ORU gains transfer forward from Utah

ORUalum

ORU gains transfer forward from Utah

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Shawn Glover, a 6-foot-7 forward, has transferred from the University of Utah to play basketball at Oral Roberts University.

Glover is enrolled in summer school, ORU head coach Scott Sutton said. Glover will have two years of eligibility after sitting out next season.

Glover played in 31 games, starting 22 as a Utah sophomore last season. He averaged 6.2 points and 3.6 rebounds while averaging 23.6 minutes per game. Glover shot 31-for-104 (.298) from 3-point range.

According to Sutton, Glover decided on ORU because he wanted a school closer to his home in Cedar Hill, Texas, and because of his association with former Golden Eagle forward Yemi Ogunoye (2002-08), also from Cedar Hill.

Glover was a three-year captain at Cedar Hill, averaging 18.1 points as a junior and 15 points, four rebounds and three assists as a senior. He received All-State honors as a senior.

FULL ARTICLE

This kid sounds like he might be a solid replacement for Craion....of course, we hope Mike is healthy for the 2011-12 season.... :worried:

Coming out of high school, Shawn had offers from:

• Utah
  • Bradley
  • Clemson
  • Colorado
  • Davidson
  • Marquette
  • Missouri State
  • Oklahoma State
  • ORU
  • Western Kentucky

Glover looks like a GREAT get by the ORU coaching staff.

Picture5.png

ShawnGloverShawnGlover32oftheUtahUtesshootsagainstKendallWallace2oftheUNLVRebelsduringtheirgameattheThomasMackCenterJanuary162010inLasVegasN.jpg

Story.jpg

Another player!!! dangg..how many players we gonna take lol...seems like a solid player though, captain when he was at Cedar Hill, thats a nice bball school

Wow! Sutton is just stockpiling players right now. Can't wait to see how this roster shapes up for this year. Might have to do some finagling with the scholarships if all of these guys stick around.

Just made a quick chart to get a feel for what the scholarship roster looks like at this moment. I wasn't sure if Lliteras will be a redshirt freshman or not, but since he didn't log any minutes, I just assumed that.

27xngrd.jpg

I remember reading in another thread that the twins were never officially announced as signing, so I opted to put them under the scholarship available line (13). Typically a transfer will get a scholarship for the transfer year, but who knows how they are handling that.

How do you guys see this playing out? I know for us at Oakland the coach has mentioned before how there have been times when a guy who has had a scholarship all along has sometimes not used one for a year, mostly guys who might come from a family who can afford it (I know I read a few guys are doing that for Louisville this year too). Do any of the seniors fit the bill?

Very nice chart. Thanks for the hard work; it's nice to see the roster laid out over the next four years. You forgot to add Mikey Manghum (pg from England who Sutton granted a scholarship - or at least that's what we think). That makes 17 possible scholarship players.

We obviously can't have 17 players on scholarship - that leave four players who have to be handled another way. My guess is that we won't know the final disposition of the roster until classes start.

thanks for the chart hd18. i think agsomwine will be a RS-JR???

since the jenkins twins were never announced as signees by ORU, perhaps they are going to be placed in a prep school or juco.

can't imagine someone paying their way. someone may not be coming back or they will be on some type of academic scholarship.

We are really loaded....TheEagleman is guessing that perhaps Coach Self is kicking himself for ever leaving ORU ..... :-P:wink::razz:

Very nice chart. Thanks for the hard work; it's nice to see the roster laid out over the next four years. You forgot to add Mikey Manghum (pg from England who Sutton granted a scholarship - or at least that's what we think). That makes 17 possible scholarship players.

We obviously can't have 17 players on scholarship - that leave four players who have to be handled another way. My guess is that we won't know the final disposition of the roster until classes start.

I highly doubt we'll see the twins in ORU uniforms this year. They have a lot of developing to do and would benefit from a year at a prep school.

I can imagine that we might have a couple more surprises in store for ORU basketball this summer... we'll just have to see how everything shakes out.

Im still wondering if Roderick will use his last year of eligibility....Ive been told the twins are already in summer school. I wish we knew what was going on lol :blink:

Hard to believe that one of those freshman PGs we signed isn't better than Pearson.....he may have been our best last season but he was still mediocre....TheEagleman is wondering also if he will be back....I guess it depends on weather or not he already has his degree of if he feels it would be in his best interest to move on with his life.....sounds like the next 3 months will be interesting as far as seeing how our roster shapes up come 9/1.... :ugeek:

Just a little bit regarding the preceding posts:

Glover is not a "Craion replacement" type of player: dude shot over a hundred trey's last season. He's apparently more of a Domo or Larry Owens face-to-the-basket-from-the-perimeter guy.

Angsomwine redshirted this past year and has two years of eligibility left, even if academically he may be a "senior" this season.

Would be SHOCKED if both twins are eligible - and if just one is eligible, why add him to an already-crowded roster and consequently put the two siblings on conflicting graduation paths? Would imagine they will both go off to some prep school together.

Obaseki has "redshirt" written all over him - maybe he will be on some other form of aid, if any at all.

Pearson really came into his own at the end of the season - it's Domo and Niles I worry about. It's time for both of them to raise their game to another level.

TheEagleman agrees that Pearson was a lot better in late January and February last season.....coming off that major knee injury, he was finally playing at close to 100%....after 2nd and 3rd thoughts, it might not be a bad thing to have his experience around for the 2011-12 season.....Freshman PGs can be very inconsistant....also agree that Warren Niles was a little disappointing last year after a fine freshman season....his shooting wasn't that consistant except in a few games...but when he gets hot, look out....we need more from him next year along with some major senior leadership from DoMo.....Morrison has to be THE MAN if ORU is going to supplant Oakland as Summit Champs in 2011-12.... :ugeek:

What about Angsomwine? Is it possible that the 4 non-scholarship players will be Angsomwine, Obaseki, and the Jenkins twins (due to going to a prep school)?

Is Angsomwine the type of player who is developing into an eventual contributor or is he just too raw to be a contributor?

heard the twins are not coming to ORU (at least this season) and they are both going to prep school.

heard the twins are not coming to ORU (at least this season) and they are both going to prep school.

As of Sunday's OKC paper the twins were still listed as committed to ORU. From what I've heard Pearson will definitely be back. Prep school may be a good move for the twins, what is ORU's commitment to them after they go to prep school do they have to offer again next year?

Hard to believe that one of those freshman PGs we signed isn't better than Pearson.....he may have been our best last season but he was still mediocre....TheEagleman is wondering also if he will be back....I guess it depends on weather or not he already has his degree of if he feels it would be in his best interest to move on with his life.....sounds like the next 3 months will be interesting as far as seeing how our roster shapes up come 9/1.... :ugeek:

I don't know why you love to bag on the best point guard on our team. Holdman was good too but it does no good to consistently wish guys who are clearly going to get playing time to be totally off the team. I just think its funny you wish an UNPROVEN unknown other player should play when you have no idea if they will be better than what we have now (see McClintock, Hunter).