ORU vs SDSU - Sunday

ORUTerry

interesting point about errors actually being down. perhaps w/scoring more at a premium, unearned runs tend to stick out more now. an error or two in 3-2 game tends to stick out more than in a 10-6 game.

that being said ORU has always seemed to have great defensive middle infielders...plumley, holm, younger, kahalileo, etc. i have not looked up the numbers, but i don't think schiller and bennett are in that class defensively. the good news is that bennett is just a freshman and will only get better.

I think Torrence actually hit 4 batters and had an error of his own. Those 7 runs in the 3rd were just given away.

ORU's fielding pct. is not completely awful, they still lead the league (which may say something about the league), it's more frustrating the types of errors. We should have been out of that inning pretty quickly, and when they got a couple of runners on, Torrence fell apart.

ORU pitching is much better than last year, but not as deep as years past, so I didn't really expect to see a 4-game sweep this weekend. No halfway decent team should lose every game in a 4-game set anyway.

There's also a difference between a 4-game set in conference play and postseason baseball. After rolling through the first 3 games, yesterday kind of felt like a mid-week game.

Hitting is getting better, but we still have these games where we just can't bring anybody home.

We're still 9-2 in the last 11 games, maybe ESPN or Baseball America will say something nice about us on the internets :rolleyes:

I know we lead the league defensively again this year, but it's just not the defense I am use to seeing from an ORU team: we seldom see the spectacular play this season, and the routine stuff is never a guarantee.

All those previous Rob Walton teams that were among the national leaders in fielding percentage have me spoiled, I suppose...

I know we lead the league defensively again this year, but it's just not the defense I am use to seeing from an ORU team: we seldom see the spectacular play this season, and the routine stuff is never a guarantee.

All those previous Rob Walton teams that were among the national leaders in fielding percentage have me spoiled, I suppose...

I have to agree - the spectacular HAS been missing. BUT - does it seem to you that fewer balls are being hit up the middle? That our middle infielders have had fewer opportunities to make the great plays?

Here again, I suppose that info is available in on the stat page, and I may check it out. I know we've tried to pin a world of woes to the new bats, but I've actually wondered if they might affect the travel of the ball, and consequently limit the shots up the middle.

On Sunday our second baseman (Bennett?) committed an error on a VERY routine (slow rolling) ball hit right to him. He was too lackadasical and waited for the ball to come to him... then realized that the runner might beat the throw if he did not hurry. He then was in such a hurry that he mishandled the ball. It was a mental mistake - not physical.

This is not ORU baseball as we are used to it....we seem to have only one starter that we can truly count on every time out (Gonzo) and Rush in the bullpen....no matter what happens next weekend and whether we are the #1 or #2 seed, the tournament is Sioux Falls will be no picnic...it's up for grabs....so will Coach Walton save Gonzalez for a likely game 2 matchup with SDSU or does he have to throw the ace in game 1?....I agree with OT....whichever team represents the Summit will be hard pressed to win a game in the NCAA Tournament as the #4 seed..... :worried::sweat::worried:

While on this discussion I wanted to point out that of our starting line-up, Chris Elder is the only player to have not committed an error the entire season.

Not bad . . . for a guy that also leads the team in home runs.

Nice job, Chris!