terrell Parks shot in the lane may have been one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen.

I've never seen a TV game with octogenarian Jim Burr officiating that didn't include at least one TV monitor review.

He either REALLY likes seeing his own saggy butt at the scorer's table on the ESPN replay that night, OR he's simply grown blind over the years.

As for the officials the other night: typical "Amateur Hour" on a Summit League Saturday night. I got the distinct impression all three young men were accustomed to being the "third-man-on-the-totem-pole" for most of the games they call, and that they were completely unprepared to actually take charge of a game when needed.

The foul call on Jake Lliteras when he CLEANLY blocked a Terrell Parks shot in the lane may have been one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen.

If you were at the NCAA Tournament game between Arizona and Texas last spring, you know the answer to that! And that was after he'd botched a game so badly in the Big East Touramnet that he withdrew himself from it! I thought after those games that Burr should surely hang up the stripes once the season was over - but instead he's out there calling games again this season. When's he going to give it up? Here's a thought for you - you have ten elite young athletes on the court on any given night in the Big Ten or the Big East - fleet of foot and quick of hand, to a degree that only a handful of players ascend to play at that level. And who is chosen to oversee, officiate, this stable of thoroughbreds? A 64-year old man who has repeatedly demostrated his inability to keep up with the speed of the game. I'm amazed he's still at it.

oh baby....TheEagleman surely remembers the blown call in the Big East tournament game last year by the Jim Burr led officiating crew.....they missed an obvious step out of bounds and a travelling call in the last few seconds which allowed St.Johns to escape with a 2 pt win over Rutgers....it was so bad that the Big East commissioner told the entire crew to say bye-bye for the rest of the tournament....you will not likely see Burr doing any Big East ball again.....he is like 65 yrs old and should be home watching.....he's horrible.....imagine a game with Burr and Yorkovich together...... :puke:

oh baby....TheEagleman surely remembers the blown call in the Big East tournament game last year by the Jim Burr led officiating crew.....they missed an obvious step out of bounds and a travelling call in the last few seconds which allowed St.Johns to escape with a 2 pt win over Rutgers....it was so bad that the Big East commissioner told the entire crew to say bye-bye for the rest of the tournament....you will not likely see Burr doing any Big East ball again.....he is like 65 yrs old and should be home watching.....he's horrible.....imagine a game with Burr and Yorkovich together...... :puke:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some of the NFL referees are in their sixties. I don't know if age is the only issue but the refs do have to run quite a bit to keep up the athletes, especially when we play Oakland.

i just got the chance to watch the game last night. I had read this thread so I was expecting some silly TV watching by the crew. You guys undersold how ridiculous this was. Here's what it looked like to me: Saturday night in the Summit League so we got the best Division II refs that were available and they were soooo excited to have a replay option that they played with their new toy as much as possible.

There were a couple of moving pick fouls called on us that were ridiculous. I am usually a fan of that call, but there should be an actual collision, not just jerseys brushing.