Western Illinois: a factor in the Summit this year?

Old Titan

The 4-0 start by NDSU notwithstanding, lowly Western Illinois may be the surprise team of the Summit League so far, going basket-for-basket with #17 Michigan Thursday before falling by four points in Ann Arbor.

Ceola Clark seems to be back to his former self, after missing most of last season with an injury suffered against ORU in December. Against Dayton in their opener, the Leathernecks had 7 of 11 players seeing their first D-1 action. They've got a juco post man named Terrell Parks whose frame and rebounding is reminiscent of Caleb Green. The coach's son, sophomore Billi Molinari, is a spot-up shooter with Eric Kangas-like range (though he did appear to injure a knee late in the game). They definitely look like they could be a factor in conference play this year.

You can check out the replay of their game at Michigan right now on ESPN3.com - not sure how long it will be available.

I saw that they were tied at 28 all at halftime with Michigan last night, and only lost by four. Pretty good showing by the leathernecks. We'll need to keep an eye on them.

Summit League teams are continually giving other league's teams a run for their money in non-conference play.

Last year at full health the Leathernecks were within 3 points at Missouri with 15 seconds left. I think their style of play allows them to stick with teams like Missouri and Michigan if they can dictate pace. If they slow it down, stick to their defensive principles, and connect on their threes, that's a great recipe for staying competitive. It is good for the league if WIU can continue to stay healthy and surprise some folks.

It is as close to the four corners offense as you can get with the 35 second shot clock. It can be nerve racking because they make you play defense for close to 30 seconds before starting their offense. But if you go to sleep, they will run on you or go back door. With decent shooters they can be dangerous in that style of play.

The Summit League is looking stronger than expected this year: both the Dakota schools, Western, and even Southern Utah have had some impressive moments in road situations.

It's ironic that the two current "powers" of the league, ORU and Oakland, are a combined 1-4 so far on the year (albeit against tough competition, and all away from home).

I need to see a few more games before giving some of the teams too much credit. Could be 'fool's gold'. Or they could be greatly improved. We'll see....

Western Illinois in the top half of the Summit League this year.....while they may be improved.....not a chance..... |(

• 1 month later...

As of January 4, the Leathernecks are tied for 4th at 2-2 in conference play and 7-5 overall. They already have a big home win over North Dakota State, and their ONLY home loss - conference or otherwise - was a 1-pointer to SDSU.

Further Bold Predictions: Western will beat Oakland in Rochester Thursday night - their style of deliberate, motion offense will prove virtually impossible for this bunch of Grizzlies to defend.

If Western can get past IPFW in Fort Wayne on Saturday night, they could be tied for 3rd Place at 4-2 when they host ORU in Macomb next Thursday, with a chance to make some real noise in the conference race.

I'm telling ya, the Leathernecks are legit....

Their slow down style of play can really disrupt opponents. You must play 35 seconds of defense against them. The Leathernecks can take the air out of the ball and frustrate other teams. If they get a lead, it can really be nerve wracking to catch up. They key is to get a lead and make them play your style of basketball - don't let them dictate the tempo. Hard to do. Otherwise, they make you play ugly to beat them.

If by 'a factor', you mean they will finish around .500 and be the 5 or 6 seed in the conference tourney, then yes, they will be a 'factor'.

Not buying it....yet.

I mean that they will be a factor by knocking off a couple of the contenders: ORU, Oakland, SDSU and NDSU.

They've already toppled otherwise-unbeaten NDSU - doesn't that make them a factor already?

They could certainly 'sneak' up on some teams and knock them off. Their style of play can be difficult/frustrating to play against.

They've won like 2 road games in the past two seasons, that is pretty bold prediction OT. WIU will need to start winning road games before I'll call them a contender.

They've won like 2 road games in the past two seasons, that is pretty bold prediction OT. WIU will need to start winning road games before I'll call them a contender.

Could someone show me ANYWHERE where I say WIU could be a "contender"?

They are a spoiler, primarily at home, good enough to finish as high as 4th behind ORU and the xDSU's, and capable of winning a game in Sioux Falls.

Could someone show me ANYWHERE where I say WIU could be a "contender"?

They are a spoiler, primarily at home, good enough to finish as high as 4th behind ORU and the xDSU's, and capable of winning a game in Sioux Falls.

OK. Gotcha. Fair assessment.

Even in the home loss to SDSU, WIU definitely dictated the pace and type of ball game played. Jacks were up 4 when Creole hit the 3/4 court 3 buzzer beater. (In-bound at 1.2 seconds left.)

Definitely will be a factor in the Summit this season.