ORU - La Tech

TrueBlue82

Good match-up against a NCAA qualifier last year. However, marketing La Tech as "three-time National Champions", when the last time the Techsters won the championship was before any of the current players were born, is a little over the top. The women's game was very different back then - and the Lady Techsters were definitely an elite program in that era. I remember a couple of their visits to Mabee Center in the early 80s - once to play the Lady Titans and another for an NCAA regional - and they did not disappoint. Even though they are no longer a Top 25 program, it would be nice to gain our first-ever win over La Tech.

Big win for ORU..... :clap: .........but we still haven't reached 100 pts....JJones must be sorely disappointed..... |(

I went to the game, and it was one of the funner women's games I've been to. Pretty good, energetic crowd. ORU was down by 10 with five minutes left in the first half, in large part due to some great three point shooting by La Tech, and them taking advantage of our weak defense under the basket. They had a peanut of a point guard, but she had a killer no-look pass, often times to an unguarded post player for an easy, uncontested layup. She was also a great three point shooter.

But Jerry and the team made some great adjustments to take away the passing lanes, double-teaming their shooters under the basket, and the La Tech three point shooting cooled off a bit. Down by two with 0.8 sec left in the first half, ORU gets the ball, inbounds to Savannah Buck (I think it was), and she puts up a layup that BARELY crawls over the rim as the buzzer sounds, tying it up at halftime.

La Tech scored first in the second half, but it was all ORU after that. The thing I was really impressed by was that unlike in the past, where ORU relied on scoring more rather than defense for winning games, this team was able to do both. They're still able to score in bunches, but they were also able to make adjustments in their defense to shut down La Tech scoring. Kevi and Jordan Pyle are just unstoppable. Not sure whether it was due to poorer conditioning or getting rattled, but late in the game La Tech really struggled to get anything going.

This was a good win - La Tech was the WAC champ last season. Coach Finkbeiner pointed out that they are playing three games in a row against last year's conference champs - La Tech (WAC), Houston (C-USA), and Missouri State (MVC).

thanks for the write-up tmh. looking at the box score it appears Balla had a productive 17 mins despite fouling out. how did she look?

interesting point about the upcoming schedule. if they can split the next two, they have to start getting some national attention.

Very impressive win. I'm with Tim - the coaches did a great job of adjusting the D and shutting off La Tech in the second half - as the Techsters were clearly the better team in the first half. And, at the five minutes mark, with the outcome of the game still in question - the ORU offense took the air out of the ball - and coasted in for the victory. I really like what I'm seeing from this team - and Balla had BY FAR her best game of the season. I can now understand why Jerry was so high on her.

thanks for the write-up tmh. looking at the box score it appears Balla had a productive 17 mins despite fouling out. how did she look?

interesting point about the upcoming schedule. if they can split the next two, they have to start getting some national attention.

Still looks a bit raw, but with what appears to be tremendous potential. She's got a very quick first step that leaves her defender wondering what just happened. Good positioning around the basket, both offiensively and defensively, allowed her to get four rebounds and three blocks. I think this is just the beginning for her.

She's already a crowd favorite - getting ovations when she came off the court each time.

Expect good things from her. Another I really liked as a freshman a couple years back was Alex Adekunle - she had some of the same qualities, but not the size of Balla. Unfortunately, Alex didn't make it through her first year at ORU. I expect us to see Bella mature into a really fine player for us.

Tuesday night's opponent, Houston, is 0-3, but two of their losses were to ranked teams (Texas Tech/Georgetown) and the other was a one-point heart-breaker. Certainly can't look past the Cougars.

I'm pretty sure that Houston won Conf USA last year so we must bring our A game. Really encouraged to see the team playing so smart this year.