The Silly Season 2.0

Old Titan

Now HERE is some good stuff in the preseason: Gary Parrish and Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com make their 2012 NCAA Tournament picks, from Jerry Palm's projections for the bracket:

Goodman/Parrish NCAA Bracketology

Palm has ORU as a #14 seed, facing #3 Vanderbilt. Neither Goodman nor Parrish picked ORU for the upset (and why would they), but it's interesting to see how many of ORU's '11-'12 non-conference opponents are projected to make The Field of 68 (with their seeding):

Texas-San Antonio (15)

West Virginia (8 )

Oklahoma State (8 )

Gonzaga (5)

Xavier (4)

Absent from Palm's bracket:

Tulsa

Missouri State (popular MVC pick)

Austin Peay (popular OVC pick)

Vandy would be a very tough matchup.....where's the regional?.....Memphis?......ugh!..... |(

Actually, it would be in Nashville, if this played out...

Then that part of the bracket is already bogus: Vanderbilt would not be allowed to play in their own hometown of Nashville.

As long as the games aren't on Vanderbilt's home court.....they can still play in Nashville.....and I believe there is a big arena in Nashville other than the Commodore's building....Villanova played in Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center in the East Regional just 2 years ago even though it's just 10 miles from campus....and, they played several home games in that building every year.....it was still deemed a "neutral site" by the NCAA....hard to believe..... |(

Palm's bracket actually has that South Region game being played in Louisville, not Nashvile.

Other regional sites this year within reasonable distance for ORU fans include Omaha and Albuquerque.

As long as the games aren't on Vanderbilt's home court.....they can still play in Nashville.....and I believe there is a big arena in Nashville other than the Commodore's building....

Right you are. Bridgestone Arena (home of the NHL Predators) is not considered Vanderbilt's home court, and they would be allowed to play Tournament games there.

I believe the maximum number of "home" games a team can play in a building before it is considered a home arena is three.

Right you are. Bridgestone Arena (home of the NHL Predators) is not considered Vanderbilt's home court, and they would be allowed to play Tournament games there.

I believe the maximum number of "home" games a team can play in a building before it is considered a home arena is three.

Here is an excerpt from the NCAA rules, courtesy of "ORUJason", from a similar post regarding ORU's chances of playing at the BOK Center in Tulsa in last year's NCAA tournament:

1. To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first five lines at a potential "home-crowd disadvantage" in the first round.

2. Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible. A team moved out of its natural area will be placed in the next closest region to the extent possible.

3. A team will not be permitted to play in any facility in which it has played more than three games during its season, not including conference post-season tournaments.

4. A host institution's team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting. However, the team may play on the same days when the institution is hosting.

Here is a link to the NCAA rules: http://www.ncaa.org/...19db7e588614b8c

What Rule #4 means: if Vanderbilt is the designated NCAA "host" school for the Nashville Regional, regardless of which venue in town it's being held, they can't play there in The Big Dance.

Is Vandy projected to be good in the SEC this season? Sure, they have a great coach & I see most pubs picking them middle of the pack in the Top 25... but do they have players?

They seem to wilt away from home in that league... plus they are a classic NCAA Tourney underachiever.

Vanderbilt is a sleeper pick for the Final Four this year - they are loaded.

Another popular dark horse pick for the FF is ORU-opponent Xavier.

best Vandy thread in orusports.com history |-)

Just goes to prove we're knowledgeable* on EVERY topic here at orusports.com!

*knowledgeable = opinionated to a fault

The posts on this thread today are making TheEagleman very THIRSTY..... :-D

If I'm reading it correctly, then Vandy could play an NCAA game in Nashville if:

1. It isn't on their home floor

2. They haven't already played more than 3 games at that site earlier this season

3. They are not considered the "host" school (I guess Belmont could "host")

In fact, if the above 3 apply, and Vandy is seeded a 5 or higher, then it sounds like the preference of the NCAA to keep them playing as close to home as possible.

All TheEagleman can say is that in the 2010 tournament....Villanova played American and UCLA at the Wells Fargo Center (then called the Wachovia Center) having played 3 "home games" on that floor earlier in the season....that didn't stop the NCAA from putting them in the East Regional in Philadelphia approx. 10 miles from their campus....Nova had a huge home crowd advantage which played a big part in their victory over UCLA in the 2nd round.....American actually played them tough in the first round and many of the neutral fans and local Nova haters joined forces with the American fans and there was a loud Anti-Nova bias in the crowd during that first round near upset.....I believe the Wildcats were a 3 seed and American was a 14.....Nova was eventually ousted by St. Mary's CA. in the 3rd round....so, it would seem to me that Vanderbilt could play in the Nashville's Bridgestone Center as long as they don't play more than 3 games there during the regular season..... :nerd: