ORU vs. SDSU

theeagleman5

No doubt that this is the biggest game of the season this afternoon in Sioux Falls....a win today and the good guys only need win one game tomorrow to punch their ticket to the NCAA Tournament....no doubt Gonzo will be on the mound for ORU....the freshman has shown tremendous poise all year but this will be a real pressure spot today....TheEagleman hopes he is up to the task in front of what will be a pro-SDSU crowd...I will not be around but will be checking back in tonight when I get home...the loser of this game will be forced to have to come back tonight and play again and win 3 games in a 24 hr period....so this afternoon's winner has the easy path to the championship.....it should be a dandy....Go Blue!..... :sweat:

Every game from here on out is "the biggest game of the season", no matter who we are playing. :)

3-1 ORU as we head to the top of the 4th....good start for the good guys today....Gonzo has given up just one hit...a HR....he has 6 Ks already... :-)

ORU 3 SDSU 1 thru four innings now...Gonzo still has given up only one hit and has 7 Ks....he's up to 73 pitches....wonder how long Coach Walton will stretch him out today?....175+ pitches?... :razz:

ORU is the "Road" team (batting in the top of the inning) even though we have the higher seed. I remember this from previous Summit League tournaments as well.

I think the higher seeded team is always the "Home" team in game 1 and game 2. How do they determine the "Home" team for game 3 and beyond?

Yeah, Jason...TheEagleman thinks that the higher seeded team should ALWAYS be the home team...isn't that why you earned the #1 seed?....seems only fair....still 3-1 with ORU batting in the top of the 7th....Gonzo up to 94 pitches and has been touched for only 3 hits....looking like he will go at least 8...maybe Rush comes in for the save if we are still ahead going to the 9th?... :ugeek:

Yeah, Jason...TheEagleman thinks that the higher seeded team should ALWAYS be the home team...isn't that why you earned the #1 seed?....seems only fair....still 3-1 with ORU batting in the top of the 7th....Gonzo up to 94 pitches and has been touched for only 3 hits....looking like he will go at least 8...maybe Rush comes in for the save if we are still ahead going to the 9th?... :ugeek:

Schleheuber hits a 3-run HR and ORU leads 7-1 in the top of the 7th! Way to go!!

ORU is the "Road" team (batting in the top of the inning) even though we have the higher seed. I remember this from previous Summit League tournaments as well.

I think the higher seeded team is always the "Home" team in game 1 and game 2. How do they determine the "Home" team for game 3 and beyond?

Jason, the higher seed team is the home team in the first round games. After the first round, the home team is determine by coin flip. If we meet SDSU in the championship game, I believe we get to be the home team since we were visitors in today's game; however, if there is a game #2 on Sunday, the home/visitor team swap from the championship game #1 regardless (in other words, on Championship Sunday, you can't be home team twice).

Schleheuber hits a 3-run HR and ORU leads 7-1 in the top of the 7th! Way to go!!

We needed the breathing room. We will be hard to beat twice in a doubleheader setting tomorrow (hopefully we only go one game tomorrow).

:clap::clap::clap: ...not today, Jacks....Gonzo cruising thru 7 and the big four spot with the 3 run HR breaks it open for ORU at 7-1.....SDSU will be playing for their lives tonight vs. NDSU...wonder if the Jacks will be a bit deflated?....we might be playing the Bison tomorrow.... :nerd:

Still 7-1 with ORU batting in the top 9th....Oberle at 130+ pitches and still in there for SDSU despite having given up 7 runs....geez.....Gonzo crising at 113 pitches....Walton might want to give Rush an innings work in the 9th to shake off the rust....we shall see....Good Guys gonna be in the finals tomorrow...what else is new?..... ;-)

complete game for ORU...great pitching, good defense, and timely hitting

2 games, 2 pitchers, 1 run surrendered.

A three-hitter for Gonzalez....10Ks....this kid is a money pitcher to throw like this is the key game of the tournament against the host team.... :clap::clap::clap: ...ORU is in good hands with this young man as the Ace over the next few years....7-1 Good Guys....now the Bison and Jacks will battle to see who loses to us tomorrow.... :-P

Getting the 1st 2 wins in this tournament was crucial so that we could avoid having to dig deep into our pitching staff. Now in tomorrow's game since Bowen pitched 9 innings and Gonzalez pitched 9 innings we will be able to have a lot of pitching depth available for the 1st game and even the 2nd game (hopefully we won't need to play a 2nd game tomorrow).

All of the tough games against Arizona State, Baylor, Arkansas, Wichita State, TCU, etc. pay off in a game like today's. This team has been inconsistent at times this year, yet they were able to play SDSU with a lot of confidence knowing that they have fought through many tough battles this year.

Also, as was discussed over the last few days, starting Bowen in our 1st game and then having Gonzalez for our matchup with SDSU ended being a perfect strategy.

It is unlikely that either SDSU or NDSU will be able to beat ORU twice tomorrow. Although it certainly is possible.

However, it is good for the conference for SDSU to be improving the quality of its program. It is not easy for a school in the Dakotas to put together a team that (albeit against a lot of lesser competition) can win 36 games. I certainly want to see ORU continue dominating the Summit League, but I also want to see some of the other teams make efforts to improve their facilities and recruiting so that the overall perception of the league can also improve in baseball circles.

I'll borrow the link that ORUAlum posted on Thursday for the SDSU stream and post it here:

SDSU Baseball Broadcast

In the middle of the second inning NDSU leads the game 1-0, and are comming to bat in the bottom of the inning.