USA Today College Basketball Preview

Old Titan

This morning at the grocery store, I glanced at a copy of the USA Today College Basketball Preview, which is a "special edition" tabloid on sale right next to their daily issue for the ridiculous price of $4.95. I have to admit I was a little nonplussed by the Summit League write-up.

I haven't been able to find a version on the web, but as I recall most of the article focused on how dominant Oakland has been the past two years, and whether or not they could continue their string of recent success. It gave the overall impression that, since Oakland might be down a bit this year, the league was "up for grabs".

Also spoke very highly of Alex Young of IUPUI, touting him as the preseason POY and as the "returning high scorer in the league". Truth is, DoMo was the leading scorer in conference play last year at 20.9 points per game; Young was a close second at 20.8.

Their preseason all-conference team had the popular foursome of Wolters, Young, Morrison, and Hamilton, but surprisingly added Christian Siakam of IUPUI to fill out the first-team, while going out on a real limb in picking IUPUI to finish second in the regular season chase. They went so far as to say our game late in the season with the Jags was "the one to watch for the conference regular season title". They did pick us to finish first in the league, but not without a couple of back-handed compliments. The writer listed IUPUI second, SDSU third, and Oakland fourth.

All in all, it was obvious the author didn't care much for ORU - I'm guessing he was from either Detroit or Indianapolis, with some sort of an agenda. Couldn't find a by-line on the article, which frankly is pretty weak by USAToday - do they want us to think these profiles just write themselves, or appear on gold tablets from the heavens?

Personally, I'd like to know whether or not I'm getting riled up by someone with a grudge, or if it's simply the "work" of yet another high school journalism wannabe.