Stadium at SDSU

89rabbit

This one is for you OT

http://www.arguslead...ews|text|Sports

SDSU baseball gets donation for field upgrade

Former player's gift will pay for stands, press box

Written by

Terry Vandrovec

The South Dakota State baseball team finally will have a stadium to surround Erv Huether Field – maybe even by its home opener.

Jackrabbits athletic director Justin Sell said that former standout shortstop David Lane has made a donation to cover the cost of adding a grandstand and a press box to the playing surface that’s been in use since 2008. The on-campus stadium will seat 700 to 1,000 depending on subsequent gifts and the number of chair-back seats that are included.

Because the winter weather has been so mild, and the scope of the project is such that it doesn’t have to go through the most extensive Board of Regents approval process, there’s hope the construction can be complete in time for the Jacks’ home opener April 10. . . . (read more)

Oh and by the way OT, I know how much you like to talk about the weather up here . . . . Today's high is supposed to be 61 and we haven't seen a flake of snow this winter. You guys must be due for an ice storm, just like every other time we have come down to Tulsa to play ORU.

A press box and grandstands? THAT'S A STADIUM??? BLAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A press box and grandstands is what every single high school in Tulsa and surrounding areas have. And some middle schools.

Mix in bathrooms, locker rooms, indoor batting cages, and a concession stand, and then - MAYBE - you can call it a "stadium".

Lost in the celebration about the construction is that the home opener is APRIL 10!!! Jeez!

And it probably won't be as nice as it was today. I live in Sturgis. We are pretty famous for motorcycles in August, but there were a lot of us with our two-wheelers out on the roads today. We usually have a significant amount of snow lying around this time of year. Back to the topic. It will be nice to have some reasonable baseball facilities in Brookings. Our baseball season is much shorter here than in Tulsa and gets a lot less attention, but it will be great to improve the fan experience for those games that we do have at home.

• 1 month later...

http://terryvandrove...tuesday-tidbits

. . . Work on the SDSU baseball stadium could start as early as Thursday depending on the weather. That would keep things on track to be ready for the April 10 home opener. . . . (read more)

Looks like there will be stands (800 seats total, 450 with chair backs) and a press box for ORU's last trip to Brookings.

http://terryvandrove...tuesday-tidbits

. . . Work on the SDSU baseball stadium could start as early as Thursday depending on the weather. That would keep things on track to be ready for the April 10 home opener. . . . (read more)

Looks like there will be stands (800 seats total, 450 with chair backs) and a press box for ORU's last trip to Brookings.

Congrats, 89rabbit. EVERYONE benefits!

Congrats, 89rabbit. EVERYONE benefits!

Thanks and you are right it will benefit everyone. Current weather conditions sunny and 43 degrees. I am looking forward to them starting on this project.

"Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy"?

I would like to know how they get away with having beer advertising at an NCAA athletic venue.

"Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy"?

I would like to know how they get away with having beer advertising at an NCAA athletic venue.

It's fine as long as it isn't an NCAA tournament event, then it would have to be covered up.

TheEagleman likes it.....can Coors be far behind as the official sponsor of ORU baseball?....... :razz:

• 1 month later...

Looks like a definite improvement. This will probably help your recruiting in the future. I wonder which team will dominate the Summit once ORU (and SUU) leave the conference.

• 4 weeks later...

Strong winds blowing in from the outfield and a 50 percent chance of rain. I came 400 miles. I hope I get to ee some baseball.

Strong winds blowing in from the outfield and a 50 percent chance of rain. I came 400 miles. I hope I get to ee some baseball.

... and now a few sprinkles.