Luper nearing unique double

ORUTerry

ORU star is on the verge of becoming first to lead nation in steals and points.

20110323_b5luper0323p2.jpg

ORU's Kevi Luper puts up a shot as Tulane's Danielle Nunn falls to the floor Monday in their WNIT game. The Golden Eagles host Arkansas on Wednesday. JAMES GIBBARD/Tulsa World

excerpt)

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Published: 3/23/2011 2:26 AM

Last Modified: 3/23/2011 4:48 AM

Kevi Luper said she didn't start the season intending to set an NCAA basketball first.

"It really, honestly just fell in my lap," the Oral Roberts sophomore said.

Luper is on the verge of becoming the first Division I player to lead the nation in scoring and steals for an entire season. She leads in both categories, averaging 24.3 points and 3.8 steals per game.

"I became aware of it late in the season and it became a goal, but it never became an individual goal that overtook a team goal," she said.

Read the rest of the story here.

So...is TheEagleman to understand that no male or female D-1 player has ever done this or are we just talking ladies roundball here?...whatever, it's still an incredible feat!....Kevi Luper may wind up being the best basketball player (male or female) to ever play at ORU when all is said and done!.... :clap::inlove::clap:

After tonight's game Kevi will have 806 total points in 34 games for an average of 23.7 points per game.

The next closest women's player is Courtney Hurt of VCU who has scored 720 points in 31 games for an average of 23.2 points per game. VCU is done playing because they lost in the 1st round of the WNIT.

Currently in 3rd place is Dawn Evans from James Madison who has scored 761 points in 33 games for an average of 23.1 points per game. James Madison is done playing because they lost to OU in the 1st round of the NCAA.

Currently in 4th place is Jantel Lavender of Ohio State who has scored 755 points in 33 games for an average of 22.9 points per game. Ohio State (4-seed) plays Tennessee (1-seed) on Saturday in the NCAA Sweet 16. If OSU loses to Tennessee, then Jantel would have to score 52 points to pass up Kevi. If OSU beats Tennessee and then loses in the Elite Eight, Jantel would have to average scoring 37.5 points per game in order to pass Kevi.

Danielle Adams from Texas A & M is currently in 5th place with 772 points in 34 games for a 22.7 average. If A&M loses on Sunday, then Danielle would have to score 58 points to pass up Kevi. If A & M wins Sunday and loses in the Elite Eight, then Danielle would have to average 41 points per game to pass up Kevi. If A&M loses in the Final Four, Danielle would have to average 35.3 over the next 3 games to pass up Kevi.

I think it is safe to say that Kevi has the scoring average title just about locked up.

Kevi has 126 steals in 34 games for an average of 3.7.

The next closest player is Katie Sheahin from Loyola Maryland with 118 steals in 34 games for an average of 3.5. Loyola Maryland lost to Virginia in the 2nd round of the WNIT so their season is over.

The 3rd closest player is JaQuayla Berry from NC A & T but their season is over. The 4th closest player is Jenna Plumley (formerly from OU I think) from Lamar but their season is over as they lost to Arkansas in the 1st round of the WNIT.

The only possible threat comes from Morgan Stroman of Miami FL who has 109 steals in 33 games for a total of 3.3 steals per game. Miami plays OU next in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. If Miami loses, Morgan would need 18 steals in 1 game to pass Kevi. If Miami advances but loses in the Elite Eight, Morgan would need to average 11 steals over 2 games to pass Kevi. If Miami loses in the Final Four, Morgan would need 8.7 steals per game to pass Kevi. If Miami makes it to the finals, Morgan would need to average 7.3 steals per game to pass Kevi.

Kevi probably has this locked up as well. We will have to wait and see.

Nice analysis Jason!! I knew she had a big lead, but I hadn't researched everyone like you did. Thanks.

Nice analysis Jason!! I knew she had a big lead, but I hadn't researched everyone like you did. Thanks.

I agree - nice job, Jason!

:clap::clap::clap: Sounds like Kevi still has the rare double-double still locked up...what a season!.... :clap::inlove::clap: