SDSU Postgame Thoughts

Old Titan

Short and sweet:

1. The Press (it worked every time we used it).

2. The Zone (should we ever play man against them again? Made Wolters flat-footed).

3. Domo (my apologies: you CAN shoot, you do NOT disappear for long stretches, and you are NOT the same player you were when you were a freshman. What a maturation the past few weeks!).

4. The "Bigs" (whenever we needed a big basket, Craion and Roundtree provided it).

That's your ballgame!

Have no idea if we can beat the xDSU's in their own cribs, or even in Sioux Falls. We haven't won anything permanent yet.

But we did what we had to do - and in spectacular fashion - in these past five games.

Now, we are in position to at worst be in play for a Saturday game in Sioux Falls as #1 or #2 seed, and at best put together a record the likes of which we have not seen since the '70's.

WELL DONE, BOYS!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. John Yorkovich called the game last night, his first in the Mabee Center since 2008, and was not a factor. Yes, I called him Yorkovich, and as long as he continues to call our games professionally and competently, as he did last night, I see no reason to use my other nickname for him. Dude called a good game: even his call on Warren of the "basket-is-good-but-that's-a-charge" was correct, and seldom seen these days. So much for us "black listing" him, though, huh? I guess the league office says, "Screw you guys and your new conference - we're sending whatever referee we want."

You hit on all my major points. The press & zone defenses flustered them and changed the complexion of the game.

The team is playing very confidently on offense. I hope we don't lose our defensive focus/intensity because the time will come when the shots won't fall. Our offense is coming from everyone - we have lots of options and it makes it hard for opponents to game plan us. Lots of unselfish play - i.e. Niles with six assists.

Our rebounding and lack of turnovers also give us more shot attempts....which also helps.

DoMo is in a zone - let's hope he stays in it. He is very confident right now, as well as efficient.

very good recap OT and Terry. Thanks as always for the great analysis.

I'll add one more point --- I thought ORU got good minutes from Manghum when Rod went to the bench in the first half with 2 fouls.

I still need tmh8286 to sign off on a new and improved Yorkovich before I will cut the guy some slack. :talk:

TheEagleman is watching the replay on FCS right now....just a tremendous performance by DoMo and also big games from Niles, Craion, Tree and Pearson who did a great job on Wolters while running the offense....another 40 minute effort from this ORU team that has improved tremendously in the past two months....now we need to keep building on this kind of game as we head towards the tournament....big game coming up this Thursday at WIU....we need to knock the Leathernecks off their perch by sticking it to them early..... :nerd:

I'm also keeping my eye on Yorkovich.....so far he hasn't really offended me.....still hard to believe that the Summit League sent him to Mabee Center.....TheEagleman agrees that this is a clear indication that the League office isn't going to do ORU any favors in this our final Summit season.... |(

Had a fairly lengthy discussion of last night's use of the zone with a friend at church this AM, who argued that while we had success with it last night, we were lucky, because SDSU can shoot the three so effectively, and that they'll be primed and ready for it if we should try it in Brookings. My response was that it DID take SDSU out of rhythm, which apparently affected their shooting, resulting in them missing several treys after that, and TOTALLY took Wolters out of the game. I also don't think we would have stayed in it as long as we did if it hadn't been working.

I have to agree, though, that SDSU will be ready for it next time.

I think Yorkovich, who simply doesn't call that many D-1 games, being sent to Tulsa is likely more indicative of the dearth of referees available on a Saturday night for wht the Summit League pays, as opposed to any conspiracy by the league office.

But it does seem odd that the only time we ever seem to get that Scandinavian is when we play the Nordic schools in our league.

This game turned out to be a lot like that wildlife video posted the other day where the Eagle swoops down and claps the talons on the poor defenseless Jackrabbit....ORU just pounced on SDSU in the last 10 minutes or so and Wolters only had 2 points in the final 14:45......what a team effort by ORU....these 3 games this week were all just fantastic efforts particularly in the 2nd half.....best stretch of ORU basketball that TheEagleman has seen in the past few years!.... :clap:

very good recap OT and Terry. Thanks as always for the great analysis.

I'll add one more point --- I thought ORU got good minutes from Manghum when Rod went to the bench in the first half with 2 fouls.

I still need tmh8286 to sign off on a new and improved Yorkovich before I will cut the guy some slack. :talk:

Haha!! I was just about to do THAT VERY THING! Yorkovich was not a problem in the game last night - in fact, I thought he did a great job! I think we've just experienced two of the best-called conference games that I can remember watching at Mabee Center. There are always things you think they miss, or calls that you think are bogus, but there was very little of that in either of these games.

Not only that, but I came home and watched the replay, and virtually every call was obvious on TV and totally legit. Some of the odd calls away from the ball, especially against SDSU, were clear on replay (not so clear during the game), and likely were a result of SDSU playing fatigued and a step slower than ORU.

I don't think I booed the officials ONE TIME in the past two games, and that's GOT to be a record. As for Yorkovich, he can come to my house for dinner any time! The friend mentioned above said that the refs were a non-factor - in fact, he didn't even remember noticing them during the game!! Now how often can you say THAT in a conference game?

Haha!! I was just about to do THAT VERY THING! Yorkovich was a non-factor in the game last night - in fact, I thought he did a great job! I think we've just experienced two of the best-called conference games that I can remember watching at Mabee Center. There are always things you think they miss, or calls that you think are bogus, but there was very little of that in either of these games.

