ORU TV Network

ORUJason

With all the discussions about TV networks in college sports such as the Texas Network, the Big 10 Network, and even BYU went independent for football last year because they have the BYU network, it has made me think about ORU's Golden Eagle Broadcasting channel which is accessible nationwide through DirectTV and I assume through Dish network as well.

We have the arrangement with Foxsports to televise mens home basketball games and have televised some tape delay home games and coaches shows on GEB but that is about it. I know that GEB has paid programming from TV preachers filling most slots all week long, but I wonder if the GEB channel could be used a little more for national ORU exposure including athletics.

I know that there might not be enough demand to make big bucks selling ads, but it seems like this is an untapped resource.

We have discussed this a lot at our house. The current use of the ORU television station /network is a greatly underutilized asset. It is interesting to see how BYU uses their network to promote their school & athletic department. I know we have a new person in charge and he may be bringing new ideas to the television station.

So far, Mike Minyard is the only one who has had the foresight and vision to utilize this asset (Fox Sports & Direct TV).

We should at least be running old basketball games late at night when there are no other sporting events on TV.

never understood why they did not go the route of family movies, classic tv shows, and ORU specific programs (chapels, athletic events, etc.). is there really a need for another network promoting men w/questionable theology and even more questionable fundraising methods.

if the network is not going to be used to promote the school, why have it? to me, it harms the university to be associated w/ the likes of benny hinn, jim bakker, et.al.

We should at least be running old basketball games late at night when there are no other sporting events on TV.

I'm ALL for that!!

Terry, how would you make up the loss of revenue from the current people buying air time?

i wonder how KGEB programming (and subsequent revenue streams) are impacted by "not for profit" status?

looked the 990 up on Guidestar. ORU lists "University Broadcasting Inc." as a C Corp on the 'Schedule R, Part IV - Identification of Related Organizations Taxable as a Corporation or Trust.' so i think any income from the tv station would be taxed under the C Corp before being passed on to the non-profit entity (ORU).

i could be wrong, but i don't think it is an issue.

I think KGEB is in a separate for-profit entity / but I am not sure about that.

The loss of revenue from the preacher shows could be offset from advertising dollars - which would probably take some time for transition. I also think we need to take the long view in regards to this asset in terms of promotion of the school and the image presented by the programming.

A 24/7 ORU channel on Cable TV is just what the doctor ordered....a little bit of everything would be nice....Sports, Chapels, interviews, etc....Maybe even a one hour OT Show every week......something like that might even beat out Criminal Minds in the ratings.....in fact, we could call that show "A Criminal Mind",,,,,, :razz:

I think ORU's newest hire will be addressing the KGEB problem asap http://www.oru.edu/n...nnouncement.php

Mills’ vast library of awards include: 3 Emmys, 10 Telly Awards, 2 Cable Aces, 15 Angel Awards, 3 Int’l Communicator Awards, a CBA Impact and Dove Award. In addition, he also received the hero’s medal from the Philippine government for a documentary he produced during the Yellow Revolution titled “The Shaking Has Started.”

HOLY COW!!!

Mills will lead the following areas: Alumni Relations, Ministerial Relations, Major Gifts, Advancement Services, Annual Fund, and Estate Planning, Golden Eagle Broadcasting, University Media Production, Public Relations, Marketing, and the International Worship Center. He will also be a member of the Executive Council for the university.

Sounds like they're a step ahead of us - or are listening to our conversations . . . :^)

found this from the TW...

"This place is a diamond in the rough," he said on Sept. 1, his first day of work, during a tour of the studios in the "Baby Mabee," the smaller of the two Mabee Center buildings on campus.

"My vision is not traditional religious fare. I want to create compelling content to capture new viewers," he said.

Mills said he plans to relaunch the station on Jan. 1 with a new logo, new look and new programming.

LINK

His skill set is uniquely positioned to remake the university's broadcast/cable television presence. I am glad they are moving in this direction and anxious to see where KGEB is headed.

This sounds good. I just hope that sports have a part in the upcoming programming arrangement. We don't really know if that is planned or not.

I wonder how difficult it would be to broadcast a game from JL Johnson...

Great discussion guys. Mr. Mills is a very down to earth guy that loves discussion new ideas. As they are making new plans for the network, I think it would be very beneficial if a few of you shot him an email with your thoughts on how athletic programming can help the University as whole. With all the TV networks talk in college sports, Mike Carter might already have this on the agenda.

As an out-of-towner, I absolutely LOVE having GEB on DirecTV. Chapel services are all broadcast live and then replayed several times each week - and other ORU programming (Face-to-Face with Dr. Rutland, for example) is well done and provides a positive perception of the University. I only wish all the basketball games were broadcast live - and an occasional women's game would be shown (especially with the talent we've had lately). We also need to get newspapers to be aware of the GEB athletic programming, so it can be listed in their "games on TV today" segment.

I don't watch any of the other GEB programming, so any of that could change, but I certainly hope chapels and athletics remain (and increase)!

Why isn't this channel available on regular Comcast Cable?... :|

Why isn't this channel available on regular Comcast Cable?... :|

As they say... "call your cable company today and request Golden Eagle Broadcasting"! :talk: