Fall Signing Period Starts Today (11/9/11)

Old Titan

On the bright side, today (11/9) is the first day of the Fall Signing Period, and ORU is expected to sign two freshmen prospects to LOI's: big man Jorden Kaufman of Andover (KS) and swing player Corbin Byford of Velma-Alma (OK).

Always a little anxious until "committed" guys have actually signed their LOI's, faxed them in, and Athletics gives us the official word.

Maybe this year we will actually announce our signees on the first day of signing period, instead of waiting a couple of days like past seasons. I never have agreed with why we have done it that way before - I think it makes us look like we feel we're not worthy of sharing the same stage as the other D-1 programs in the state who announce their's today.

I think now I still may be a little nervous until they play a game and aren't declared ineligible by the NCAA!

One down - one to go.

With Holdman's injury, that means we will have three (not four) open positions next year. We have two filled (or soon to be signed) leaving one scholarship open.

Next year's squad looks like this:

1. Holdman

2. Manghum

3. Jackson

4. Billbury

5. NIles

6. Lliteras

7. Glover

8. Roundtree

9. Bell-Holter

10. Obaseki

11. Kaufman

12. Byford (waiting for him to sign)

How do you think we should handle this last scholarship? Go the juco route for a post player - someone who can come in and contribute immediately? Or wait for another transfer student in the Spring?

We signed Corbin Byford today too..

TULSA, Okla.-The ORU men's basketball team had two athletes sign a National Letter of Intent to play for the Golden Eagles next season, it was announced Wednesday by Coach Scott Sutton on day one of the early signing period.

ORUGoldenEagles.com

Can we get them cleared now instead of two weeks before school and after they are at summer school in college already!

How do you think we should handle this last scholarship? Go the juco route for a post player - someone who can come in and contribute immediately? Or wait for another transfer student in the Spring?

i vote transfer.

We have had luck with both over the years. Shawn Glover is a great example of a transfer student who will greatly help us next year. Marcus Lewis is another example of a transfer student that helped us in the past.

Larry was a juco player - not a transfer. But I would take a juco like LO anytime.... or Markius Barnes, or Robert Jarvis.

I'm excited about both of these signings. A 6'11" player (Jordan Kaufman) who can apprentice under DBH as a freshman and then step into the center role for the following 3 years. Also a 6'6" athlete who might have been more highly recruited but he played small school ball at Velma-Alma. I hope he develops and can contribute at this level.

I agree that if there is another transfer player who can make an impact down the road, it would be worth using our last scholarship on him.

We already have a scorer in Glover and possibly in BIllbury - but you can always use another one.

I'm excited about both of these signings. A 6'11" player (Jordan Kaufman) who can apprentice under DBH as a freshman and then step into the center role for the following 3 years. Also a 6'6" athlete who might have been more highly recruited but he played small school ball at Velma-Alma. I hope he develops and can contribute at this level.

I agree that if there is another transfer player who can make an impact down the road, it would be worth using our last scholarship on him.

Here is a thread from the OU basketball forum mentioning Byford.

I think it's funny that one of the posters on the OU message board said Byford isn't quick enough to play the "3" at OU when he ran a 49 second 400 meters and is a standout track and field athlete.

I think it's funny that one of the posters on the OU message board said Byford isn't quick enough to play the "3" at OU when he ran a 49 second 400 meters and is a standout track and field athlete.

Quickness and speed are two different things.

I've seen 300-pound guys who couldn't outrun my grandma but whose quick feet and hands made them awesome football or basketball players.

Byford will still be a great fit at ORU - he won't be over-matched at 6'6" the way he might have been in the Big XII at OU.