I Hope

JoeyO

Fellow fans,

As I sit here at my desk staring at the brackets that I posted in front of me; staring at me, exciting me, terrifying me, I think back to one of my favorite movies, The Shawshank Redemption. There is a scene in that movie at the end when Red is going to reunite with Andy in Mexico. To Red, he is traveling into the great unknown. He is going to a place he has never been and he is imagining what it will be like in his head. The NCAA tourament, this journey across a border I have never crossed, this long lost friend who I have never met, this ocean of possibilities, this dream... I thought I would share this section of the movie with you all to sum up exactly how I feel. Read the following in the context of our current situation. This is by far the most nervous I have been in months, maybe years so I can relate to Red when he said:

I find I am so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain... I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

I have had my signature this whole season and it has never been as fitting as this coming weekend and the tournament. Let's finish.