Not only that, but I came home and watched the replay, and virtually every call was obvious on TV and totally legit. Some of the odd calls away from the ball, especially against SDSU, were clear on replay (not so clear during the game), and likely were a result of SDSU playing fatigued and a step slower than ORU.

I don't think I booed the officials ONE TIME in the past two games, and that's GOT to be a record. As for Yorkovich, he can come to my house for dinner any time! In fact, my friend mentioned above said that the refs were a non-factor - in fact, he didn't even remember noticing them during the game!! Now how often can you say THAT in a conference game?

+1

The only missed call I saw all night was the first foul called on Roundtree, for pushing off on a defensive rebound, but I could see why the official made the mistake: Dystra went flying out of bounds like he had been pushed, when in fact he had just miss-timed his jump. Forgivable call.

I saw a couple fouls that were not necessary but they let the guys play the last two games that I have seen and I left saying. "Is this Summit League Refs?" But what I really saw is that the coach has allowed our players to play an up tempo style of Basketball and they are thriving on it. 97points? Who would have thunk it? I for one love this brand of basketball and the zone defense reguardless of if they are ready for it or not will assist us in changing our game stategy and it is a beautiful thing. ORU has taken it's game to a new level! 8)

TheEagleman even noticed Yorkovich chatting politely with Coach Scott Sutton midway thru the 2nd half during a timeout.....will wonders never cease?..... :wasntme:

I went to the SDSU board after the game just to see what everyone had to say about it. I love the respect we are getting. Many of their fans were saying how they could not wait until we leave the conference and how they will not miss us at all because of all the trouble we give them. It was awesome to read!

Any comments about the game last night has to be preceeded by a huge compliment to the players and the coaches. These guys have put terrific effort into a great post Christmas run. A long and successful road trip followed by two great showings at home. Domo's recent performances have been a thing of beauty. Pearson's hustle and heart seem to have cured the turnover problem. Niles is back to quietly putting up 15, and Tree is playing like we had been told he could. DBH's return has been marked by terrific effort and productive outings.

I have two comments regarding last nights' game.

First is following up OT's comments about the "Bigs". Points in the paint 40-22 in favor of ORU. With DBH only scoring 2, this stat is really significant. The Eagles won the rebound drill 31-21 (10-5 on offensive RB advantage). Three Eagles had 7 RBs, while only one Rabbit had as many as 4. The Eagle "Bigs" were indeed big.

The second is just a blow about the most recent but all too common lack of respect ORU gets from the Tulsa World. I was hoping against hope that this time they might actually give Domo a decent headline on page 1 of the sports section today. Yeah right. How about a slightly-larger-than-classified font headline on page 5? Is that rediculous or what! TU with a losing record, loses at home to a team ORU beats, and that is on the front page. (Not that I really mind TU's problems being on page 1 mind you). It is just so utterly predictable that even with a very special season under way at ORU, the editors at the Tulsa World just don't want to give the program any respect. I presume that the beat writer would love to see his story on page 1, thus my gripe about the editor. Nothing new - but I thought a career performance over a very good team might just be treated differently this morning. Nope - apparently not going to happen.

Great post, tbone.

I also wanted to tell you guys - Domo's parents were sitting a couple rows behind us last night, and I made a point to meet them after the game. As you might expect knowing Domo, they were REALLY nice people. I told them how much we love him around here. Also pointed out that he put on quite a show for them last night!

DoMo is a class act....TU and the Tulsa World are yesterdays old news!..... |(

Any comments about the game last night has to be preceeded by a huge compliment to the players and the coaches. These guys have put terrific effort into a great post Christmas run. A long and successful road trip followed by two great showings at home. Domo's recent performances have been a thing of beauty. Pearson's hustle and heart seem to have cured the turnover problem. Niles is back to quietly putting up 15, and Tree is playing like we had been told he could. DBH's return has been marked by terrific effort and productive outings.

I have two comments regarding last nights' game.

First is following up OT's comments about the "Bigs". Points in the paint 40-22 in favor of ORU. With DBH only scoring 2, this stat is really significant. The Eagles won the rebound drill 31-21 (10-5 on offensive RB advantage). Three Eagles had 7 RBs, while only one Rabbit had as many as 4. The Eagle "Bigs" were indeed big.

The second is just a blow about the most recent but all too common lack of respect ORU gets from the Tulsa World. I was hoping against hope that this time they might actually give Domo a decent headline on page 1 of the sports section today. Yeah right. How about a slightly-larger-than-classified font headline on page 5? Is that rediculous or what! TU with a losing record, loses at home to a team ORU beats, and that is on the front page. (Not that I really mind TU's problems being on page 1 mind you). It is just so utterly predictable that even with a very special season under way at ORU, the editors at the Tulsa World just don't want to give the program any respect. I presume that the beat writer would love to see his story on page 1, thus my gripe about the editor. Nothing new - but I thought a career performance over a very good team might just be treated differently this morning. Nope - apparently not going to happen.

I have to admit I was a bit puzzled myself by the Tulsa World layout this morning.

It was almost as if they felt that, having given us so much coverage preceding and following Thursday's game, they had to balance things out. They tried to highlight TU by giving them a headline Saturday morning and playing up the "revenge" factor with SMU, and what does TU do but lose again to SMU at home in heartbreak fashion. And of course, the Tulsa World and the local TV stations are always going to lead with OU and OSU, even when they are losing.

All I know is that the state schools went 1-3 yesterday, with ORU the only winner. You would think that might command a little more respect with the local media, but I think that will come as the season goes on and our record gets even more gaudy.