ORU at Oakland Predictions/Comments.....

theeagleman5

As we've all known since the start of the season...this game is a big one...but for reasons we didn't expect....Oakland is fighting to stay in the regular season race....another loss for the Grizz will drop them 3 games behind ORU in the loss column and they will also need to climb ahead of NDSU and SDSU....not very likely.....so this is just about a must game for the home team....Kampe will have to pull everything out of his bag of coaching tricks to try and stop ORU's balanced scoring attack.....after 4 straight losses and 6 out of 8 games it's time for the Grizz to wake up....but it's going to be a tall task against a hot and motivated Golden Eagle team who come in with a chip on their shoulder after losing 6 straight to Oakland....we haven't beaten these guys for almost 3 yrs......but Oakland hasn't played a good game in a month....they were fortunate to beat Valpo a couple weeks ago on a buzzer beater....the last four games they have been hammered by double digits.....ORU meanwhile has won 11 of 13 and played good ball on the road...Oklahoma is the only team to beat us by double digits....Can Oakland recover and win this one?....it's possible but TheEagleman just doesn't see it....we just have too much for the Grizz right now....unless Hamilton goes off for 35-40+ it could be a long night for the home team....ORU is rested over the past few days and ready to go....DoMo is hot and no reason he shouldn't put up 20 or more....Pearson and Mangham need to play some good D and some points from Craion, DBH and Tree and we should be fine...it certainly could be a close one for 40 minutes because the Orena is no picnic to play in.....but TheEagleman sees ORU scratching out an 81-76 win and then come back to Mabee for a big weekend against NDSU and SDSU.....Go Blue!..... ;-)

Guys, we are definitely the better team here, and the Grizz have shown that they are susceptible on their home court. This is our game. I believe that the guys made a choice to have a special season back several games ago. They recognized what they can do and I think they will follow through against Oakland. ORU wins 72-65.

i had this as a loss before the season, so i will stick with that.

Oakland forces ORU to play their tempo game and wins 83-78.

It depends on which Oakland team shows up tonight. Let's hope it is the one that has been playing the last 6-8 games - and that they continue their shooting drought & poor defense.

Michigan will be playing in the Sugar Bowl tonight and I don't think the students at Oakland are back for semester - so it might be a weak crowd in the O'Rena.

If we score 78 points, I think we win. Not sure we can score that much though.

Some statistics to consider:

Top five Oakland players:

Hamilton: 41.9% FG%/32.1% from 3 pt - has taken a lot of shots; average 3.7 to's per game with 4.4 assists

Valentine: 53.2% FG% / 39.5% from 3 pt; 3.1 to's per game with 7.5 rebs per game and 2.5 assists

Bader: 36.0% FG% / 31.8% from 3 pt; 1.4 assists per game

Petros: 52.4 FG% with 8.9 rebs per game

Lucas-Perry: 38.9% FG% / 24.3% 3 pt; 3.6 rebs per game

The Grizzlies have shot below what is normal for them over the last three games - while their opponents have shot lights out... especially from the 3 point line. Let's hope that continues.

We need to make shots because it appears that they will give them to us.

Last three games:

at home vs. Western Michigan: 38.2% fg%/34.3% from 3 pt; 37 rebs and 16 TO's / allowed: 51.0% fg%/ 45.5% 3 pt; 34 rebs and 16 TO's

at NDSU: 37.5% fg% / 19.0% from 3 pt; 25 reb and 16 TO's / allowed 64.4% fg%(!) / 60.0% from 3 pt; 37 rebs and 18 TO's (hard to grab an offensive rebound if the opponent never misses)

at SDSU: 49.0% fg% / 26.3% from 3 pt; 29 rebs and 12 TO's / allowed 55.6% fg% / 47.4% frrom 3 pt; 27 rebs and 9 TO's

Here's what I said in a post on December 27th:

No one in the conference has a tougher opening two weeks in league play than we do, but Oakland got no favors, either: if they get swept in the Dakotas this week, they may be looking at our game at the Orena next Tuesday as a "must win" for any hopes of earning a 1st/2nd Place bye in Sioux Falls.

And here's how Greg Kampe was quoted in Mike Brown's Tulsa World story this morning:

"As 'must-win' a game as you can ever have in January," Oakland coach Greg Kampe said of the rare Tuesday meeting of conference heavyweights.

Scary when I do that, isn't it? ;-)

Oral Roberts Takes Aim At Struggling Oakland (Tulsa World)

Oakland Hosts Long Time Rival For Last Time (Oakland Press)

If Oakland wants to win the conference (or come in second), they need to defend their home court tonight. With three conference losses, they could still come back and win the league - it would just be very difficult. Big game for both teams.

fyi...firstrowsports.tv has a video stream link for tonight's game. hopefully it works come game time.

fyi...firstrowsports.tv has a video stream link for tonight's game. hopefully it works come game time.

Nice job, alum - thanks for the link. Unfortunately I may be at a city council meeting right at game. Hope I'm out of there in time to catch some of the game.

Here's what I said in a post on December 27th:

No one in the conference has a tougher opening two weeks in league play than we do, but Oakland got no favors, either: if they get swept in the Dakotas this week, they may be looking at our game at the Orena next Tuesday as a "must win" for any hopes of earning a 1st/2nd Place bye in Sioux Falls.

And here's how Greg Kampe was quoted in Mike Brown's Tulsa World story this morning:

"As 'must-win' a game as you can ever have in January," Oakland coach Greg Kampe said of the rare Tuesday meeting of conference heavyweights.

Scary when I do that, isn't it? ;-)

Oral Roberts Takes Aim At Struggling Oakland (Tulsa World)

Oakland Hosts Long Time Rival For Last Time (Oakland Press)

Don't want to be nit-picky here, OT, but not all your predictions have been THAT scary! :nerd: How about this one from last August:

Bold Prediction: ORU and Oakland will separate from the rest of the league by the end of January, battling for that coveted No. 1 seed and guaranteed NIT berth the rest of the way, before meeting once again in the finals of the conference tournament in Sioux Falls for all the NCAA marbles.

At least you were HALF right!

Gimme a break: that was August, for cryin' out loud! ;-)

At that time, I thought Ken Holdman and DJ Jackson would be sharing time at the point for ORU, and Cushingberry would be holding down the Oakland defense.

I also predicted back in the summer that at least 2 of the following 4 people would not be in the same job next year: Scott Sutton, Mike Carter, Doug Wojcik, and Bubba Cunningham.

I'm already half-way there (Cunningham to North Carolina), and I feel REALLY confident it will be AT LEAST two, likely three.

Thanks! I was just about to ask that!!

ORU up 43-33 with 16 minutes left...DoMo hot with 17 pts and Hamilton only has 9 on 3-10 shooting....so far so good!.... :nerd:

Huge win for ORU...a real A$$ whooping at the Orena....first week of January and the Grizz are just about done for the Summit regular season title.....5 players in double figures led by DoMo with 20....Niles, Tree and Rod all come up huge........too bad we can't savor this one for a week!..... :clap:

I am BUMMED I missed such a great game!! Must havebeen a really fun one to listen to - or watch. Did the video stream work out?

I'm already half-way there (Cunningham to North Carolina), and I feel REALLY confident it will be AT LEAST two, likely three.

Hmmmm . . . I'm sure curious which of those three you thing is most likely not to leave. I'm going to GUESS it's Carter.