Midco Sports Network to Televise Summit League Baseball Championship

ORUTerry

Courtesy: The Summit League

Release: 05/23/2011

Midco Sports Network will air the entire 2011 Summit League Baseball Tournament.

2011 Summit League Baseball Championship presented by American Airlines

ELMHURST, Ill. - The Summit League and Midco Sports Network, based in Sioux Falls, S.D., have reached an agreement that will give the network exclusive broadcast rights to the 2011 Summit League Baseball Championship presented by American Airlines.....

Read the rest of the story here.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• ORUJason

doesn't affect us. :mellow: bummer.

BUT . . . they'll have access to the tournament in Minnesota, where they REALLY appreciate Summit League baseball. :roll:

In the words of our intrepid confernce leader, Tom Douple:

"We are very happy to have Midco Sports Network televise our entire Summit League Baseball Championship . . . This will be a historic tournament for us, both in terms of location and unprecedented coverage. Our continued partnership with Midco Sports Network presents our baseball programs with an exciting opportunity to gain additional exposure for their student-athletes."

Wonderful.

Based on his comments about Tulsa/ORU you've got to wonder what he's thinking. Sometimes it feels like he's saying to us, as OT likes to say, "Gee-for-a-fat-girl-you-sure-don't-sweat-much".

I'm sure a local channel could pick up the MidCo Sports feed with very little cost. Maybe Cox channel 3. I have no idea if there are local advertisers interested in paying to have their spots shown on a Summit League baseball telecast.

The Summit League Commissioner is just trying to hype up what he has right now, a baseball tournament in Sioux Falls, SD. So he is pushing the fact that it is the first time the tournament has occurred in a professional baseball stadium and not at a home team Summit League stadium. I'll be curious to see what kind of attendance they generate. Since SDSU has played well this year, they may generate some interest.

I'm also wondering why the tournament isn't in Tulsa this year since we won the Summit League last year. Did we choose not to host?

I'm sure a local channel could pick up the MidCo Sports feed with very little cost. Maybe Cox channel 3. I have no idea if there are local advertisers interested in paying to have their spots shown on a Summit League baseball telecast.

The Summit League Commissioner is just trying to hype up what he has right now, a baseball tournament in Sioux Falls, SD. So he is pushing the fact that it is the first time the tournament has occurred in a professional baseball stadium and not at a home team Summit League stadium. I'll be curious to see what kind of attendance they generate. Since SDSU has played well this year, they may generate some interest.

I'm also wondering why the tournament isn't in Tulsa this year since we won the Summit League last year. Did we choose not to host?

SDSU and ORU shared the Summit League Championship last season. We had the tie breaker and if you remember we were the #1 seed in last year's tourney played in Tulsa so we had the right to choose to host this year's tournament and we exercised that option.

Before OT goes crazy . . . I know you won last year's tournament and went on to the NCAAs. :wink:

See you in Sioux Falls.

The option of hosting the tournament is awarded to the winner of the REGULAR season, Jason, and as 89rabbit indicated, although we tied them for first and were regular season co-champions, SDSU had the benefit of the tie-breaker as a result of winning the series against ORU in Brookings.

This season ORU won the conference championship outright, and will host the tournament next year in Tulsa. We also go into the tournament in Brookings as the number one seed.

Put this in the "For what it is worth column". Here is a video pre-view of the Summit League Tourney done by Terry V. (SDSU beat writer) and Tyler M. (Voice of the Jackrabbits). Watch it if you are interested.

http://www.argusleader.com/videonetwork/956978682001/SummitBaseballPreview

OT please feel free to rant. :inlove:

good preview...thanks for posting. i would disagree slightly on projected pitching. i would guess ORU will throw bowen in the first game and have johnson coming out of the bullpen if he got into early trouble. if SDSU holds their ace, round 2 could be interesting w/gonzo going against treinen.

any idea 89rabbit if SDSU will save treinen for ORU?

While I don't think anyone would argue that at times Terry Vandrovec isn't (understandably) an SDSU homer, and at times I've expressed some frustration with the way he's covered certain events, I have to say this - there is no other media outlet covering the Summit League in the way that Terry does. He produces these videos regularly, and, if we're fair to him, makes a genuine effort at being as objective and unbiased as he can.

I thought this one was excellent. He and Tyler Merriam showed a good working knowledge of each of the teams playing in the tournament, and I thought their conclusions were good. Alum, I don't know if you watched it clear till the end, but near the end they suggested that because of pitching depth ORU may save Gonzalez to a later round, but that SDSU may have to use Treinen earlier.

Thanks for posting this, 89rabbit.

thanks for the clarification tmh. i understood them to predict ORU would pitch johnson, gonzo, guest. my point was that i thought bowen would start the first game. did not catch that treinen would be pitching the first round for SDSU. this definitely is in ORU's favor in my opinion.

i have to admit i doubted this team after the western illinois series, but they seemed to have figured things out. let's hope they keep the streak going.

i also agree they did a great preview of the tournament.

If TheEagleman were coaching ORU, I would go with Bowen in game 1 vs. WIU and save Gonzalez for the 2nd round on Saturday....Bowen should be able to handle the Leathernecks....we will need Gonzo in that 2nd game which is the really big one....even if we should lose game 1...I want Gonzo in that Saturday game no matter what....win the first 2 and we only need one win on Sunday....Johnson and Guest(if needed) can go on Day 3....SDSU may be forced to go with their ace in Game 1 because they can't afford to lose vs. a very good NDSU team....ORU earning that #1 seed last week was huge.... :ugeek:

My predictions... (if winning mind you) game 1 bow. game 2 cheech. game 3 guest.

I leave for sd tomorrow. Wish me luck.

My predictions... (if winning mind you) game 1 bow. game 2 cheech. game 3 guest.

I leave for sd tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Good luck!! :grin:

If TheEagleman were coaching ORU, I would go with Bowen in game 1 vs. WIU and save Gonzalez for the 2nd round on Saturday....Bowen should be able to handle the Leathernecks....we will need Gonzo in that 2nd game which is the really big one....even if we should lose game 1...I want Gonzo in that Saturday game no matter what....win the first 2 and we only need one win on Sunday....Johnson and Guest(if needed) can go on Day 3....SDSU may be forced to go with their ace in Game 1 because they can't afford to lose vs. a very good NDSU team....ORU earning that #1 seed last week was huge.... :ugeek:

NDSU is not that good, they have the lowest RPI of the 4 teams - NCAA Division I RPI: No. 120 Oral Roberts, No. 143 SDSU, No. 234 Western Illinois and No. 257 NDSU - and we have beaten then 4 out of 5 this season. If it is up to me I save Treinen for Friday. I might start Heemstra (6'9" Fr. from our Basketball team) who had a nice game up in Fargo the last time we saw the Bison. OK that might be a little crazy, but I would save Treinen.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472cPost%3a5b147f09-c425-42c4-8803-39f324982f17

While I don't think anyone would argue that at times Terry Vandrovec isn't (understandably) an SDSU homer, and at times I've expressed some frustration with the way he's covered certain events, I have to say this - there is no other media outlet covering the Summit League in the way that Terry does. He produces these videos regularly, and, if we're fair to him, makes a genuine effort at being as objective and unbiased as he can.

I thought this one was excellent. He and Tyler Merriam showed a good working knowledge of each of the teams playing in the tournament, and I thought their conclusions were good. Alum, I don't know if you watched it clear till the end, but near the end they suggested that because of pitching depth ORU may save Gonzalez to a later round, but that SDSU may have to use Treinen earlier.

Thanks for posting this, 89rabbit.

You are welcome.

Thought I would also share this, it has been a very tough year on the Vandrovecs (see link to video below) and he is a class guy doing a very good job. They are always in my prayers.

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive/index.cfm?VideoFile=052211eye

You are probably right, 89....the Jacks will likely save their ace for Game 2 on Friday....SDSU should be able to beat NDSU with their #2 guy...... :ugeek:

thanks for the clarification tmh. i understood them to predict ORU would pitch johnson, gonzo, guest. my point was that i thought bowen would start the first game. did not catch that treinen would be pitching the first round for SDSU. this definitely is in ORU's favor in my opinion.

i have to admit i doubted this team after the western illinois series, but they seemed to have figured things out. let's hope they keep the streak going.

i also agree they did a great preview of the tournament.

I may have misinterpreted what they were saying too, Alum - wouldn't be the first time! :grin: Here's the upshot, and I think I'm correct on this - they gave ORU the best chance of winning based on pitching depth, and that SDSU must advance through the winner's bracket to have a chance at winning. I think those are probably pretty accurate conclusions. I also thought their comments about ORU's non-conference experience being a plus were interesting - I never really thought about that being a benefit during the Summit League Tournament, but given the venue, that's probably true. Tyler Merriam mentioned the recent game against ranked TCU as showing ORU is ready to bring it, on the road, in a hostile environment. Terry said that in his conversation with Rob Walton that Rob seemed unconcerned about the location of the tournament - that he felt ORU could win the tournament on the road. It will be an interesting test for our team.