IPFW series

ManiacAlum

I've started growing my own personal postseason moustache early this year, I'm hoping this will give us a boost to finish strong. "Fear the 'Stache!" :fubar:

Current 'stache record: 0-0

BTW, first pitch at 6:30 ;-)

Let's hope it works, Maniac....TheEagleman is praying for a sweep of the Mastadons this weekend...hope the weather is nice and warm since ORU doesn't seem to enjoy colder temps.... :sweat:

Eagles hold off IPFW 1-0 in a very short game (2 hours). SDSU loses first game of series to Oakland, so ORU picks up a game in the standings.

Big pitching effort by Bowen and Rush....we needed that tonight as the ORU bats again fell silent....was the IPFW hurler THAT good or are our bats still in a slump?....how was the crowd tonight....the SDSU loss at home to pathetic Oakland is a big surprise...I guess that's why you have to play the games.....if we sweep it's possible ORU could be tied for first by Sunday night....that series at JLJ in two weeks is looking huge....the #1 seed is so important this year.... :ugeek:

Big pitching effort by Bowen and Rush....we needed that tonight as the ORU bats again fell silent....was the IPFW hurler THAT good or are our bats still in a slump?....how was the crowd tonight....the SDSU loss at home to pathetic Oakland is a big surprise...I guess that's why you have to play the games.....if we sweep it's possible ORU could be tied for first by Sunday night....that series at JLJ in two weeks is looking huge....the #1 seed is so important this year.... :ugeek:

I doubt that their pitcher was that good - but it didn't matter. Nearly every time we made contact with the ball it went DIRECTLY to an IPFW player. Those hits that made it to the outfield for the most part were right at the fielders. I remember one deep shot that an IPFW fielder had to make a galloping grab over his head at the warning track - otherwise they didn't have to work too hard.

IPFW is a nice looking team - tall and athletic. We hung around a little bit last night after the game, talking with some students, and the IPFW team walked out past us. I'm 5'11" and they all seemed to tower over me. It's surprising that they're now 11-24 on the season, and only 6-7 in conference. If looks meant anything, they'd probably be leading the conference.

Crowd size was fairly small, but remember, school is out now - graduation is today. I saw a few kids with their parents - probably here for graduation or helping them move home. After this weekend we still have three weeks of games left, so these guys are hanging out long after school is out. One of the players is a friend of mine, and I asked him if they were having to move - he said they all had to move to one dorm - I think it was EMR. He lives close, so he's just going to move home, so he doesn't have to move twice.

Couldn't have been a more beautiful evening. During the day it had been sunny and warm, but fiercely windy - 25-40 mph. I thought it could be miserable out there due to the wind - but it died down and was little more than a gentle breeze by the evening - and the temp was perfect - right around 70. Couldn't have been better. The field is in primo condition - they use one of those directional mowers to mow it in a checker-board pattern, and it just looks spectacular. I watched part of the game from the patio on the Home Run Room, and it's SO cool to be sitting out there and see a batter hit the ball deep to right field, the fielder line up on it and catch the ball - about twenty feet from where you're sitting. I love that!

I don't think there's any way around that we're struggling mightily at bat right now. There just doesn't seem to be any punch in the whole group. Guys that were home run hitters last year can't get on base this year. Baligod hit a hard liner down the first base line late in the game last night and tried to squeeze two out of it, only to get tagged out at second. I thought at the time, that was the season in a nutshell - effort's there, just don't seem to be able to get it done. One interesting thing - last night EVERY PLAYER had their socks up - not one guy on the team playing with long pants. I suspect that Rob is working on developing a stronger "team" attitude within the group, or something.

With all of this navel-gazing, though, we're only a game out of first in conference with SDSU's loss to Oakland yesterday. We haven't dominated as much this season as in seasons past, but we're still very much in the hunt. As Eagleman said, we still play a series against SDSU at home - which, if we can get some production out of these guys and win that series, allows us to make up games against the leader in a hurry!

Team              Summit W-L  Overall W-L  

South Dakota State  10-3        24-12  

Oral Roberts         9-4        20-16  

North Dakota State   9-4        13-20  

IPFW                 6-7        11-24  

Southern Utah        6-9        18-23  

Western Illinois     6-9        14-29  

Oakland              5-8        11-21  

Centenary            3-10        6-23  

One other thing - I see that NDSU plays SDSU AT SDSU next weekend. Hopefully that will open up a little breathing room between us and the Bison - then again, it COULD open up a little breathing room between us and the Jacks . . . :wink:

I've started growing my own personal postseason moustache early this year, I'm hoping this will give us a boost to finish strong. "Fear the 'Stache!" :fubar:

Current 'stache record: 0-0

BTW, first pitch at 6:30 ;-)

I've had a 'stache nonstop since 1975 - don't know if it's helped the team much or not. :ugeek:

Eagles hold off IPFW 1-0 in a very short game (2 hours). SDSU loses first game of series to Oakland, so ORU picks up a game in the standings.

Number Two Son showed up at 8:00, thinking he had another hour and a half to watch - he saw three half-innings.

When neither team can get any base runners on, the game goes by quickly . . .

Hoping for a better showing by the Eagles today.

Great report, TMH...the good guys need to scratch out some runs today and win a pair....but just one at a time....any idea why it seems that Gonzalez has been relegated to the #3 man in the rotation?...what is Walton's thinking there?.... :shake:

Look Back over the years. Rob Walton has always thrown his most "dominant" guy in the 7 inning game. Not as much time to catch up if you fall behind. He wants that game to go quick and for ORU to dominate. That's why you see the "best" arm go in the 7 inning games. Happens every year. It's actually quite a compliment to be the 7 inning game starter.

Hope that helps.

Unbelievable day here. Let's play 2.

Look Back over the years. Rob Walton has always thrown his most "dominant" guy in the 7 inning game. Not as much time to catch up if you fall behind. He wants that game to go quick and for ORU to dominate. That's why you see the "best" arm go in the 7 inning games. Happens every year. It's actually quite a compliment to be the 7 inning game starter.

Hope that helps.

Unbelievable day here. Let's play 2.

Thanks, Geoff - I was going to make the same point. Gonzo may be starting the third game of the series, but that doesn't make him the "third man" in the rotation. You want your "ace" on the mound in that 7 inning game.

Excellent point....thanks, Hax and Blue......TheEagleman never would have thought of that.....Good Guys off to a 2-0 lead batting in the 4th today vs. IPFW....Sean Johnson 1 hitting the Mastadons so far.....domination..... ;-)

IPFW jumped on Johnson in the 5th to take a 4-2 lead but ORU has rallied back to tie on a HR by King in the 6th at 4-4.....good guys still batting....we need this game badly to set up a DH sweep by Gonzo in game 2..... :sweat:

...and we head to the bottom of the 9th with the game still tied at 4.....we need a walk off hit here!..... :sweat::unsure::sweat:

ORU loses game one today 5-4 in 11....Geez..... :blink: :'( :'(

We never used to lose games like this at home vs. Summit competition.....the 2011 team just can't seem to get untracked..... :worried::unsure::shock:

Agreed.... In the past we won these types of games. The lack of timely hitting is perplexing.