Tulsa World Announces Fees For Online Content

Old Titan

Am I alone in thinking that $15.00 a month is a little steep for access to content that is already supplemented by REALLY expensive advertising rates?

Tulsa World Unveils New Subscription Plans

But it does appear they've kept something of a "grandfather clause" (literally and figuratively): you can get the Sunday printed edition AND unlimited internet access for $12.00 a month.

Awesome!

This means fewer people will read the Tulsa World.

Plus, it only takes a few lines of javascipt to read it anyway... There are several Firefox extension that insert javascript that let you bypass the NY Times wall.

Newspapers are stupid.

Fewer people may read the Tulsa World for online but it probably means more money in the long run. It seems now the paper is less reliant on funds from subscriptions and just the advertisers. If they can't prove how many subscribers they have then they can't charge more for ads. If they get more readers signed up as "subscribers" it should mean more dollars. And in some cases it means cheaper subscription rates. Here in OKC you can get a Sunday and Wednesday paper for $15.00 for the year.

Other newspapers must be going to this model. Last night I clicked on a link in a tweet of someone I've been following about the Mizzou job - probably one of the sports writers for the Columbia Tribune - and a message from that paper popped up:

"You have viewed your monthly allowance of 10 free articles. If you want to read more, just close this window and follow the directions for quick and easy access. If you are a 7-day print subscriber, you qualify for online access at no additional charge for a limited time. Already an online subscriber? Just sign in and we'll send you on your way.

Thank you!"

My first response was, WHAT? How can that be? But I suppose over the past seveal days I've probably checked out ten articles about this story over there. If so, they ADD UP FAST!

I never realized Calvin was the chairman of General Motors.

The comic could easily be modified to apply to unions as well.

I think it's great that they'll take $3/month of the internet access charge if you're willing to let them deliver you the Sunday paper. That says a lot about how demand has shifted.

I think it's great that they'll take $3/month of the internet access charge if you're willing to let them deliver you the Sunday paper. That says a lot about how demand has shifted.

I think bballmangc hit it right on the head: they are trying to artificially inflate Sunday printed circulation in order to justify that issue's print ad rates.