game 4

drclean1

ORU score 9 runs in the bottom of the first and went on to win 18-4.

I have never seen so many singles...must be good for the batting averages.

Go get them next week.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• MrsSmith

• ORUalum

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two days we have seen the ORU team of old as we put the final nails in the coffin of SUU and clinched the #1 seed in the tournament...outscoring the T-Birds by 30-6 should hopefully give the good guys some confidence at the plate as we head up to Sioux Falls and take on 4th place WIU in the opening game....TheEagleman will be interested to see if Coach Walton goes with Bowen or Gonzalez in Game 1. It won't be easy taking out the host Jacks and we will likely have to beat them twice to win the tournament unless NDSU can do us a favor on day one.... :ugeek:

I have comments and photos to add about yesterday's game - haven't had time yet. I'll try to get that done later today. Been battling a virus on my computer that has me pulling my hair out!

Sorry to hear about your virus, TMH...but glad to hear that you still have hair left to pull out.... :grin: ......can't wait to see the photos from ORU Senior Day.....this should be an interesting week....even though we are the #1 seed and defending Summit Champs for many years running.....this is a year where host SDSU has a solid chance to end our streak of consecutive NCAA appearances....ORU really needs to win those first two games....that's the key....It will be very hard for SDSU to beat us twice in one day.....same goes for us....we aren't likely to sweep a DH from them either.... :unsure:

Sorry to hear about your virus, TMH...but glad to hear that you still have hair left to pull out.... :grin: ......can't wait to see the photos from ORU Senior Day.....this should be an interesting week....even though we are the #1 seed and defending Summit Champs for many years running.....this is a year where host SDSU has a solid chance to end our streak of consecutive NCAA appearances....ORU really needs to win those first two games....that's the key....It will be very hard for SDSU to beat us twice in one day.....same goes for us....we aren't likely to sweep a DH from them either.... :unsure:

Thanks, Eagleman - I think I've finally got it whipped, after three frustrating days of trying every solution I could find. Thankfully, it wasn't a particularly malicious virus - one called the the "Google Redirect Virus" - when you click on a link in Google it redirects you to a random web site - not the one you were wanting. Seems to be gone now.

About the game - I knew from Geoff's broadcast on Friday that they had rescheduled the Sat. game to earlier in the day - I thought to 11:00, but it was actually to 11:30. I NEVER get to games in time for the first pitch, but because of the mix-up I actually got there early, and enjoyed watching the guys warm up, and do the National Anthem. A little league team was there, and joined the team on the field for the Star Spangled Banner. It was pretty warm and humid by game time.

This game was over almost before it started. SUU wasn't playing for anything but pride, and even in warm-ups they looked lethargic and half-hearted. Mark Guest was the starting pitcher - with flowing locks and the fastest delivery in the west. Guy would have made a great gun slinger. He mowed down the first three batters, and we went to the bottom of the first, where ORU absolutely crushed SUU. As everybody knows now, ORU piled up eleven runs, and the game was essentially over. Guest pitched very well for three innings, but things fell apart for him rather quickly in the fourth inning and SUU plated three runs. But it really didn't matter.

Both teams managed to score more runs, but it was essentially going through the motions, and ORU wins by ru-ru in the seventh. Final score, 20-6.

One of the cool things that happened at the end of the game was the honoring of the game's home plate umpire, Ken McQueen. According to information gleaned from Geoff's broadcast and the ceremony, Ken has officiated over 3200 games in a thirty seven year career. He's umped countless NCAA Tournament and Big 12 Tournament games during his career. It was his desire to ump his last game at ORU. I thought that was pretty neat.

It was also Senior Day and we had nine seniors honored. They were Nick Baligod, Brett Burch, Chris Elder, Mark Guest, Joey Winiecki, Brett Sowers, Sean Johnson, Bryce Smolen and Jason Stacy. We're going to miss those guys.

Pics to follow.

I like doing these panoramas. This one is during the National Anthem. Unfortuantely, it shows most of the fans at the game yesterday.

dscf0684schsmallm.jpg