TU Fans Showing Sutton Love

Old Titan

No way that will happen.

I'm amazed when I see someone write "they couldn't blame Scott for taking that job". Are you kidding me?! I would absolutely blame him and anyone who was in favor of that happening.

We have to have a little more pride than that! That inconsequential program isn't worth the time I invested in this post.

I'm not sure what you mean in those two posts.

TU pays higher salaries than we do. They play in a higher-rated conference, against higher-rated teams. They have a larger (albeit more obnoxious) fan base. They have better TV exposure, which helps with recruiting.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to lose Scott to Tulsa. But, we know if we continue to enjoy success, we're going to lose him to someone. We just can't pay what other schools could pay him.

So, I couldn't blame him, or Sean, for taking even the TU job, if offered: they wouldn't have to move their families, or their assistant coaches' families. They would still be near Eddie and Patsy. They wouldn't have to change their recruiting base, or even their favorite restaurants in town.

If Scott left, we would be fine with Sean or Tom or even Cory at the helm. ORU basketball will be in good hands, as would TU.

And, for the first time in years, I would have something to like about the University of Tulsa.

TU fans are nothing if not predictable. There would be the usual "honeymoon" period, when everyone thinks Scott is a great guy. FIRST bad loss - and they are inevitable - and the gumbling and vitreol begin. Two or three bad losses, and Scott is receiving the same treatment that Wojcik is receiving right now.

I don't begrudge Scott any of the benefits that come with the job at 15th and Harvard - but given the environment, why would he want them given the cost?

I would never cheer for TU no matter who was coaching there.

That's merely a reflection on the TU fan base.

I'm not going to get into a defensive comparison of ORU on a ORU FAN MESSAGE BOARD; although I do think being a part of institution like ours offers plenty of advantages that Tulsa could never offer.

My point is that purely out of loyalty to the university he wouldn't leave for our biggest rival; especially when he's capable of landing a much larger job.

(null)

I would not begrudge Scott, Sean, or anyone taking the TU job.

However, I wouldn't be down at the airplane hangar at 11th & Harvard, cheering them on, either.

I dislike even the notion of Scott Sutton going to TU on so many levels I don't know where to start. Sickening :puke:

• Upvote 1

I would not begrudge Scott, Sean, or anyone taking the TU job.

However, I wouldn't be down at the airplane hangar at 11th & Harvard, cheering them on, either.

Agreed.

Guys, you know no one has more issues with TU than me - ever since I was a 12-year-old getting pelted with ice and wadded-up paper cups by grown men and women while sitting behind the ORU bench in the old Pavilion.

But, we as a fan base have GOT to get over this "TU is our biggest rival" thing.

Times have changed. Beating (or losing to) TU really means little more each season than bragging rights.

No longer are we an independent who needs to beat (what ONCE was a really good) mid-major like TU, just to gain respect.

We're in a conference now, with automatic bids to the NCAA and NIT tournaments.

Valpo rightly was our rival in the old Mid-Con. Oakland and IUPUI - and even the Dakotas - are our rivals right now in the Summit. And in the Southland, the likes of Lamar and McNeese State and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi will become our new rivals. Winning or losing to those conference rivals is the difference between making the NCAA Tournament or not.

But TU? No more or less than Missouri State or Wichita State or Southern Methodist in my mind: a regional mid-major rival who we would rather beat than lose to, but little more.

Would we be as upset if Scott went to MSU or Wichita State? Maybe, because we would be recruiting against him in the region, but it's six-one-way and a-half-dozen-the-other to me. Self-to-TU and Hinson-to-MSU were about the same in my book: embarrassing to lose either of them to a mid-major school, but understandable when you look at the pros and cons from their perspective.

Now, if Scott went to someone else in the Southland Conference - THAT would be bad!

Is Scott Sutton unhappy at ORU? Why are we discussing him leaving in a middle of a 6-0 run! Our team has enough to be concerned with at this time like winning the conference and a trip to the NCAA. Forget TU. They are just a bunch of cry babies and they hate for the most part our name and what we stand for! Yet they want what we have . Sound familiar? Like Domo always says in his twitter. STAY IN FOCUS! 8)

Is Scott Sutton unhappy at ORU? Why are we discussing him leaving in a middle of a 6-0 run! Our team has enough to be concerned with at this time like winning the conference and a trip to the NCAA. Forget TU. They are just a bunch of cry babies and they hate for the most part our name and what we stand for! Yet they want what we have . Sound familiar? Like Domo always says in his twitter. STAY IN FOCUS! 8)

LOL - I guess we're talking about it because another school is RIGHT NOW specifically discussing the merits of poaching our head coach.

It's something we should be accustomed to by now, although usually it's later in the season when a school is in the midst of an active search following a firing.

It's probably all wishful thinking on TU's part: Wojcik is under contract through 2014-2015, and TU will not have a new president and permanent AD to make any kind of move until mid-summer at the earliest.

TU fans are just so depressed with their 4-5 start that all they can bring themselves to talk about is the future.

Wojcik is not leaving for another 1-1/2 years - regardless of what happens on the court. Moot point.

I have to disagree with you, OT. Part of building a program people are proud to rep is building a rich tradition, and part of that is cultivating a great rivalry. Obviously it's just my opinion but I think TU serves that purpose a lot better than some team that won't be in our conference next year.

In the end it probably serves us best to end this discussion and have it fall into the archives of rarely read posts. I'd hate for one of our recruits to stumble onto this ridiculous thread.

Any recruit who is bothered by his current or potential coach being coveted by other schools is totally missing the point.

And, so is any fan of said coach & school who feels the same way.

Having other schools or fan bases wanting your coach is a good thing - it means you have a successful program.

Just ask Tulsa - they know that, right now, NO ONE wants their coach.

And that fact is killing them.