Fall Signing Period Starts Today (11/9/11)

Old Titan

Hard (for me) to find much information on the two recruits (Corbin Byford and Jorden Kaufman) from the Fall signing period. Their teams are doing well; Velma-Alma is 13-0 and ranked #4, while Andover Central is 9-0 and ranked #2.

Kaufman is averaging 12.1 ppg and 9.0 rpg through nine games. Link

Andover Central boys rout McPherson

BY LIONEL TIPTON/Eagle correspondent

Published Dec. 17 at 6:52 a.m. | Last updated Dec. 17 at 7 a.m.

ANDOVER — Andover Central exploited its height advantage inside, using 6-foot-11 senior Jorden Kaufman's 20 points to remain undefeated with a 65-38 Ark Valley-Chisholm Trail League II victory over McPherson.

"We were trying to attack the basket off their pressure instead of wilting," Andover Central coach Jesse Herrmann said. "If they get you to turn it over for layups, they get a lot of runouts, and we were able to avoid that tonight for the most part. They got some, but we didn't give them a ton."

Kaufman fielded a number of lobs and scored eight points in the key in the second quarter, when the Jaguars outscored the Bullpups 22-12, breaking the game open and taking a 32-21 halftime lead.

"That (height) is a luxury that a lot of high school teams don't have, and Jordan did a good job tonight being a presence in there," Herrmann said.

He wasn't perfect from the field, but Kaufman was lethal enough, capitalizing on a 7-inch height advantage over McPherson's tallest player.

Having a commanding advantage in the post isn't new, he said.

"That's how it's always been," Kaufman said. "But they were really scrappy, and I had to keep the ball high and all that. It's still kind of hard to score, because if I bring the ball down, it's theirs."

When Kaufman wasn't getting putbacks or jump hooks for points, junior Zach Winter was darting around the Bullpups, getting open for jump shots. He had three of the Jaguars' six three-pointers and finished with 13 points.

Winter said it was nice to see his three-pointers falling.

"I started hitting some, so I'm kind of excited about that," he said. "Once I start hitting threes, they start coming out on me, and that makes it easier to drive and make stuff happen out of that."

Taylor Lock added 12 points for Andover Central.

McPherson (4-1, 0-1) 9 12 9 8 —38 A. Central (5-0, 1-0) 10 22 12 21 — 65

MCPHERSON: Reber 2, Miller 7, Hart 6, Robinson 9, Cape 2, P. Horton 1, Kinnamon 4, Sorenson 7. Totals 13 (2) 10-23 38.

ANDOVER CENTRAL: T. Lock 12, Clements 9, Kretchmar 5, Kauffman 20, Howell 2, Koenigs 2, Winter 13, Holinde 2. Totals 27 (6) 5-9 65.

(Stop right here if you've heard this one from me before...)

Jorden and his parents sat a couple of rows behind me at the Texas Tech game. I introduced myself and explained I was one of those message board geeks, and hoped he wasn't too freaked out by the fact I already recognized him.

He and his parents were very gracious, and he even talked a little bit about what a great year his team was having.

"Son," I said, "That's all well and good. But I just have three words for you - don't get hurt."

Will we have 2 or 3 scholarships available to fill for next years class? Are both guards still on our roster as redshirts? We have Glover, Byford, Obaski and Kaufman now with hopefully Jackson and Billbury. That 6 with our 5 returnies should be 11. I wasn't sure about Billbury. Would have loved to have Glover on this years team.

does ORU still have any interest in the twins that went JUCO?

i think i remember someone posting that Billbury signed in part with ORU because he thought the twins would be there also.

Glover should fit in nicely at Domo's "3" spot next year, with similar offensive numbers possible: in the drawl of Eddie Sutton, "He's special."

Kaufman, if not redshirted, should provide minutes in the post behind Damen at the "5". Byford is a bit of a wild-card: if he's capable enough, he and Lliteras will fight for minutes at the "2" or "3" backing up Niles, but more likely he will spell Roundtree at the "4" IF he can rebound.

Not sure where Obaseki might play - never seen him in action.

The big question is point guard: Manghum? Jackson? Bilbury?

I think we need to sign another one, just in case. But you don't sign a juco kid from out of state unless you plan to hand him the keys to the car and tell him he's driving. Otherwise, they pout (see: "Guyton, Reggie").

Maybe we can find a well-grounded, Oklahoma or Texas kid who went juco to get better, a current freshman with three years left. Kind of a Kelvin Sango or Chris Riouse type. Neither were point guards, but they could handle the ball to a degree, they were mature beyond their years when it came to accepting their roles, and they were capable defensively.

Looks like Jackson will be our starting PG next season unless the staff finds a really good Juco guy.....too bad about Holdman and TheEagleman wonders if Bilbury might also have academic struggles.....the kid from BTW in Tulsa sounds like a special kid if they can get him to hit the books..... :sweat:

Here's some info I found on the Jenkins Twins. They are on the roster at McLennan Community College on one site but not on the official team page.

Ramond Jenkins 7.1 ppg

http://www.njcaa.org...thleteid=350281

Romond Jenkins 6.1 ppg

http://www.njcaa.org...thleteid=350282

Both at McLennan Community College

http://www.njcaa.org...y=Roster&slid=2

http://www.mclennan....ketball/roster/

Both of those kids are Larry Owens type of athletes but doubt they ever play at ORU. More than likely a Big 12 type of school.

Need to get a pt this spring who can come in and play next year.

Obaseski is a stretch 4 in that he can really shoot it from 18 to 20 and handles decently. Just needs to eat. (A Lot!) Will end up being a nice player at ORU.

They are averaging 6 to 7 points per game in JUCO and yet they are Big 12 material?

My thoughts exactly, voice.

Well, that's cool. If they don't want to be here, no problem.

And, I could be wrong...but 6 points a game in JUCO usually doesn't translate to playing at the Big 12 level.

We have two available scholarships....gonna need a JUCO PG and maybe a PF.....how is Andre Hardy doing this year?....how good would he look on our team?.... :nerd:

## SUMMARY GP-GS Min FG% 3PT% FT% R/G A/G STL BLK PTS/G

00 Hardy, Andre........ 16-1 16.4 .456 .000 .659 4.5 0.4 4 2 4.9

## SUMMARY GP-GS Min FG% 3PT% FT% R/G A/G STL BLK PTS/G

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Seeley, D.J......... 17-15 30.5 .407 .384 .730 5.2 1.7 25 1 15.5

05 Vaughn, Kwame....... 17-17 30.6 .509 .387 .800 4.6 3.9 20 2 15.5

13 Umipig, Isiah....... 17-17 33.3 .430 .374 .861 3.1 2.4 14 1 13.1

21 Amoke, Omondi....... 17-16 28.5 .536 .000 .512 8.5 0.9 13 9 11.4

15 Chin, Orane......... 17-15 27.1 .570 .452 .660 5.1 1.8 12 11 9.4

00 Hardy, Andre........ 16-1 16.4 .456 .000 .659 4.5 0.4 4 2 4.9

http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html

Let me clarify on this one. The twins are both Big 12 type of athletes and they have that type of ability also. They would both walk in and be the best athletes ORU has , not saying the best BB players though both are pretty darn good. Do i think they end up at Big 12 type of school. Yes i do. Just my opinion.