The KING is back!

ORUTex

Wow, how incredible was Tutt tonight? Completely carried us.

Way too close, but a W is all that counts.

Tough night for Mickey: 1-10 and fouling out? He'll be back on Monday, though.

Wow. That is all I can say about Ken Tutt. That is what we have been missing, someone who take over a game from anywhere on the floor. Tonight's victory rests squarely on the shoulders on Ken Tutt.

Some thoughts without seeing the stats yet:

Yemi Ogunoye played great defense on Jackson. That guy ran Yemi through screens all first half and Yemi just chased him around the court and got in his face. All in all I thought the defense was good and we even switched to a zone. :shock:

They out rebounded us on the offensive glass. They seemed like a team that crashed the boards hard every shot, and with their athletic guys they could get rebounds and putbacks.

They did a good job of keeping the ball out of Caleb's hands. That is why he got no points and shot no free throws in the first half.

The call on the jump ball was unbelievable. Ten seconds earlier they called over the back on Yemi for the same thing. Unbelievable.

If you had told me that at half time we would be leading and Caleb Green had zero points, I would have been ecstatic.

Now that we have gotten that scare out of our system we can go on and dominate every one else.

I hope Oakland loses because man is their band annoying. Since they come in and wait right beneath our pep band I could hear every chant. Thankfully the staff made them move into the stands, though they were still annoying. They did the exact same stuff last year, but they did all of it down on the floor at that entrance so I'm not sure if anyone who doesn't sit over there remembered. Did anyone see the signs they had made? Oakland band, a class act all the way around.

The top three reasons we won...

1. Ken Tutt

2. Ken Tutt

3. Ken Tutt

The box score is up at mid.con.com now.

Tutt: 9-14 from the field (3-6 on 3pt FG's), and 8-8 from the line.

Green: 4-10, no 3's, 6-7 FT's

Everyone else: 7-27, 0-5, and 3-10.

I watched the Mid-Con video, with Mark's ORU radio play-by-play. Pretty good - well worth the $5 per session. I thought Larry actually played pretty well, Marchello had a couple of nice offensive plays, and Yemi had several swats and a huge putback.

Bluitt took very good care of the ball. Didn't play much - Mark said he tweaked his ankle 30 seconds into the game - but came back in right after we had gotten very sloppy and gave up the 9 point lead, and really settled things down.

We really need to figure out how to keep guys away from the basket on the defensive end - they had 22 offensive rebounds, and spent most of the night just pounding the ball inside. Good thing they shot even worse than us (32.3% for the game). If I were Valpo, I would focus on the same thing. Of course, I would also try to figure out how to win a game in Tulsa - we may not have to worry about facing them.

It's a good thing they only shot 40% on free throws...!

The place nowhere close to full. At least 2000 empty seats, maybe more, I'd guess.

I thought it was kind of a pathetic showing, myself. Not sure it had anything to do with the struggles on the court, but you never know.

There were also several bad calls that went ORU's way, in my opinion. I think things pretty much evened out.

I agree about the Oakland band - they have a lot of hate for us. Their sign said "Why don't you cry about it? with a picture of last year's game.

A word for our student fans though. There is no need to boo the opposing team's cheerleaders. I thought that was just as bad.

Good job by the crowd tonight.

Guest EagleBackr
The place nowhere close to full. At least 2000 empty seats, maybe more, I'd guess.

I thought it was kind of a pathetic showing, myself. Not sure it had anything to do with the struggles on the court, but you never know.

I posted the following rant over on the Valpo board in response to the same ridiculous observation: That's one of the stupidest things I 've ever heard. The vast majority of empty seats below the rail were seats that belonged TO THE OTHER SCHOOLS IN THE TOURNAMENT - THEY WEREN"T AVAILABLE AND WERE NOT FOR SALE! Above the rail was practically capacity - the few gaps there may well have been from people who bought tickets up there, but moved down below the rail into the sizable areas unoccupied by UMKC, Chicago State, etc. You'll see the same thing Sunday night. Plus, a few bigtime corporate donor seats may have been open due to the University of Tulsa playing their Senior Night game across town at the same time. But be careful what you wish for - IF you guys manage to win your first game EVER within the Tulsa city limits Sunday, the place will be packed Monday as the seats of those teams that have already lost will be resold to the general public. YOU WANT ORU FANS?? YOU'RE GONNA GET ORU FANS!!

There were also several bad calls that went ORU's way, in my opinion. I think things pretty much evened out.

After reading your post here and on the Valpo board..................

Agreed with eaglebackr on this one Stl VU..... that was just stupid observation on your part.

Tulsa had Senior Night .....High School State play-offs in full gear! The 66ers played earlier in the day... UNC at Duke... OSU-Baylor on TV... There were plenty of options for the general basketball fan on Saturday. I'd expect more general basketball fans at the games on Monday and Tuesday.

Where are the Valpo Fans ....the god"s gift to the Mid-Con? How many will show up should be your only concern for your game today.

Worry about Valpo and we'll worry about ORU... deal?

After reading your post here and on the Valpo board..................

Agreed with eaglebackr on this one Stl VU..... that was just stupid observation on your part.

Tulsa had Senior Night .....High School State play-offs in full gear! The 66ers played earlier in the day... UNC at Duke... OSU-Baylor on TV... There were plenty of options for the general basketball fan on Saturday. I'd expect more general basketball fans at the games on Monday and Tuesday.

Where are the Valpo Fans ....the god"s gift to the Mid-Con? How many will show up should be your only concern for your game today.

Worry about Valpo and we'll worry about ORU... deal?

First of all, I ONLY commented on any ORU fans who stayed home SIMPLY because they figured it would be a boring win.

I DID NOT KNOCK ANYONE FOR HAVING OTHER COMMITMENTS!!!!!!! :roll:

As I stated on the Valpo board just now:

Every ORU fan I talked to yesterday and today agreed with my assessment. Number one reason THEY gave: some fans stayed home because they figured it would be an easy win for ORU.

Today's ORU fan turnout for the women's team was also pathetic, though the maniacs were there at least.

There are LOTS of Valpo fans here, as many as there have ever been at any tournament not held in Fort Wayne or Valparaiso. We travel a LOT better than some schools do in this conference.

Finally, I WAS NOT JUDGING. Heck, if ORU fans want to stay home, that's fine with me! I was simply making an observation.

sheesh. Chill out, guys. :roll:

Having made the trips to Ft Wayne & Moline, ORU fans are doing as expected. The conference will turn a profit again this year and when we were in your neckof the woods they didn't. I agree with Eagle Backer & I don't see his observations as excuses for the attendance. The attendance at the women's games is always low. In Tulsa we have 5 area D-1 schools that are supported by a fan base that has a lot of overlaps. OU-Texas was during the ORU women's game today.

You might want to establish some boundaries on who, where & when you make some of your comments, since, as you implied they are your opinions.....it's a small world & what you say travels fast. As Blue said, you take care of Valpo & we'll take care of ORU.....deal?

Having made the trips to Ft Wayne & Moline, ORU fans are doing as expected. The conference will turn a profit again this year and when we were in your neckof the woods they didn't. I agree with Eagle Backer & I don't see his observations as excuses for the attendance. The attendance at the women's games is always low. In Tulsa we have 5 area D-1 schools that are supported by a fan base that has a lot of overlaps. OU-Texas was during the ORU women's game today.

You might want to establish some boundaries on who, where & when you make some of your comments, since, as you implied they are your opinions.....it's a small world & what you say travels fast. As Blue said, you take care of Valpo & we'll take care of ORU.....deal?

Sure.

Sorry I brought it up.

I was more surprised than anything else, but I did step over the line with the comment about some ORU fans should be embarrassed. It's not my place to say that.