Post Game Interview with HC Sutton

Dr. Cornelius

Thanks to Haxton for putting this up online so quick! Really impressed. Haxton is one of the best radio guys in the business we are lucky to have him.

I think Coach is being a little hard on himself, and the guys. I thought we played really well in the first half, with some of the best passing I've seen from us all year. I thought the guys played hard. I'm not sure I can say the same for the bench: at one point, Rod was rolling on the floor with a loose ball on our possession, and I keep looking at our bench for someone to call a quick timeout to save the ball, and no one even moved! We had 4 timeouts left at the time - we couldn't spare one to reward our guy for diving on the floor?

The second half was weird: the refs let a lot of stuff go, and it started to get "chippy", with a LOT of elbowing and holding going on, and we got called for a lot of it. There was also a LOT of smack talk both ways. UMKC seemed more interested in fighting than winning - I think they are just sick and tired of our KC boys whipping their butts 2-3 times EVERY SEASON for the past four years.

Perfect example: we inbound the ball, up 10 with :27 seconds to go in the game, and you know we're just going to cross halfcourt and run the clock out, when they instead decide to press in the backcourt and crash into Domo, sending him to the line for the double bonus and two more points for us that never would have been scored otherwise.

That's not playing hard on their part - that's just dumb...

UMKC was obviously playing hard - this a big game for them because of our KC connection. It did get chippy out there in the second half. I think we let up a bit after we took the 17 point lead in the 2nd half.

UMKC obviously had a strategy to flop against our post players. They were falling down all night like they had been shot. It worked fairly well as they got several calls.

I was kind of surprised we went with a zone defense against a three shooting team like UMKC. But it made sense because we had three players with four fouls - and Manghum was out with an injured wrist. And they seemed to have troubled with it. The press also seemed to work when it was employed.

I was challenged when I yelled at one of the refs last night that it was the worst officiated game I'd seen all season. Maybe it wasn't. But it certainly wasn't a game those guys should be proud of. HARD fouls they just stood by and watched, but blew thier whistles when jerseys brushed. The had no control in that game. Early in the first half I thought they were doing a pretty good job, but maybe because of tension on the court they got totally carried away with their foul calls.

I was challenged when I yelled at one of the refs last night that it was the worst officiated game I'd seen all season. Maybe it wasn't.

I'm watching it right now on my DVR: it was.

Any update on Mikey's status?

Mike Brown tweeted today that one doctor had looked at the knuckle on Mikey's left hand (he's right-handed), and said there was no fracture. He will get another opinion on it tomorrow.

We could been in a bit of trouble if Rod had fouled out with Mickey injured.

The refs were not consistent - or very good. It allowed the game to get a bit chippy.

We could been in a bit of trouble if Rod had fouled out with Mickey injured.

The refs were not consistent - or very good. It allowed the game to get a bit chippy.

Decided to join OT in watching the game again - no wonder things got chippy - Hall was playing rough and in Domo's grill all night long.

I've noticed that teams are being very physical with Morrison - trying to take him out of his game.

Between double teamming him, face guarding him, playing physical, etc - opponents are trying different tactics to try to contain Domo.

I've noticed that teams are being very physical with Morrison - trying to take him out of his game.

Between double teamming him, face guarding him, playing physical, etc - opponents are trying different tactics to try to contain Domo.

Closeups showed it wasn't just Hall that was talking to Domo - pretty much anyone in a blue uni seemed to have something to say to him as he passed by.

Fortunately, Domo seems to feed off that sort of thing. You can see it in his demeanor and in his body language. There's no intimidating him or getting in his head, or so it seems.

I think trying to "get up tight" on Domo actually plays to his advantage: he's so gangly, he manages to get to the basket and get his shot off anyway, when someone is draped on him.

A quicker, physical, equally-tall defender (like Steven Roundtree, for example) might create a problem by cutting off the drives, turning him into a jump shooter for the night, but the way Domo's been shooting, that's no solution for the defense, either: he'll just kill you from the 3-point line.

Right now, Domo's just a really tough assignment. For the past few weeks, he's been "getting his", one way or the other...

I think trying to "get up tight" on Domo actually plays to his advantage: he's so gangly, he manages to get to the basket and get his shot off anyway, when someone is draped on him.

A quicker, physical, equally-tall defender (like Steven Roundtree, for example) might create a problem by cutting off the drives, turning him into a jump shooter for the night, but the way Domo's been shooting, that's no solution for the defense, either: he'll just kill you from the 3-point line.

Right now, Domo's just a really tough assignment. For the past few weeks, he's been "getting his", one way or the other...

One technique that Domo has perfected is to drive right into traffic, suddenly elevate above the fray, and take a relatively undefended jump shot. I am contiually amazed at how he does that - and it happens so quickly his defender barely has a chance to respond. All you see is a mass of humanity with Domo above it all, and the shots he takes rarely miss. As long as he keeps hitting those shots, he will be almost impossible to guard.

My wife and I watching the game Saturday night were amazed at the physical nature of the opponent. They were pushing ,elbowing, jawing and at times down right dirty. I heard Coach coming home and said. Did you watch the same game? Our effort for the most part was really good. The refs were allowing the flop all night long. and Tree looked like "What just happened here" . This was without a doubt the ugliest game by an opponent and our team faired really well. I'm proud of the class act of our players and we kept our cool all night. You could tell Domo wanted the ball to let 23 know who the best in the league was. It was a clinic! :fubar:

My wife and I watching the game Saturday night were amazed at the physical nature of the opponent. They were pushing ,elbowing, jawing and at times down right dirty. I heard Coach coming home and said. Did you watch the same game? Our effort for the most part was really good. The refs were allowing the flop all night long. and Tree looked like "What just happened here" . This was without a doubt the ugliest game by an opponent and our team faired really well. I'm proud of the class act of our players and we kept our cool all night. You could tell Domo wanted the ball to let 23 know who the best in the league was. It was a clinic! :fubar:

All of what you are saying is true. It is especially noticeable on the video. The interesting thing about UMKC is that in spite of having several different coaches during ORU's tenure in the conference they've always played that way. A few years back Marchello Vealy was pretty severely injured by a cheap shot in a scrum over a lose ball, I think it was. They were just living up to their reputation, and may have given it a little bit extra knowing that was likely the last meeting of the two teams for a long time.

Also, I thought that the way their coach went absolutely ballistic about certain calls by the officials was ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously you have to know the right times to respond. After a number or years as a head coach, this guy obviously still doesn't.

One technique that Domo has perfected is to drive right into traffic, suddenly elevate above the fray, and take a relatively undefended jump shot. I am contiually amazed at how he does that - and it happens so quickly his defender barely has a chance to respond. All you see is a mass of humanity with Domo above it all, and the shots he takes rarely miss. As long as he keeps hitting those shots, he will be almost impossible to guard.

They do not do it often, but I like when they post him up. Between the long arms, high release point, and spin moves it almost always results in points.