UNO joins the Summit

ORUIsbig

Summit League

Courtesy: The Summit League

http://www.thesummitleague.org

The University of Nebraska at Omaha's Summit League membership will take effect on July 1, 2011.

ELMHURST, Ill. - The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) has accepted an invitation to become a member of The Summit League, Commissioner Tom Douple announced today. UNO will begin league competition during the 2012-13 academic year.

"We are extremely delighted to add the University of Nebraska at Omaha to our league membership," said Douple. "The academic profile of the university and its history of athletic success are both outstanding qualities and will provide an excellent fit with our league. The vision of the administration to move UNO forward to a higher level is one which we embrace."

The Summit League conducted an on-campus site visit earlier this month and followed by extending an invitation for membership to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. UNO's membership will take effect on July 1, 2011.

Summit League

Courtesy: The Summit League

http://www.thesummitleague.org

The University of Nebraska at Omaha's Summit League membership will take effect on July 1, 2011.

ELMHURST, Ill. - The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) has accepted an invitation to become a member of The Summit League, Commissioner Tom Douple announced today. UNO will begin league competition during the 2012-13 academic year.

"We are extremely delighted to add the University of Nebraska at Omaha to our league membership," said Douple. "The academic profile of the university and its history of athletic success are both outstanding qualities and will provide an excellent fit with our league. The vision of the administration to move UNO forward to a higher level is one which we embrace."

The Summit League conducted an on-campus site visit earlier this month and followed by extending an invitation for membership to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. UNO's membership will take effect on July 1, 2011.

Here is an interesting excerpt from this article:

In its initial years (2012-15) in The Summit League, UNO will be eligible to compete for championships in women's cross country, women's indoor and outdoor track and field, women's swimming and diving, and men's and women's golf.

UNO will be eligible to compete during the 2012-13 regular season in women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, and men's and women's tennis, but will be ineligible to qualify for league championship tournaments.

In 2015-16, UNO will be eligible for all regular season and tournament championships when approved by the NCAA for Division I active membership.

-----------------------

So UNO will compete in baseball and basketball (among other sports) but won't be eligible for championships in those sports until 2015-2016.

Some FAQs about the NCAA bylaws concerning provisional D-1 institutions can be found here.

Here are a couple questions from the FAQ document that I found interesting:

When does a provisional institution that joins a new conference become eligible for that conference’s automatic bid to a particular championship?

A: General requirements for automatic qualification can be found in Bylaw 31.3.4.1.

In all sports, any new member added to a member conference that satisfies the continuity of membership requirements shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier. Therefore, a provisional institution that joins an established conference (i.e., one that currently qualifies for an automatic bid) is eligible for automatic qualification on completion of the provisional process.

Q: When does a reclassifying institution count as a Division I opponent?

A: Institutions that are reclassifying from NCAA Division II to Division I must comply with the scheduling requirements during the second year of reclassification (excluding the exploratory year). The Division I membership approved legislation to permit Division I members to count reclassifying institutions as Division I opponents, for the purpose of meeting Division I membership requirements, during the year in which the reclassifying opponent is required to meet the scheduling requirements (year two). For Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) purposes, a reclassifying institution could be counted in the Division I RPI in the applicable sport during its first year of reclassification if it can meet the Division I scheduling requirements in that sport. The institution must notify the applicable Division I sports committee that it will be satisfying those requirements prior to the season by sending in a copy of its final schedule by September 15 of the year in which it wishes to be included in the Division I RPI.

Welcome UNO....will these guys become our travel partner or will we go with UMKC?... :ugeek:

yet another logo that is better than ORU's

I personally love the ORU logo...

175px-Foghorn_Leghorn.png

UNO will be dropping football and its three time defending national championship wrestling team! Their football team is good too! But they are not a money making sport. I read where it said if they kept both sports that they would have to add two women's sports.

UNO will be dropping football and its three time defending national championship wrestling team! Their football team is good too! But they are not a money making sport. I read where it said if they kept both sports that they would have to add two women's sports.

A lady that works for me that is very connected with the collegiate wrestling community told me a week or so ago that the wrestling message boards were abuzz about UNO dropping wrestling. It's been a bit of a trend over the past few years.

Your post brings up another issue, though - does Title IX only apply to Division I programs? If it applies to all, then why would UNO have to add women's sports to move to D-I? I assume that it must be a D-I regulation.

Foghorn Leghorn for ORU Mascot??....I say, I say, I say....YESSSS!.... :grin::-D:grin:

Story from Omaha about their BBall team:

http://www.ketv.com/r/27422797/detail.html

UNO Hoops Coach Assesses Division l Upgrade

Derrin Hansen Says There's 'Much To Be Done'

OMAHA, Neb. -- Butler and Connecticut play for the NCAA basketball title Monday night in Houston, and although it may be a stretch, someday the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks could be competing for a Division l championship.

UNO basketball coach Derrin Hansen woke up one morning last month and found he had become a Division l head coach, but Hansen said he's balancing his excitement with his empathy for his fellow coaches in football and wrestling who were cut in the move to the Summit League.

"The excitement is tempered a bit with what happened around here, but there's definitely an excitement. There's much to be done," Hansen said.

Hansen's not exaggerating. His team won't play a Summit League game for two seasons, but he's busy checking on his players' eligibility, recruiting, scouting his new league and even figuring out where his team will play home games. But great opportunity also means great expectations. . . . (read more)