"SPORTING NEWS" COLLEGE BASKETBALL PREVIEW

SOLO_Gold

The Summit League twitter account (@thesummitleague) tweeted out the following link on Friday, http://bit.ly/q5tnF3.

Here's how 2011-12 Sports News College Basketball Preview breaks down:

PREDICTIONS

1. Oral Roberts
  2. Oakland
  3. South Dakota State
  4. IUPUI
  5. North Dakota State
  6. IPFW
  7. Southern Utah
  8. UMKC
  9. South Dakota
  10. Western Illinois

ALL-SUMMIT LEAGUE TEAM

• Damen Bell-Holter, Oral Roberts
  • Reggie Hamilton, Oakland
  • Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts
  • Nate Wolters, South Dakota State
  • Alex Young, IUPUI

TOP PLAYER

TOP NEWCOMER

• Corey Petros, Oakland

TOP COACH

• Greg Kampe, Oakland

Mike Brown from the Tulsa World did the write up for the magazine, but I'm not sure that means he made the actual picks. Here is how I think it'll happen. A few variations....

SOLO GOLD PREDICTIONS

1. Oral Roberts
  2. Oakland
  3. South Dakota State
  4. IUPUI
  5. North Dakota State
  6. IPFW
  7. UMKC
  8. Southern Utah
  9. Western Illinois
  10. South Dakota

SOLO GOLD ALL-SUMMIT LEAGUE TEAM

• Steven Roundtree, Oral Roberts*
  • Alex Young, IUPUI

SOLO GOLD TOP PLAYER

• Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts*

SOLO GOLD TOP NEWCOMER

• Laval Lucas-Perry, Oakland*

SOLO GOLD TOP COACH

• This one is tough for me. We have quality coaches in our league and this selection depends on how each team responds. I think we should keep our eyes on South Dakota State, and watch how Nagy gets his team ready to play every game.*

• Upvote 1

If ORU unseats Oakland for the championship....how does Kampe get coach of the year?......please......... |(

Mike Brown from the Tulsa World did the write up for the magazine, but I'm not sure that means he made the actual picks. Here is how I think it'll happen. A few variations....

SOLO GOLD PREDICTIONS

1. Oral Roberts
  2. Oakland
  3. South Dakota State
  4. IUPUI
  5. North Dakota State
  6. IPFW
  7. UMKC
  8. Southern Utah
  9. Western Illinois
  10. South Dakota

SOLO GOLD ALL-SUMMIT LEAGUE TEAM

• Steven Roundtree, Oral Roberts*
  • Alex Young, IUPUI

SOLO GOLD TOP PLAYER

• Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts*

SOLO GOLD TOP NEWCOMER

• Laval Lucas-Perry, Oakland*

SOLO GOLD TOP COACH

• This one is tough for me. We have quality coaches in our league and this selection depends on how each team responds. I think we should keep our eyes on South Dakota State, and watch how Nagy gets his team ready to play every game.*

I really agree with almost all of your picks.

I didn't realize that Oakland landed a transfer from Michigan (Laval Lucas-Perry) . Kampe is a great recruiter! It will be a tough match-up again this season.

If ORU unseats Oakland for the championship....how does Kampe get coach of the year?......please......... |(

Kampe gets it when they dominate, and he gets it when they don't. In the years of ORU domination, during the Green/Tutt years, Sutton got it only once. A real travesty, in my opinion.

I, too, agree that if ORU wins the Summit League regular season and conference tournament, Scott Sutton should get COY.

And he will, if that happens.

ORU-Oakland games will both be wars this season....and we likely could see a 3rd match up again in Sioux Falls.....Sutton and Kampe continue to field the cream of the Summit League..... :nerd:

I, too, agree that if ORU wins the Summit League regular season and conference tournament, Scott Sutton should get COY.

And he will, if that happens.

Unfortunate for Scott, the COY is awarded prior to the conference tournament starting. I think that ORU has a very good chance to win the regular and post-season crowns and it would be a shame if the coach that does that is not rewarded.

Lindy's Sports Previews Summit League Hoops

A sneak peek of the preseason basketball preview magazines continues with Lindy’s  Sports College Basketball 2011-12.

In the publication’s national scouting reports, Oakland’s Reggie Hamilton is listed as the country’s No. 4 point guard while Oral Roberts’ Dominique Morrison and IUPUI’s Alex Young place No. 6 and No. 18 among small forwards. Lindy’s puts The Summit League at No. 23 in its rankings of the conferences and projects Oral Roberts as champion.

Lindsey Willhite scouts each Summit League team and picks two-time defending league champion Oakland to finish second behind the Golden Eagles.

Preseason rankings and predictions for The Summit League are below. To read Lindy’s Sports breakdown of each Summit League team and the entire national preview, you can purchase the magazine at your local newsstands or by ordering online here.

