Freshmen Bilbury, Jackson Forced To Redshirt?

Old Titan

Freshman Korey Bilbury and D.J. Jackson may be forced to redshirt this season due to academic eligibility issues, according to Mike Brown of the Tulsa World.

The two first-year players have currently been declared ineligible by the NCAA to play, or even practice, this season. They can, however, remain in school on scholarship, and will presumably have four years of eligibility remaining after this season. Brown's blog entry implies an appeal of some sort may be in the works, but for now the two are not scheduled to participate when official practices begin on Friday.

While neither figured prominently in team plans this season, it is still a blow that they will not be able to take part in practices. That means with Utah transfer Shawn Glover sitting out this year, and freshman Kris Obaseki a potential redshirt candidate, we are down to just 9 scholarship players this season:

Morrison

Pearson

Niles

Bell-Holter

Roundtree

Craion

Literas

Manghum

Holdman

Mike Brown's ORU Blog 10/13/11

Tough break for them as players and for the team. But at least they can red shirt and partiicpate next year. I have heard that both of them are capable and were expected to provide some level of contribution this year.

Funny thing is that they both attended summer school and are in classes - and seem to be doing okay academically.

Big time blow, a lot of walk-ons probably around on the team now for practice players...better go get my high tops laced up.

We will be fighting for 2nd in conference now... Maybe even 3rd.

We will be okay as long as we stay healthy. These guys would have seen very limited minutes given that Pearson, Holdman, Manghum and Niles are ahead of them.

Don't get me worng - they are good and will be missed. But they are freshmen and will take time to get used to D-1 basketball. The can use this year to concentrate on their studies and we will have them for four years.

We will be fighting for 2nd in conference now... Maybe even 3rd.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far: we still have a nice four-man rotation at guard with Pearson, Holdman, Niles, and Manghum. Plus, Lliteras can play the #2.

Or, how about this line-up: Pearson at the point, Morrison at the 2, Craion at the 3, Roundtree at the 4, and DBH at the 5?

I LOVE that line-up: match-up problems all over the court for the opposing defense.

And let's remember, Scott Sutton never plays more than 8 guys late in the season anyway, MAYBE nine.

This way, everybody who can play, will.

Just have to hope everyone stays healthy.

Correct.... as long as everybody stays healthy this could result in a contented locker room because everyone will be playing. We will have both players for four years - and they will get to play

more minutes/contribute more next year. They can learn the system and get used to the 'speed' of D-1 basketball.

Interesting that the NCAA forbids them from practicing. Could make it a challenge for these guys to keep their polish - seemingly unnecessarily. Let 'em practice but not play. That seems more appropriate.

Not allowing them to practice seems to be strange to me too. They must have been ruled 'partially eligible'.

To be honest with you, I suspect the reason larger schools did not actively recruit them is the fear that they would be ruled ineligible. The risk was that they would have to go to jucos and not become eligible until their junior years. Even though this (red shirting this year) is not great news - it does mean we have two quality guards for four years - and not two (juco)/or ever. We took a recruiting chance and it worked - sort of.

The not being able to practice is what really hurts.

We have two key starters coming off or still prone to injury (Rod and Craion) who shouldn't be pushed for 40 minutes per game. They need to play in shifts. With a shorter bench it's hard to do that.

I wonder about the decision to redshirt Obaseki. We may need him this season but he just not be big enough for D1 yet.

Guess there will be a whole lot of running and conditioning because 1-9 could all get on the floor.

Like OT said: "Pearson at the Point, Morrison at the 2, Craion at the 3, Roundtree 4 and DBH 5. What a lineup with Niles, Holdman,Manghum and Literas coming off the bench." Match up problems galore! I like it. :talk: No Brainnnnnnneeeeerrrrrr!!!!! :fubar:

Maybe we can get the NCAA to change their mind on this provision. Glad to see they can be this hard on two high school recruits going to a mid-major basketball team (that have already successfully matriculated college classes) but can't seem to find anything wrong with Auburn's recruitment of Cam Newton.

• Upvote 1

it must involve their high school transcripts. thankfully they can remain in school. i guess the fear is that it would slow their growth on the court, but the plus is that they can devote a year to their studies and be that much ahead in pursuing and obtaining their degree (ultimately more important than basketball).

as noted above, they should be fine on the court, but this will hurt in practice.

This is not a good start....we needed those two guys for depth in case of injuries which seem to happen to ORU a lot lately.....TheEagleman also loves the Pearson, Morrison, Craion, Roundtree and DBH lineup....that's what I would start with at WVU four weeks from tomorrow night..... :!:

If this is true, it'll be pretty disappointing.

Korey Billbury (@THREEpoint5)

10/12/11 3:38 PM

"So I can't play this yr because of something they told me to do.. That's real.."

From what I've gathered, it involves issues with their academic standing coming out of high school, and not anything that has happened academically since they got here.

Probably another dumb NCAA rule screws these kids....yet dirtbag ex-coaches like Bruce Pearl just sit out there counting money from buyouts with no penalties..... :puke: :puke: :puke:

• Upvote 1

The NCAA has been really cracking down on online courses that high schools have been using pretty regularly for credit recovery of classroom classes that students do not complete successfully. The thought is that the online courses can be completed in a matter of days/weeks and it is not the same quality of instruction that is provided in the classroom. I don't know if this has anything to do with Billbury and Jackson, but it's possible that there was something that happened in high school that is hindering them now.