Defense

Holtontulsa

Well my day job doesn't involve coaching defensive basketball so I don't profess to have the answers, but having watched this scheme over several years I don't see much in adjustments being made. Good coaching from our opponents has it figured out. The commentator during the Arkansas game numerous times stated she could not believe ORU was running the same defense that had not worked the previous two meetings between the two teams. This high risk/high reward scheme puts immense pressure on the backside defenders. I have often said I would like to see the stats comparing number of baskets we have gotten off our steals vs. number given up by the backside defenders being 'hung out to dry'. Why not mix the zone up, play some man-to- etc? Try Something!! We seem unwilling to do so

On offense we have a great player around whom most of the scheme is built and rightfully so, but if Kevi is struggling we seem to have no backup plan. So much emplasis has been placed on Kevy's abilities that the post players at times look too much to find Kevy instead of shooting wide open shots themselves....that makes for a one sided offense and easy to defend.

It is not just those wide open threes..it is also the 4 and 5 foot wide open shots around the basket because they have been programmed to look for Kevi