84 NCAA Oral Roberts vs Memphis St

ORUalum

Back on topic...has anyone ever noticed that some of ORU's biggest basketball games in tournament history have come vs. Memphis?.....1971 NIT....1975 NIT....1984 NCAA Tournament and 2006 NCAA Tournament.....ORU won the first two and lost the last two....time for a rubber match....maybe this year in the post season?.... :ugeek:

"Do you really think he thought he'd have the kind of basketball teams ORU had in the 70's? I wonder how many times he was told that sports weren't Christian or worth the time or money (I'm sure a bunch of times)."

One last diversion, and I'll get out of the way. OR stated early on that his goal was to win a national championship, and he wanted Eddie Sutton as his coach. I think he visualized a highly successful basketball team as much as he visualized every building on campus, including the COF. Also, the PTL scandal was in 86/87,and Swaggart's was '88. ORU's problems were well before then.

OR also really liked Dale Brown at LSU - they played cat-and-mouse a couple of times about him coming to ORU, but in hindsight I think Brown was simply "playing" Oral in order to get raises from LSU.

And, for the record, OR's infamous "God will call me home" vigil was in 1987, Ted Owens last year at ORU. That period was just a bad patch of road for TV evangelists everywhere: I think the ever-creepy Robert Tilton also nose-dived during this time... :shock:

Yeah....TheEagleman remembers the Dale Brown rumors going around....I agree that he had no intention of coming to ORU and was just using us to get more money out of Louisiana State....those were some tough years for ORU basketball....it took Billy Self to finally get us back on the road to recovery.....and then ORU finally got a Sutton even if it was the son of the coach OR really wanted.... :ugeek: