ORU vs. MSU

tmh8286

OOPS! Made a couple posts on the wrong thread, thanks to the minute screen on my phone - heartbreaker at Manes Center today. Team seemed out of sync, MSU red hot. EVERY break seemed to go the Bear's way, including officiating. Just a tough outing for the Eagles.

Bears were red hot shooting the 3ball in the first half and ORU had no answer for Christiana Shorter. We just had no one to stop her underneath the basket. Too bad we couldn't get her to come to ORU. She's a local Tulsa girl who graduated from Booker T Washington.

ORU fought back and got it to within 4 points but a 19 point deficit was too much to come back from. This is a game to shake off and get ready to put the hurt on TU on Tuesday. :muscle::eagles:

Well, MSU played very well, and ORU didn't play their best game. They were careless with the ball, Kevi had an quiet night - if you can call 17 points "quiet". And don't think her comparatively low score was due to MSU defense - she was getting open looks, the just weren't falling for her, at least not until late in the game.

There's no question about it - MSU has some very nice players. The just about couldn't miss early on - 65% shooting in the first half, most of it from three point range. When we finally stretched the zone out to put a little pressure on their shooters, they went inside and scored MANY easy buckets. It was pretty difficult to watch.

But really, the win for them was set up by their excellent three point shooting. It took the teeth out of our defense.

Detti Balla showed signs of being a freshman by getting trapped in no-man's-land on several occasions and being called for traveling. She also made some BEAUTIFUL layups under the basket. Georgia Jones missed the first five or six treys she took early in the game, but got hot late and was a big part of the ORU comeback. Usually-rock-solid Kevi and Jaci struggled a little bit, each with four turnovers. Jordan Pyle had a solid game, and twenty points.

Would have loved to win this one, but it wasn't to be. Didn't get to the car soon enough to hear coach's take on it. I'm sure he's disappointed - but sometimes it just feels like it's not your night, and that's kind of how this one felt.

Kevi wasn't 100% tonight, but should be back to normal in time for the Tulsa game. The team definitely struggled with their energy level today until about 10 minutes left in the game. The Lady Bears just killed us on the boards today - offensively and defensively. There were several times when the ball came off the rim and fell to the floor and our girls just stood there looking at it. MSU also did a very good job of being around the basket after shots. This game just wasn't our day, but we still found a way to make it a game down at the end. Our Ladies will bounce back and our season will still be fun to watch.

Had we won today, I think we would have started to get votes in the polls. I don't think we'll see that happen unless we continue to win and win some games in December that we're not expected to persevere.

Kevi wasn't 100% tonight, but should be back to normal in time for the Tulsa game. The team definitely struggled with their energy level today until about 10 minutes left in the game. The Lady Bears just killed us on the boards today - offensively and defensively. There were several times when the ball came off the rim and fell to the floor and our girls just stood there looking at it. MSU also did a very good job of being around the basket after shots. This game just wasn't our day, but we still found a way to make it a game down at the end. Our Ladies will bounce back and our season will still be fun to watch.

Had we won today, I think we would have started to get votes in the polls. I don't think we'll see that happen unless we continue to win and win some games in December that we're not expected to persevere.

You're right Bogus - I forgot to mention the rebounding. They just hammered us on the boards, as well. They were a much more energetic team than we were for much of the game.

Poor performance today for the ladies....this is a game good teams need to win.....Sounds like Coach Fink didn't get the girls up for this one....we came out flat at home and they didn't......hopefully ORU will rebound and get back into the winning column at TU this week..... ;(

Great outside shooting in the first half picked apart our zone defense and left Christiana Shorter wide open for layup afer layup.

Perhaps we should have tried man to man? We should never give up 51 points in a half.

Defense is all about will and heart.....TheEagleman didn't see the game so a bit unfair of me to rip the ORU ladies for their performance yesterday....but 51 pts in one half is not acceptable....especially in our own building....gotta defend the home turf and we didn't do it....Coach Fink will hopefully use this one as a lesson learned and ORU will come out with a lot more intensity at TU on Tuesday night.....gotta win back the Mayor's Cup!...... :fubar:

Looked to me like there were three factors that hurt us:

1. We're way to quick to throw up the three ball. Any inside attack at all could have swayed their momenutm. We shoot five free throws for the game. That long ball attack needs to be balanced with some effort to score inside.

2. We struggle to rebound. Maybe Amber's return will bring a change.

3. Are we the only D-1 team that predominately plays a zone defense? When we were trailing Louisiana Tech, we switched to man defense and got back in the game. We were well behind Missouri State before we pulled out of that zone defense and went man. That change slowed them as well.

We all keep looking for "votes in the polls." You get your votes when you show you can play on both sides of the court. We're a good team with lots of work left to do.

completely forgot ORU had a game yesterday...thanks for the summaries of the game Bogus and tmh. it sounds like ORU just came out a bit flat and dug too deep of a hole. i'm sure a beat down of TU in the Mayor's Cup game will be just what the doctor ordered.

I think the ORU girls also forgot they had a game yesterday afternoon..... :razz:

Hey guys, I saw a different game than you guys did. Actually, there were 2 games. In the first half, we were playing good defense but their point guard was unconscious making three long 3 pointers. She started missing those and we climbed back in. She made another in the 2nd half which was a dagger as we got the shot clock to 1 second and she nailed a 3. It was probably discouraging to the ladies to play so hard on defense, make several steals and rattle the other team, yet fall behind in the first 10 minutes.

I love the way this team plays though and in the 2nd half they showed so much heart. Could have swung our way with a break here or there. It was worth the detour to come to Tulsa on the way to Dallas. If I lived in Tulsa, I'd go to every game.

Go EAGLES!

Hey guys, I saw a different game than you guys did. Actually, there were 2 games. In the first half, we were playing good defense but their point guard was unconscious making three long 3 pointers. She started missing those and we climbed back in. She made another in the 2nd half which was a dagger as we got the shot clock to 1 second and she nailed a 3. It was probably discouraging to the ladies to play so hard on defense, make several steals and rattle the other team, yet fall behind in the first 10 minutes.

I love the way this team plays though and in the 2nd half they showed so much heart. Could have swung our way with a break here or there. It was worth the detour to come to Tulsa on the way to Dallas. If I lived in Tulsa, I'd go to every game.

Go EAGLES!

Saw you at the game but we didn't get to talk to you! We'll have to catch you next time, MS!

Hey guys, I saw a different game than you guys did. Actually, there were 2 games. In the first half, we were playing good defense

Hi Sterns78 - I agree with everything you said except your statement that we played good defense in the first half. Giving up 51 points is good defense? :?:

I agree MSU was red hot with the 3ball but you said nothing about #33 Christiana Shorter burning us shot after shot from less than 3 feet. She had a career high 27 points. In other words, we defended her the worst of her entire career!

We needed to make some adjustments to stop Shorter or slow her down. Front the woman and deny her the ball. Try man to man defense. Foul her with some good hard legal fouls . :muscle: Something. Anything.

Conventional wisdom says you break a zone with great outside shooting. That's what MSU did. But we never threw in the towel and switched to man to man to try and stop the bleeding. At least I don't remember us ever switching to man to man.

I agree that our girls were playing hard and almost rallied and won the game. But could we have prevented that 51 point massacre with some different strategies? :!: