OSU's women's basketball coach killed in a plane crash yesterday (TW)

tmh8286

A university official confirmed that Oklahoma State women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and an assistant, Miranda Serna, were killed in a small-plane crash that occurred on Thursday.

During a recruiting trip, their plane went down in central Arkansas, university spokesman Gary Shutt said.

The pilot and one additional passenger – neither of whom was affiliated with OSU – also were killed, Shutt said.

OSU's Kurt Budke, assistant killed in plane crash

My familiy's prayers are with the coache's and the pilot's families, OSU, and everyone that is associated with this tragedy.

Sad story to hear and read.

I remember the crash of about 10 years ago with the OSU mens team.

One guy on that plane, Kendall Durfey, was was on my wing. I think his father taught communications at ORU.

In prayer for OSU team today.

what a tragedy.

how in the world did a school that went through what they did 10 yrs ago allow their coaches to go on a recruiting trip with an 82 yr old pilot in a 47 yr old Piper aircraft?

Good questions.... I assume that the aircraft was well taken care of. 'Old' airplanes can have an indefinite life given proper maintenance and inspections. That does sound like a rather small plane though; certainly not a KingAir. The coaches must have really been in a hurry and wanted to visit/see that player. Isn't this an odd time to be recruiting? High school games have not even started yet.

The odd part is flying with an 82 year old pilot. I suspect that might be the problem.

@ORUTERRY

I do not at all think you can slide the blame to the pilot until the investigation is complete! The guy had been a pilot since he was 40 and logged well over 5000 hours. Myself, being a pilot also and one that flies the exact same type of aircraft can tell you that the Piper Cherokee is one of the easiest and best single engine airplanes to fly. Age in a pilot is not a factor and I hate to see people putting blame on this elder without any knowledge of why the plane went down. We could shift the question back the Coach Budke, who from what I understand, not just him but all OSU coaches, have a section in their contracts that they are not to fly in single engine piston aircraft. Which, if that is the case, Coach Budke was doing something against the terms of his contract with OSU.

In a situation like this, you can not blame anyone, you can only ask for healing for the families involved!

I did not mean to blame anyone. Obviously our hearts and prayers are with the grieving families. I know the pilot (and his wife?) had a lot of experience flying.

A very sad story and our thoughts and prayers go out to all those associated with OSU tonight.... ;( .....still, the question still must be asked....Would YOU fly with an 82 yr old pilot????.....if the answer is yes.....your sanity has to be debated.... |( ......TheEagleman is not saying that his age had anything to do with this crash......but still.....I don't want to ride in a car with an 80+ driver let alone a plane...... :sweat:

Careful, Eagleman. We'll be there before we know it (and probably wondering why the grandchildren or great-grandkids aren't allowed to drive with us).

I have no problem with my grandsons not allowing their kids to drive with an 80+ yr old Eagleman about 25 yrs from now.....and let's hope that I have enough sense to curtail my driving when the skills start to wane......again, not blaming the pilot in this crash but let's see what shakes out with the investigation.......a sad weekend for OSU all around.... :!: