Eaglebackr

Grizz

I laughed when I read your comment about Kampe losing the CSU game on purpose Saturday....until he did not play Cal Wooton the last 10 minutes of the game when we were down between 7-10 points. No mention of Wooton being hurt after the game, just a coaches decision not to play him.

Kampe is no fool - but it's awfully hard for me to imagine a coach losing a game on purpose. I guess you could say that he didn't lose on purpose, he just didn't do all that he could to win - or at least it might appear that way.

Can you call 'em or what, EB?

Guest EagleBackr

One of my favorite cliches is "lose the battle, win the war". That's all Kampe is trying to do - giving his team a better chance to win the war that is the Mid-Con tournament by losing the battle that was CSU. More proof that there's a good reason why cliches become cliches - because they're usually TRUE!!

Gotta hand it to you, Backr; when you posted your theory I thought it was pretty outlandish, but it appears that you were right - and even Grizzly fans are agreeing!

Based on what I've seen and learned of Kampe, I think he's a pretty shrewd guy, and I don't necessarily put such a think past him.

My initial though was that there is such pressure to win, and not only that but also such an inner drive to win, I couldn't imagine that any coach would allow a game to get away from them if they could avoid it.

But with Grizz's post, I'm a believer!

Guest Rob Marshall
One of my favorite cliches is "lose the battle, win the war". That's all Kampe is trying to do - giving his team a better chance to win the war that is the Mid-Con tournament by losing the battle that was CSU. More proof that there's a good reason why cliches become cliches - because they're usually TRUE!!

Bob Knight's a master of that; when he sees that his team is going to struggle to win a game, he often times pulls players and lets his team lose by a larger than necessary margin and then in comes the psychology of sports into play once again. When you sweep or beat a team badly, you often times think you have a "free pass" next time you match-up. That type of motivation works two ways ... (1) to motive your team to play better to redeem themselves and (2) to relax the other team into believing they have a free pass. :wink:

I guess Homer Drew doesn't follow Knight's philosophy since he had Valpo fouling all the way to the end to keep the point spread under ten.

Guest EagleBackr
I guess Homer Drew doesn't follow Knight's philosophy since he had Valpo fouling all the way to the end to keep the point spread under ten.

Coach "Z" at UMKC will do that even when the Roo's are down twenty! I think some coaches do it out of spite - at bare minimum, they seem to look the other way while their players take out their frustrations on every inbounds pass. Diebler from Valpo was a perfect example Saturday night - after he came into the game with a minute or so to go, he appeared hell-bent on seeing how hard he could foul whoever he could reach...