Keep checking the Summit Points blog for more updates as the countdown to tipoff continues.

Predictions

1. Oral Roberts

2. Oakland

3. South Dakota State

4. IUPUI

5. North Dakota State

6. IPFW

7. Western Illinois

8. Southern Utah

9. UMKC

10. South Dakota

All-Summit League 1st Team

Reggie Hamilton, Oakland

Nate Wolters, South Dakota State

Ceola Clark III, Western Illinois

Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts

Alex Young, IUPUI

All-Summit League 2nd Team

Travis Bader, Oakland

Reggie Chamberlain, UMKC

Frank Gaines, IPFW

Michael Craion, Oral Roberts

Damen Bell-Holter, Oral Roberts

Player of the Year

Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts

Newcomer of the Year

Laval Lucas-Perry, Oakland

Honor Roll

Best Shooter: Travis Bader, Oakland

Best Rebounder: Damen Bell-Holter, Oral Roberts

Best Playmaker: Nate Wolters, South Dakota State

Best Defender: Ceola Clark III, Western Illinois

Most Versatile: Alex Young, IUPUI

Best NBA Prospect: Alex Young, IUPUI

Hard to believe that Roundtree isn't on the projected first or 2nd team....that's blunderous.....whoever wrote this preview doesn't know about Tree.....TheEagleman thinks he will definitely be in the top 10-12 players in the Summit this year.... :fubar:

Hard to believe that Roundtree isn't on the projected first or 2nd team....that's blunderous.....whoever wrote this preview doesn't know about Tree.....TheEagleman thinks he will definitely be in the top 10-12 players in the Summit this year.... :fubar:

I think you're right about Tree, Eagleman. Honestly all 3 of those guys (DBH, Craion, and Tree) have the potential for being 1st Team All-Summit.

Save for injuries...if ORU has the big year we think they will have.....DoMo is a sure first teamer.....DBH and Tree are possible first team rf if not, definite 2nd team members....Craion, if he gets enough minutes and his foot is fully healed could also be in the hunt as one of the top 10 players in the league.....if we come together early, this is going to be a very good ORU squad.....really good..... :nerd:

What about Warren Niles? Still a decent possibility he could be one of our leading scorers: he averaged over 14 points a game in conference play last season.

We truly have 6 guys who could each average double figures in Summit League games this year, depending on who the coaches want to emphasize in the offensive sets.

Rod Pearson could likely score 10+ a game if needed, but he may end up deferring to everyone else, while averaging 4-5 assists a game.

Here are the leading returning scorers in the league, and where they ranked IN CONFERENCE PLAY from last year:

1. MORRISON, Dominique (ORU) - 20.9 pts per game

2. YOUNG, Alex (IUPUI) - 20.8

3. WOLTERS, Nate (SDSU) - 20.2

6. HAMILTON, Reggie (OU) - 18.5

11. GAINES, Frank (IPFW) - 15.2

12. NILES, Warren (ORU) - 14.4

15. BELL-HOLTER, Damen (ORU) - 13.8

16. ROUNDTREE, Steven (ORU) - 13.2

18. DYKSTRA, Jordan (SDSU) - 12.7

20. CHAMBERLAIN, Reggie (UMKC) - 12.4

21. BADER, Travis (OU) - 11.8

23. THOMAS, Stephen (IUPUI) - 11.5

25. PRICE, Kaimarr (WIU) - 11.3

26. SIAKAM, Christian (IUPUI) - 11.2

27. STEVENETT, Jackson (SUU) - 11.1

28. DAVIS, Kyle (SUU) - 10.8

30. MASSEY, Matt (SUU) - 10.0

Ceola Clark (WIU) and Michael Craion (ORU) both missed last year with injuries, but ranked in the top 30 in conference scoring their previous seasons.

How did Christian Siakam only avg 11 pts a game in conf play last year? He is a beast and I expect his point production will increase this year.

How did Christian Siakam only avg 11 pts a game in conf play last year? He is a beast and I expect his point production will increase this year.

Simple: Young and Nobles were ball hogs.

Curious to see if the new coach will be more demanding when it comes to the Jaguars sharing the ball.

I agree with you: Siakam is a nice player and should get more shots.

Siakim is a load and a pretty skilled low post player. He is bad match up and will abuse most opponents in the Summit League.

The great thing about this ORU squad as OT said is the balanced scoring...we have six guys who are capable of putting up 15+ every night....DoMo, Tree, DBH, Niles, Craion and Pearson....even if a couple of those guys are having off nights, the chances of all six struggling in the same game are slim......the main thing is we have to play improved D....getting Craion back should help.... :nerd:

d will make a big difference s n has oru as a 15 seed in ncaa no mention of luper in 1st-3rd womens all american teams