Thinking out loud...

oruvoice

Was thinking the other night during the USD game, rather than having Kevi run thru screens and be HOUNDED, HELD, and HAND-CHECKED all night long...how about isolate her on the mid-low post and feed her the ball from there? From that spot, she can wheel and deal or turn and score.

Put a guard on here and I think she could score at will. Put a post on her and she can out quick her defender or step back for a mid-range jumper.

I realize that she isn't a 'post player' and this may seem unorthodox, but watching her get face guarded, pushed, held, and shoved, all night while running her tail off on the offensive end, is frustrating to watch. I know she has to get frustrated, at times.

Thoughts??

It would seem that we need to do something(s) unorthodox to counter the defensive methods being employed to stop/slow her down. We should at least try this - along with other ideas so that teams would have to work even harder to guard her.

Was thinking the other night during the USD game, rather than having Kevi run thru screens and be HOUNDED, HELD, and HAND-CHECKED all night long...how about isolate her on the mid-low post and feed her the ball from there? From that spot, she can wheel and deal or turn and score.

Put a guard on here and I think she could score at will. Put a post on her and she can out quick her defender or step back for a mid-range jumper.

I realize that she isn't a 'post player' and this may seem unorthodox, but watching her get face guarded, pushed, held, and shoved, all night while running her tail off on the offensive end, is frustrating to watch. I know she has to get frustrated, at times.

Thoughts??

Makes perfect sense, voice, at least to try or to mix it up a bit. The only thing is, when Kevi is on, NOBODY CAN STOP HER! When she has an off night I don't think it's really the defense that's the reason. Still, I think it makes a lot of sense to try something different - messes up scouting reports!

One other thought - when you see Kevi walk onto the court she appears petite, delicate, feminine. But put a basketball in her hand and she's as tough as any post player on the men's team. She fights through all those things you mention with a will and resolve that I've just about never seen in any player - and, as far as I've been able to tell, never appears to get frustrated. Maybe she looks at all the attention she gets from defenders as a badge of honor.

Kevi is a special player....she had a rough shooting night on Monday.....8-25......when she is off....ORU seems to lose......some of the other girls need to step up in those games.....57 pts?...not good....3 pts in the last 7 minutes?....that's almost impossible....and USD only had 6 pts in the same time frame....that's even more impossible....the last 7 minutes of that game must have been a nightmare.... :doh:

Kevi is a special player....she had a rough shooting night on Monday.....8-25......when she is off....ORU seems to lose......some of the other girls need to step up in those games.....57 pts?...not good....3 pts in the last 7 minutes?....that's almost impossible....and USD only had 6 pts in the same time frame....that's even more impossible....the last 7 minutes of that game must have been a nightmare.... :doh:

I'd have to check the play-by-play to tell you how many empty possessions each team had, but it was remarkable. ORU tied the score at 54, then both teams went ICE cold. Neither could hit anything. The action went back and forth a bunch of times, the clock was running down, and you really got the feeling that the first team to score was likely to win. They did.

how about posting up the post players? way too many jump shots. ORU only shots 5 FTs against SD.

how about posting up the post players? way too many jump shots. ORU only shots 5 FTs against SD.

Here..Here!! They did not even attempt to feed the posts until late in the game..just kept firing from the outside.

I agree there, alum. USD was taking it inside a lot - ORU relatively little.

Well, that would assume that we have a post player that can post up, catch the ball, and score.

Jordan can. But, as a true post player, she usually faces a 6-2 to 6-5 opponent, which make it REALLY tough for her at 5-10.

Kevi could cause match-up issues. Put her on the block and if the opponent counters with a "big", she can create on the bounce or step out for a mid-range jumper. Put a "little" on her and she can score over them. Meanwhile, have Jordan pop out and look for open 3's. She's actually a pretty good 3-point shooter.

At least, that's my theory!

ORU has a 6'5" and a 6'2" post that should be able to post up against Summit Teams. Unfortunately one can not stay on the court because of conditioning and the other needs to learn what is a walk in American basketball. While raw, i think they could contribute more if given more touches on the blocks.