NEW BASKETBALL COURT!

SOLO_Gold

I would have been greatly disappointed if Expect A Miracle had been removed. Eagleman's posts say it all and may be his best ever.

Gotta keep "Expect a Miracle"...

Not a fan of Eli in it's current form though. Most schools do a brand refresh every 15 years or so.

A good example is what Oklahoma State did in the late '90s. They updated both their Pistol Pete logo and the "OSU" logo. ORU is currently the only Summit team not to have updated their branding this decade.

Now would be a perfect time to dump Eli.

barry-sanders-oklahoma-state-cowboys-autographed-authentic-proline-riddell-full-size-helmet-3367843.jpg

383px-Oklahoma_State_University_Athletics_logo_%28four_colors%29.svg.png

US?.....this coming from the same guys who's rooting for WVU in the opener?..... :blink:

im neutral brother....

Neutral?....ugh........ORU all the way, bro!.... ;-)

heres a vote for keeping the expect a miracle and i miss the old oru fight song also

The other day, I was reading a chapel transcript from 1975--Dr. Buskirk's first ORU sermon. At the end, Brother Bob mentioned that there was a basketball game the next night. And Oral said, "You know, speaking of that, the only contact we have with our city in that way is by the game...these people that come out here who are not part of us, per se. And you students, as you participate and you send your love, it isn't that we're just having a game, and you know that. It isn't that you're just sitting up there in a body and you're supporting your team and all of that. It's far more than that. We're loving those people who are filling these seats out here. Do you believe that?"

Just some insight into how OR viewed ORU basketball...

• Upvote 3

The other day, I was reading a chapel transcript from 1975--Dr. Buskirk's first ORU sermon. At the end, Brother Bob mentioned that there was a basketball game the next night. And Oral said, "You know, speaking of that, the only contact we have with our city in that way is by the game...these people that come out here who are not part of us, per se. And you students, as you participate and you send your love, it isn't that we're just having a game, and you know that. It isn't that you're just sitting up there in a body and you're supporting your team and all of that. It's far more than that. We're loving those people who are filling these seats out here. Do you believe that?"

Have to say, that's really powerful. It truly reveals the heart of the man. He may have done and said some controversial things, and ruffled some feathers in his day, but those few sentences speak volumes about where his heart really was.

Great Post. Thanks for sharing.

+1

That sort of sentiment from OR is indicative of why I get miffed on occasion about our ticket pricing and promotions, when our athletic events are held, our scheduling philosophy, etc.

I get that we are trying to compete IN the sports world - I just wish sometimes we didn't worry so much about being OF the sports world (John 17:13-16).

In other words, taking "EXPECT A MIRACLE" off the court would be terrible - and for a variety of reasons.

+1

That sort of sentiment from OR is indicative of why I get miffed on occasion about our ticket pricing and promotions, when our athletic events are held, our scheduling philosophy, etc.

I get that we are trying to compete IN the sports world - I just wish sometimes we didn't worry so much about being OF the sports world (John 17:13-16).

In other words, taking "EXPECT A MIRACLE" off the court would be terrible - and for a variety of reasons.

VERY well said, OT.

Taking "Expect a Miracle" off the court would reflect an attitude of forgetting or not caring about ORU's heritage. Not good.

If EXPECT A MIRACLE is ever taken off the court....TheEagleman will cease to be a fan of not only ORU basketball but ORU period...it would be a travesty because it truly is what OR was all about...I had the opportunity to speak with OR several times as sports editor of the Oracle for a year and as a sports writer for another year....oh, he wanted to win...but it wasn't all about the winning...it was more about the witness to the city and the nation of sports fans who might watch our games on TV or read about us in the newspaper or a magazine....Oral was so pleased when we would be mentioned in Sports Illustrated or some other national magazine....not because he was proud but because his University and the Lord were being raised up....TheEagleman still recalls OR walking on stage when chapels were held at Mabee Center and waiving a copy of Sports Illustrated that had ORU ranked 4th in the nation....he put on his reading glasses and read the entire article....and another time in a chapel right before ORU was to play SW Louisiana in our first nationally televised game he reminded all the students about the witness we would provide to the nation about what ORU was all about....ah, those were good times and spoke about how the man viewed basketball as just another way of reaching a nation of lost souls.....EXPECT A MIRACLE says it all, my friends..... ;-)

• Upvote 2

If EXPECT A MIRACLE is ever taken off the court....TheEagleman will cease to be a fan of not only ORU basketball but ORU period...it would be a travesty because it truly is what OR was all about...I had the opportunity to speak with OR several times as sports editor of the Oracle for a year and as a sports writer for another year....oh, he wanted to win...but it wasn't all about the winning...it was more about the witness to the city and the nation of sports fans who might watch our games on TV or read about us in the newspaper or a magazine....Oral was so pleased when we would be mentioned in Sports Illustrated or some other national magazine....not because he was proud but because his University and the Lord were being raised up....TheEagleman still recalls OR walking on stage when chapels were held at Mabee Center and waiving a copy of Sports Illustrated that had ORU ranked 4th in the nation....he put on his reading glasses and read the entire article....and another time in a chapel right before ORU was to play SW Louisiana in our first nationally televised game he reminded all the students about the witness we would provide to the nation about what ORU was all about....ah, those were good times and spoke about how the man viewed basketball as just another way of reaching a nation of lost souls.....EXPECT A MIRACLE says it all, my friends..... ;-)

Great post and great memories, Eagleman.

Another Eagleman story from back in the day.....my senior year we were playing a Saturday afternoon nationally televised game vs U. of Pennsylvania at Mabee Center....so this would have been early 1976 when Jerry Hale was the coach...I was a married commuter at the time and got to the arena early for front row seats with my old buddies from my former wing Youngblood....we were sitting on row 1 behind the basket where the student sections were back in those days....about an hour before tip off, legendary CBS broadcaster, the late great Ray Scott comes walking by to get ready for the broadcast and we recognize him and start chanting his name....well, he comes right over to us and spends about 3-4 minutes talking about his experience at ORU...he couldn't have been more effusive in his praise of our campus, coaching staff, etc. and just how great he had been treated during his visit to Oral Roberts University....he said he especially loved the EXPECT A MIRACLE on the court...there were about 10-12 of us and he shook all of our hands and thanked us for making him feel welcome....he told us he couldn't wait to see our team play (we had a decent squad that year but not as good as some of our previous seasons)....as he was finishing shaking the last hand...up walks OR out of the tunnel and he spots Scott talking with us....Oral comes over and asks Ray if he is enjoying his visit and Scott proceeds to say again that his visit to Tulsa and the ORU campus has been one of best places he has ever seen and experienced...and he mentions how these students have really made his visit special by recognizing him and also making him feel at home....OR was beaming....he walked with Ray over to the press row and then came back over to us and told us what a great witness this type of thing is for the University and for sending out the message about ORU and what we stand for....we all felt very good that day and it meant a lot to us that Oral come over and said what he said....so, needless to say.....ORU goes and loses the game blowing a big early lead and we lost a heartbreaker by 1 point...I recall it was a late turnover by Arnold Dugger that did us in when we had a chance at the game winning basket....oh well....at least we put on a great show and a good witness to the country.... :smile: