Tournament Game 1

MrsSmith

8-0 good guys, headed to the 6th.

Hard to complain about much today: beautiful weather in Sioux Falls, Bowen has settled down after struggling a bit early with his pitch count, the defense has saved him a couple of times with some stellar plays, and we already have three home runs in what appears to be a launch pad of a stadium (two by T.J. Bennett, one by Nick Baligod).

Geoff just said that the wind is blowing in..... but earlier in the game it was blowing out.

Big win today makes TheEagleman very happy....both the bats and Bowen come up huge....great start to the tournament and now we can sit back and see what happens tonight with SDSU and NDSU....anybody know who's on the mound for the Jacks?.... :ugeek:

SDSU up 3-0 after 1.

radio stream

Thanks for the radio link, Alum. I made a half-hearted search for audio, but decided it was subscription like ORU's, and gave up. Kind of nice to listen. The radio announcer for SDSU, Tyler Merriam, seems to be a pretty good guy. Geoff Haxton has gotten to be pretty good friends with him, and mentions him pretty often.

Treinan is mowing down the Bison. There haven't been this many Bison carcasses strewn about since the buffalo hunters hit the Great Plains 150 years ago!! He's retired 14 in a row.

Jackrabbits (or, as Tyler Merriam says, "Jackribbits") lead 4-0, bottom of the fifth.

• Upvote 1

he does say "jackribbits"! i had not noticed until you mentioned it. he also say "bizon",

attendence for the two sessions -- 519 and 1493...what's the over/under on how many years it will take summit league to move to a bid system for baseball?

4-1 w/two on for the "bizon". SDSU bringing in Vermeulen.

he does say "jackribbits"! i had not noticed until you mentioned it. he also say "bizon",

attendence for the two sessions -- 519 and 1493...what's the over/under on how many years it will take summit league to move to a bid system for baseball?

Tyler probably says it that way because the "Bison" call themselves the "bizon". If you ever listen to their own announcers they say it that way. The Dakotans just talk funny!! :nerd:

Actually, the first time I heard Tyler say Jackribbits, I thought he got his tang tungled, but after that I heard him say it that way every time. THEN - I heard a commercial, and the guy in the commercial said it the same way!! Must just be the way they say it up there. Bizon and Jackribbits. Maybe we should be the "Gilden Eagles" or the "Gilten Eagles".

I've listened to quite a few announcers from other teams when our own radio wasn't available, and most the time I listen in disgust or end up turning them off - just can't stand listening to them. But I've actually enjoyed listening to Tyler Merriam. In many ways he reminds me of Hax. What did you think of his broadcast, Alum?

i was in and out doing other things and watching the basketball game...what i heard, i thought he calls a pretty good game. of course, i'll take claxton everyday of the week.

geoff added a new word to his call today...doneski. (i forget the context) he said chris belvin gave him grief as soon as he uttered it. i don't know; it could be his signature call. "that ball is hit deep...it's over the wall...and doneski!":wink:

i was in and out doing other things and watching the basketball game...what i heard, i thought he calls a pretty good game. of course, i'll take claxton everyday of the week.

geoff added a new word to his call today...doneski. (i forget the context) he said chris belvin gave him grief as soon as he uttered it. i don't know; it could be his signature call. "that ball is hit deep...it's over the wall...and doneski!":wink:

I remembered Belvin giving him a hard time over something that he said - couldn't remember what it was. Glad your memory is better than mine! I'll be listening for that one in the future!

"It's DONESKI!!!"

Glad to hear that the Jacks used up Treinen tonight so ORU doesn't have to face the SDSU ace tomorrow....what was the final score?.... :ugeek:

Glad to hear that the Jacks used up Treinen tonight so ORU doesn't have to face the SDSU ace tomorrow....what was the final score?.... :ugeek:

4-1 Jacks. Three of the four runs were scored in the bottom of the first inning. The Bison did a pretty good job of holding them off, otherwise.

I was frankly a little surprised at the 1500 attendance figure. That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought more might show up for an interstate rivalry game featuring the closest schools to Sioux Falls, with an NCAA berth on the line, on a beautiful night for baseball in what looks like a very nice stadium.

I mean, they take 20,000 to Minneapolis and such for football games - are NONE of those folks baseball fans?

We drew more than 1500 for a midweek game with Arkansas with nothing but pride on the line. Granted, more than half in attendance that night were Hog fans, but that's what you expect when regional rivals clash, and it's what I expected last night.

Still, with a little luck, this year's tournament is on track to break the all-time attendance record of 3667, set in Tulsa back in 2008. Wonder what today's 3:00 p.m. start for SDSU will do for attendance?

good points OT. it just seems like the league is really enamored w/the dakotas. if they prove they can outdraw the tourny in tulsa i think the league would like to make it a permanent fixture up there like the basketball tourny. w/the loss of centenary and southern utah it feels like ORU is becoming more and more the geographical outlier of the conference. the summit league truly is becoming the "badlands" conference.

good points OT. it just seems like the league is really enamored w/the dakotas. if they prove they can outdraw the tourny in tulsa i think the league would like to make it a permanent fixture up there like the basketball tourny. w/the loss of centenary and southern utah it feels like ORU is becoming more and more the geographical outlier of the conference. the summit league truly is becoming the "badlands" conference.

Yeah, but the difference is, our "outlier" geography is a plus for baseball - we're 250 miles further south than anyone else in the league who plays the sport!

Why would they want to lock into a situation where you can easily be holding baseball games in late May in 40-degree weather?

I was frankly a little surprised at the 1500 attendance figure. That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought more might show up for an interstate rivalry game featuring the closest schools to Sioux Falls, with an NCAA berth on the line, on a beautiful night for baseball in what looks like a very nice stadium.

I mean, they take 20,000 to Minneapolis and such for football games - are NONE of those folks baseball fans?

We drew more than 1500 for a midweek game with Arkansas with nothing but pride on the line. Granted, more than half in attendance that night were Hog fans, but that's what you expect when regional rivals clash, and it's what I expected last night.

Still, with a little luck, this year's tournament is on track to break the all-time attendance record of 3667, set in Tulsa back in 2008. Wonder what today's 3:00 p.m. start for SDSU will do for attendance?

Bison fans will go to the end of the Earth to watch the football team play, just the way it is. Fargo is a decent baseball town but the short season really hurts NDSU, not many opportunities for people to see the team and expecting anyone but family and friends to drive to Sioux Falls to watch Bison baseball on Memorial Day weekend is a big stretch to say the least. If the game was in Fargo it would probably draw about the same so I can't really rip on SDSU for their attendance either.