Eligibility for Exhibition Games

Old Titan

I'm not sure who asked this question, but here's a breakdown on who can & can't play in exhibition games that I found on another message board:

Different rules apply to voluntary redshirts and guys sitting out a transfer year.

Transfers - Can practice with team, but cannot dress for games or travel with the team (because they aren't eligible to play).

Voluntary Redshirts - Can practice with team, dress for games and travel with team (because they are eligible to play). In this situation, a player who intends on redshirting may choose to "take off his redshirt" and begin playing during the season if he's needed due to injury or if he develops faster than expected. However, once he enters a game, he is no longer eligible for a redshirt year. Redshirts can NOT, however, play in exhibition games, except as described below.

Only eligible freshmen can participate in exhibition games, and then redshirt that season - upper classmen can NOT. Per NCAA rules, Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitus should have forfeited a season of eligibility when he played in exhibition games his sophomore year before sitting out the season. Following an appeal, The NCAA granted him an exception, but did give him a 4-game suspension.

Which explains why Jake Lliteras was able to play in exhibition games last year without affecting his freshman redshirt season.

Consequently, freshman Michael Obaseki could have played this past Tuesday, and would be eligible to play this Sunday, and still redshirt, but I think he is dealing with an injury of some sort.

None of this explains, though, why several years worth of voluntary redshirts for ORU did NOT dress for games, and instead sat on the bench in street clothes the entire season. Simply a decision by the ORU coaches to not have them "dress out", I would imagine.

Also, this explanation does not specify whether a voluntary redshirt player who dresses out for a game can participate in pre-game and halftime warm-up activities, or if that would be considered "participation" in a game. Anyone know?

I think you have to come in to actually play in a game and get a stat. (Club Trillion Style).

FYI

<<http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/. In this blog a walk-on at Ohio State has one goal to get into the game but record no stats to his stat line is 1 followed by nine zeros to be a part of what he deemed club trillion. Entertaining Blog (for some)>>