SDSU vs. ORU/Sunday

theeagleman5

Nice! Thanks. Someday someone else may win the Summit baseball auto bid. But today is not that day!

So cliché, but I couldn't resist:

Wow!! When was the last time that pivotal plays decided the outcome of a Summit League Championship game? I can't even remember one. The nearly-disastrous decision to send Schiller in the squeeze play in the eighth might have cost ORU a run and the win in nine innings. Price chose not to send the base-runner from third on the pop-up to Winieki in center field and challenge Joey to throw to home, setting up ORU for the walk-off hit by Spencer Barnett.

Interestingly, I think that these decisions were uncharacteristic for each coach. Rob generally has a conservative approach to base running - I think Geoff said he'd only seen three or four squeeze plays all year, and Rob elects to run it when the game's on the line in the championship game. Price, on the other hand, is more aggressive in his style om general, and, according to Geoff, had talked all tournament long about wanting to "challenge Winieki's arm", yet when the opportunity presented itself, he elected not to!!!

Baseball is a crazy game. There's just no other game like it!!

First, kuddos to Rabbit for his congrats. I'm sure he is disappointed (as I know I would be after losing in my back yard) and he still found the time and sportsmanship to come here and say kind words. Says a lot about his character and his love of sports - it's only a game after all.

Nice wins this weekend by ORU...in a relatively down season, the team found itself before it was too late. Goes to show you the skill and capabilities of Rob Walton and the coaching staff to get through some of the inconsistencies. A real tell-tale sign was when Gonzalez gave up the home run in the game yesterday and subsequently issued two straight walks with a partisan crowd. Rob Walton comes out to talk to his freshman and, although the lead runner moves to third, the team escapes with no more damaage and Gonzalez goes on to give up two more hits and complete the game. Earlier in the season, we would have lost Gonzalez due to confidence.

To answer an earlier question by Eagleman, Guest has been hurt this season and he was probably still on a pitch count; thus the reason for his early exit. As far as I'm concerned, all of the pitching this weekend did pretty well. To give up five run in a weekend is pretty amazing and, if we had gone to a game two, I think we would have probably won (I realize that may sound biased, but I think we had the pitching and the bats, plus Vermuellen (sp?) had pitched so long in the first game that he would have been torched in a second game).

It appears that we're probably headed to Texas for the regionals (Fort Worth, Austin, College Station or Houston (Rice)). You pick 'em, any of those places are going to be tough for us. We'll probably be a #4 seed and we'll face the home team in the first game. If we are fortunate enough to win that first game, we may have a chance, but if we lose that first game, we need to guard against a "2-and-barbeque" scenario. This team has momentum on its side right now and they have shown that they can compete with the best of them (ASU, Texas, TCU and WSU), but this is the regionals and every game will need to be our "A" game.

Glad to see our Eagles in the winning column and congratulations on a 14th consecutive regional. There aren't many teams that can say they have made that many appearances - and especially consecutively (two, in fact). GO EAGLES!!

Thanks for the congratulations 89Rabbit. The Jackrabbits played well but ran into an experienced team. Gotta think that SDSU missed their chance this year; the tournament was in their backyard and they have a senior laden team with two great pitchers.

May not rate as high in sheer excitement as the incredible 9th-inning comeback vs. Southern Utah in the 2009 semi's, but today's championship game must still rank up near the top in terms of suspense AND significance.

Consider the situation: the greatest threat in a decade to ORU's throne (in the form of SDSU), who ALSO happens to be hosting the tournament in their own backyard, vs. one of the least accomplished ORU teams in 20 years.

In short, if there was EVER a season where it looked like ORU's string of conference titles might be in serious jeopardy, this was the year.

But what happens? ORU plays arguably their best 3-game stretch of the season to win their 14th straight title.

It's like Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich famously said, following their unlikely second consecutive NBA title: "NEVER underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION".

ORU proved today that (even in what may be considered a "down" year) if you want to BE the champ, you gotta BEAT the champ. And not by a "decision" - you gotta knock him out. :punch:

Sorry that TheEagleman had to leave abruptly and miss all the 11th inning excitement but back now and savoring another Summit League Title!....big pitching effort in the top of the 11th to get out of that bases loaded no out jam but that IS the heart of a champion!....I thought we were toast in the 11th...but not so....Congrats to ORU for #14 in a row...the Jacks gave us all we could handle today and TheEagleman agrees that this was the best chance in years for SDSU to take our title away.....looking forward to watching the NCAA Selection Show tomorrow afternoon....would love to see us go somewhere other than Texas....I want a match with Sunny and OU!.... :devil:

Congratulations to Coach Walton and the baseball team!

Congratulations on another Summit League title. Good luck as you continue to the next tournament.

89rabbit and West-River Jack, you guys are class acts. Takes a lot to show that kind of sportsmanship under the circumstances, and I appreciate it a lot. Sportsmanship is what it's all about, and you guys set the standard. Thanks.