Bradshaw set to join Oral Roberts

ORUalum

i'm guessing this spot opened up after losing kentrell hill to the draft.

Bradshaw set to join Oral Roberts

Chris Bradshaw always told himself that should the opportunity arise to join a Division I baseball program, he wouldn't hesitate to grasp it.

Such a game plan proved fitting recently when Oral Roberts University came calling.

The Golden Eagles had a roster spot and a partial scholarship available for him, with the only catch being that Bradshaw had to quickly make a decision since school starts on Aug. 11 at the Tulsa, Okla., institution.

The former North Medford High standout's only hesitation involved planned visits at other colleges and not wanting to disappoint them by canceling, but such good manners certainly weren't enough to forego an opportunity at ORU.

"It was a big decision but I feel good about it," Bradshaw said Wednesday. "It'll be a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to it."

The prospect of joining Oral Roberts was set in motion prior to his sophomore campaign at Santa Rosa Junior College by Bear Cubs head coach Damon Neidlinger. Golden Eagle coaches saw Bradshaw play a few games at third base for Neidlinger, who also put in a good word for the 20-year-old utility player.

Bradshaw has two years of eligibility remaining to play for ORU, as well as a redshirt year that he doesn't plan on needing. He was a first-team all-state second baseman for the Black Tornado during his senior season in 2009, and has mostly been used in the outfield the past two summers with the Southern Oregon RiverDawgs.

"They mostly talked to me about second base and third base and possibly winning a spot there," Bradshaw, who stands 6-foot and 190 pounds, said of ORU's plans for him. "Of course they're having other guys come in and you're going to have to work for your spot, but I could play anywhere pretty much. I feel comfortable everywhere."

Oral Roberts earned its second straight Summit League title this past spring, going 21-7 in conference and 39-22 overall with a veteran lineup. The Golden Eagles advanced to the NCAA regionals in 2010 and super regionals in 2006. Their only appearance in the College World Series came in 1978.

Bradshaw said he has not visited the campus in Tulsa, but has an aunt and uncle who live nearby and have assured him he'll be happy with his new home.

"I've looked it up online and stuff," he said. "It's a great program, with a pretty nice baseball field and a really nice indoor practice facility (opened in 2009)."

"I'm going to have to work really hard for any playing time," Bradshaw added, "but I love challenges and that's pretty much what I play baseball for, to work for a spot and get to play for an elite baseball team like that."

Full Article

Oral Roberts earned its second straight Summit League title this past spring, going 21-7 in conference and 39-22 overall with a veteran lineup. The Golden Eagles advanced to the NCAA regionals in 2010 and super regionals in 2006. Their only appearance in the College World Series came in 1978.

Boy, they sure botched this up. Probably couldn't believe that any team could possibly win 14 straight conference titles. In any case, let's hope that Bradshaw can contribute.

Probably best he didn't visit during this heat wave - can't imagine day-after-day of 100+ temps would do much for getting him to sign.

Probably best he didn't visit during this heat wave - can't imagine day-after-day of 100+ temps would do much for getting him to sign.

FWIW, southern Oregon (Medford) is pretty hot and dry. The temps might not bother him all that much - now the humidity (which I admit hasn't been all that bad the past few days) is another story.

Temperature predictions for the next three days in Medford, OR:

Friday - 97

Saturday - 96

Sunday - 95

Temperature predictions for the next three days in Medford, OR:

Friday - 97

Saturday - 96

Sunday - 95

Currently the temp in Medford is 90, with a heat index of 89!! It's so dry there they have a negative heat index!

Nice signing by us....TheEagleman is sure the kid can handle the heat...by the way, just had dinner with 3 business associates from OKC and boy, are they looking forward to heading back to 100+ degree heat in Oklahoma.... :blink:

Nice signing by us....TheEagleman is sure the kid can handle the heat...by the way, just had dinner with 3 business associates from OKC and boy, are they looking forward to heading back to 100+ degree heat in Oklahoma.... :blink:

When's your move date to Oklahoma City, Eagleman? Are you buying basketball/baseball season tickets this year? It's only a skip-hop-and-a-throw up the turnpike, so you can be in bed by 11:00 most nights!!

i'm guessing this spot opened up after losing kentrell hill to the draft.

It will be interesting to see if Kentrell made the correct decision to turn pro. He's struggling in the Arizona Rookie League batting .244 as the starting third baseman. It may take him some time to get up the ranks if he's not seeing Rookie League pitching very well. It just shows you what a crap-shoot deciding between an education and going into baseball full-time can be for most kids.

Well, Bogus....Haven't made up my mind yet about a possible move to OKC....my company is moving my department to it's OKC offices near I-44 no later than 7/1/12....I will have to make up my mind by early next year if I cannot find another job within the organization....it's probably a 30-35% chance that I make the move....tonight's dinner was an effort to help sway my decision but MrsEagleman isn't very excited about the opportunity to live in the Sooner State...I will not be in Oklahoma for the upcoming season but 2012-13 is a definite possiblity.... :ugeek:

One of our message board members lives near Kansas City - just south of there, if I remember correctly - and he and his family have season tickets and are at every game! Amazing devotion to the program.

If TheEagleman does move to OKC....I will have ORU season tickets for sure....wouldn't miss a game unless I am in the hospital or the morgue.... :ugeek:

OKC is really a pretty decent town to live in with some good corporate headquarters and state government to support the economy. It also has better pro basketball (Thunder) and TWO pro football teams (OU Sooners & OSU Cowboys) than Philly. :wasntme: ....plus of course the beloved Eagles up the turnpike! What more could a guy want? :inlove:

I hear ya, Bogus....plus at my age, other options are limited to stay in the Phila. area....I will have to make a final decision by early 2012....MrsEagleman is not wanting to move to OKC despite all the great things you pointed out....hard to believe, I know...especially with all the Quick Trips and such.... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

If TheEagleman does move to OKC....I will have ORU season tickets for sure....wouldn't miss a game unless I am in the hospital or the morgue.... :ugeek:

If that happens perhaps we can get the carpool going from OKC to Tulsa!