Midco Sports Network to Televise Summit League Baseball Championship

ORUTerry

You are welcome.

Thought I would also share this, it has been a very tough year on the Vandrovecs (see link to video below) and he is a class guy doing a very good job. They are always in my prayers.

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive/index.cfm?VideoFile=052211eye

Thanks for posting that, 89rabbit. If I remember right, I think Terry also lost a baby a couple years ago. He's certainly had to deal with tragedies in his life that none of us want to go through.

When our only connection with a person is through sports we tend to view that person through a competitive light. In reality, our lives are a lot more complex than that. My impression of Terry Vandrovec is that he's a good guy, and we could be great friends - if he was an ORU fan!! :wink:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• ORUalum

The last two times the tournament was on the road (at Centenary and at Western Illinois), very focused ORU teams ROMPED.

Overall, I really don't think there is that much difference between SDSU and ORU this year - which in all honesty is an indictment of the Golden Eagles, in relation to past ORU teams.

What we DO have in our favor this week is a lack of really good left-handed pitching on the roster of the three other teams in the field. ORU has been tearing it up the past month against right-handers, and that's pretty much all they'll see in Sioux Falls. If we can just get some decent starting pitching from someone other than Gonzalez, plus some steady defensive play, I really think our relievers and hitting will put us over the top for a 14th straight title.

P.S. For what it's worth, we didn't "share" anything with SDSU last year. Since the Summit League conducts a conference championship tournament, neither the conference nor the NCAA recognizes a "regular season champion", or "co-champion", or whatever. The winner of the TOURNAMENT is the "champion" for the year, and the only thing that finishing at the top of the regular season standings means is that your team gets the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament.

Still, why do I suspect there's some sort of trophy or plaque from Brookings Engravings displayed prominently in the SDSU "Moral Victory Trophy Case", touting the Jackrabbits as "2010 Summit League Baseball Regular Season Champions"?

Rabbit - I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy between the RPIs that you listed and the RPIs at Warrennolan.com, but they list the RPIs as:

ORU - 108

SDSU - 163

Western Illinois - 251

NDSU - 253

Even with the schools that have recently dropped baseball, there are still 300 D-1 baseball programs.

Based on our RPI, I assume ORU would be a 4-seed in a regional (with only a small chance of a 3-seed) if we are fortunate enough to win the Summit League tournament.

The last two times the tournament was on the road (at Centenary and at Western Illinois), very focused ORU teams ROMPED.

Overall, I really don't think there is that much difference between SDSU and ORU this year - which in all honesty is an indictment of the Golden Eagles, in relation to past ORU teams.

What we DO have in our favor this week is a lack of really good left-handed pitching on the roster of the three other teams in the field. ORU has been tearing it up the past month against right-handers, and that's pretty much all they'll see in Sioux Falls. If we can just get some decent starting pitching from someone other than Gonzalez, plus some steady defensive play, I really think our relievers and hitting will put us over the top for a 14th straight title.

P.S. For what it's worth, we didn't "share" anything with SDSU last year. Since the Summit League conducts a conference championship tournament, neither the conference nor the NCAA recognizes a "regular season champion", or "co-champion", or whatever. The winner of the TOURNAMENT is the "champion" for the year, and the only thing that finishing at the top of the regular season standings means is that your team gets the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament.

Still, why do I suspect there's some sort of trophy or plaque from Brookings Engravings displayed prominently in the SDSU "Moral Victory Trophy Case", touting the Jackrabbits as "2010 Summit League Baseball Regular Season Champions"?

Not your best work, but I appreciate the effort that you put into your rant.

Rabbit - I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy between the RPIs that you listed and the RPIs at Warrennolan.com, but they list the RPIs as:

ORU - 108

SDSU - 163

Western Illinois - 251

NDSU - 253

Even with the schools that have recently dropped baseball, there are still 300 D-1 baseball programs.

Based on our RPI, I assume ORU would be a 4-seed in a regional (with only a small chance of a 3-seed) if we are fortunate enough to win the Summit League tournament.

RPIs at THIS MOMENT on BoydsWorld.com:

Oral Roberts - 100

South Dakota State - 160

Western Illinios - 251

North Dakota State - 253

FWIW.

RPIs at THIS MOMENT on BoydsWorld.com:

Oral Roberts - 100

South Dakota State - 160

Western Illinios - 251

North Dakota State - 253

FWIW.

Bottom line, and the point I was making, neither of us should need our #1 pitcher tomorrow to win.

Bottom line, and the point I was making, neither of us should need our #1 pitcher tomorrow to win.

No prob, 89rabbit - I was just pointing out the RPI difference on Boyd's World, since Jason had used Warren Nolan.

No prob, 89rabbit - I was just pointing out the RPI difference on Boyd's World, since Jason had used Warren Nolan.

Oh yea, totally get it. That last post was really for ORUJason. Different sources on different days give you different results. The only thing that doesn't change is that the #1 & #2 seeds are much better on paper then the #3 & #4 seeds. Sorry my last post wasn't very clear.

TheEagleman could see a scenerio where I wouldn't use Gonzo until Game 3.....If ORU beats WIU and NDSU should upset SDSU....TheEagleman wouldn't waste Gonzalez against the Bison....I'd go with Johnson or Guest and save our "Ace" for the likely meeting in Game 3 with SDSU which would be for the clincher.....even if for some reason we lost the second game to NDSU...we would still have the advantage with Gonzo going in that elimination game late Saturday....it makes sense not to throw Gonzalez until we absolutely have to.....especially since our #2 and #3 guys are not too bad....am I right?.... :ugeek:

TheEagleman could see a scenerio where I wouldn't use Gonzo until Game 3.....If ORU beats WIU and NDSU should upset SDSU....TheEagleman wouldn't waste Gonzalez against the Bison....I'd go with Johnson or Guest and save our "Ace" for the likely meeting in Game 3 with SDSU which would be for the clincher.....even if for some reason we lost the second game to NDSU...we would still have the advantage with Gonzo going in that elimination game late Saturday....it makes sense not to throw Gonzalez until we absolutely have to.....especially since our #2 and #3 guys are not too bad....am I right?.... :ugeek:

If you win the 1st game and NDSU upsets SDSU, then I would still throw Gonzalez against NDSU to ensure that you get that 2nd win and are in the driver's seat. By the time you would play SDSU (if they made it through the loser's bracket) they would have to beat you twice.

Remember each of these teams has beat us once and Western beat us twice (although I don't really count the rain/darkness-shortened game in which we were leading when the game was called as a loss). So we can't afford to look past anyone.

If you don't start Gonzalez in the 1st game it is a risk even against Western Illinois. I trust Rob Walton's choices since he is way closer to the situation than I am. The key is somehow doing what it takes to win those first two games.

Sorry, Bro...I trust TheEagleman more than Walton....this is the same guy who let Sullivan throw like 187 pitches a few years ago..... :-P

Thanks, 89rabbit! Very thorough list.

I'm looking forward to the games getting started today - ORU plays at 2:00 PM, for those that don't already know.

"Top talent: SDSU ace Blake Treinen - who will start tonight "

i'm surprised SDSU is pitching treinen in the first round...once again TMH is proven right and why he's the smartest guy on the message board.

interesting article by terry v that the pressure is actually on SDSU --- at home, senior laden team, might be best chance for awhile to end the ORU streak.

"Top talent: SDSU ace Blake Treinen - who will start tonight "

i'm surprised SDSU is pitching treinen in the first round...once again TMH is proven right and why he's the smartest guy on the message board.

interesting article by terry v that the pressure is actually on SDSU --- at home, senior laden team, might be best chance for awhile to end the ORU streak.

Oh, PUULLEASE!!! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I get things WRONG far more often than I get them RIGHT!! Even so, I appreciate the thought! Thanks!! :wink:

Not only is there pressure on SDSU for the reasons listed, but I think up until a couple weeks ago they really felt like they had championship in the bag. The losses at Tulsa put a little doubt in their minds, and the loss in the final game of the season to IPFW shook their world. The tournament gives them an opportunity for some vindication.

ORU SEEMS to be playing their best ball of the season, just at the critical time. Hopefully they roll into Sioux Falls and dominate. We'll find out if they will starting in a few hours.

ORU has scored nearly 20 runs in the last two games against the 'Jacks ace. No doubt Coach Price has decided to go with someone else in an anticipated rematch with ORU.