TU Turns Down CIT/CBI

Old Titan

For the life of me, I can not understand the rationale behind Tulsa's decision to eschew playing in the CIT or CBI postseason tournaments.

I can think of no better example of why this is a terrible idea than the headline on the front page of the Tulsa World this morning, right at the top above the masthead:

"SPORTS: ORU, OSU MAKE TOURNEYS; TU SEASON OVER"

Ouch.

Because THAT'S what people will remember: not that TU turned it's nose up and it's chance to keep playing down, but simply that TU didn't make the postseason again this year.

Which is flat-out dumb, from a PR standpoint alone.

Maybe they have their reasons: maybe it's the money (doubt it), Wojcik wanting to go interview for other jobs (maybe), or player apathy (could be). Hard to say. But shouldn't a couple of postseason wins be just the tonic for all those concerns?

I can't find where on the web I saw this, but a coach of a similar size mid-major put it best when asked a couple of days ago whether his team would accept a CIT or CBI invite:

"Are you kidding me?" he said. "Do you know how many kids out there dream of playing Division 1 basketball in the postseason? Why would we not try to play in every game we possibly can?"

Why, indeed - unless you're just too proud to bother, or too scared of the possible result.

Neither of which are very admirable qualities.

Hard to believe considering they won one of these tournaments. Either that was not a good experience or Woj is doing some macho stunt declaring "NCAA or bust."

Hard to believe considering they won one of these tournaments. Either that was not a good experience or Woj is doing some macho stunt declaring "NCAA or bust."

It certainly does seem to dilute the significance of their 2008 CBI championship when they now feel they're too good to play in the event.

What exactly have they done since that time to warrant such arrogance? Lost in the early rounds of the NIT?

Wonder if they will be removing the CBI championship banner from the Reynolds Center rafters, since they now are "focusing only on NCAA and NIT play". :roll:

I thought Bubba's quote summed it up pretty good.

"Right now, I think it's in the best interest of our program to continue to think of ourselves at the NIT and NCAA level."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110314_29_B1_Tlasbs589101

"Right now, I think it's in the best interest of our program to continue to think of ourselves at the NIT and NCAA level."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110314_29_B1_Tlasbs589101

How is that working out for them?

"I talked to the CBI this afternoon and told them that we are going to roll the dice with the NIT," Cunningham said Sunday evening. "If not (selected), we're not going to play in the CBI or the CIT."

Cunningham made the announcement - so who made that decision? The coach, the AD, the president, or others?

Yeah, and I'm holding out for Marisa Miller - funny, she must have lost my phone number.

It really doesn't matter whether a school chooses to "continue to think of ourselves at the NIT and NCAA level".

What matters is whether the selection committees do.

I doubt Woj is the one passing as he would like another 20 win season as he is looking for another job. I think he would love the Georgia Tech job and may even take the Bradley job as i can't see his team being better next year without Hurtt. He has some nice players back but Memphis will be loaded next year again.

Seems strange to not keep playing if you are able. Least they have some nice games to see this weekend!

Could this mean that Bubba is going to go ahead and look in a different direction? I hope not. I like Woj at TU :grin:

Tweet by Domo Earlier today:

DoMo45Nation Didnt make it to the ncaa but we still playing, and i rather play than nothing

Tweet by Domo Earlier today:

DoMo45Nation Didnt make it to the ncaa but we still playing, and i rather play than nothing

What he said.

Look, I can understand not embarrassing yourself by campaigning for a tournament bid.

But, to not play when asked? I just don't get it.

I doubt Woj is the one passing as he would like another 20 win season as he is looking for another job. I think he would love the Georgia Tech job and may even take the Bradley job.

Or the Providence job, the Arkansas job, the Oklahoma job, the Texas Tech job, the Towson State job, etc.

I think Sittler has it much closer to the truth than Bubba's spin:

The question at TU is if both sides have grown tired of each other. Thousands of Hurricane supporters are frustrated that TU has repeatedly missed the Big Dance after so much success in the recent past.

Wojcik's name has once again surfaced in the rumor mill as other jobs open up. He reportedly wasn't pleased when school officials decided not to spend the big bucks it would take to "buy" a bid into the CBI Tournament.

Sittler column

OT, I'll leave it to you whether to add "too cheap" as an option in your thread sub-title.

Didn't we rail on TU for playing in the tournament a few years ago? Now they don't play and we get on them for that. Financial incentives especially if they have to travel may not be there. May also be indicative of a possible coaching change?

Didn't we rail on TU for playing in the tournament a few years ago? Now they don't play and we get on them for that. Financial incentives especially if they have to travel may not be there. May also be indicative of a possible coaching change?

Of course we probably did - envy on our part, I would imagine.

Look, I want TU to be good, so that whenever we are fortunate enough to beat them, we look better.

Not playing in the postseason - any kind of postseason - cheapens them.

Which I think is the exact opposite response they were going for.

Very strange decision by TU....makes little or no sense at all....an ORU vs. TU rematch would have been outstanding.....I think this time we could beat them.....it's a shame they had no interest...would have packed out Mabee Center most likely.... :rolleyes:

Or the Providence job, the Arkansas job, the Oklahoma job, the Texas Tech job, the Towson State job, etc.

Maybe they declined it because they know Woj is on the way out and he gets a bonus for playing in the post season tourney?

Maybe they declined it because they know Woj is on the way out and he gets a bonus for playing in the post season tourney?

A TU fan suggested on the radio today that TU needs the CBI money for Wojcik's buyout.