Women's Semi Final vs Oakland

vcboy2000

The Golden Grizzlies are up by 13 at half-time. 57-43. They're hot against our zone defense right now, and their stiff D is forcing ORU into some bad shots. Also, Oakland seems to be the team playing with the extra days rest and not ORU. Our girls seemed gassed right now. Coach Fink has got to rally the troops and try to speed the game up. Also might try switching from zone to man every once and a while to keep Oakland off balance. All in all, we've seen our girls come back from larger deficits. Even though they don't have Jaci, it's time for someone to step up.

Tough loss for the ladies. They were really outplayed in almost every facet of the game by Oakland. There domination of the conference for much of the year doesn't make this any easier. This can be very hard to bounce back from, but hopefully the coaches and players will grow closer together through the adversity. I'll be praying for them. We love you, ladies.

I hope that in spite of their disapointment our coach and players are gracious in defeat. I'm sure that they will be. It will be a very, very tough press conference, though.

Glad we still have the WNIT to look forward to.

Tough, painful, hurtful loss for the ladies. There's just no getting around that. They set one record in their first game - largest number of points scored in a tournament game - and another in their second - first 1 seed to lose by over 30.

But I will say this - Becky Francis was extremely classy in the post-game press conference - of course, it's always easier to be classy when you win. But in her opening statement she said that someone had asked her the day before how they could recover and be ready for the game today, and she told them "God can move mountains. And I'd like to give God the glory for this because he gave us the energy."

Asked, what did you do to slow down that Oral Roberts offense - "We didn't do anything different. We just played our game and it floated our way."

Mike Brown asked if they had done anything different today than in the previous two games - "We made two key adjustments. I'm not going to say what they were, but we made two key adjustments."

She volunteered - "I'm going to give a shout out to ORU and Jerry. I felt really bad that Bigham got hurt. That's a big difference when that happens, too. Them not having her it changes their whole roles and everything. So, you know, I just feel bad for Bigham."

Asked about motivation when you come in as an underdog - "When you're the four seed - fortunately, I've been the one seed here and I know what that feels like. I know what that heat feels like, and it's just more pressure. And you know Oral Roberts, it's great when you're the one seed, and the league champ, and you come here and everyone is expecting you to win it, and it IS tough. Personally I like coming in as, whatever, an underdog, even though we know we're a good team. So it is less pressure."

Full press conference here.

Despite the Bigham injury....that's a shocking loss....downright embarrassing....at least the ladies have a shot to redeem themselves in the WNIT....perhaps they can win a game or two there....honestly, ORU would have been one and done in the NCAA.....still, TheEagleman is quite surprised that we are not in the final vs. SDSU.... :o

These ladies have nothing to be ashamed of. They had one heck of a season. Jacie's injury did resulted in loss of depth; however, that said, the talent on this team was capable of winning this conference tournament. This just wasn't their day. Cylinders weren't clicking. Something was off. Regardless, they have a lot to be proud of.

Hummm....we lost by 34 vs. Oakland....just wasn't their day???...ya think?....sorry...TheEagleman just couldn't resist. <_<

You're right, R2. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully they regroup, Kevi and Jaci's injury's heal, they rest and they get ready for next year.

You're right, R2. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully they regroup, Kevi and Jaci's injury's heal, they rest and they get ready for next year.

Still got WNIT to play in . . .

Not laying it all on # 3, because she played great, and showed she has some real skills in the Ladies' first game. It is just a different situation all together when you are behind, and under that kind of pressure, and that really showed how much Jaci's experience means to this team. No crime in being a freshman, but that is why they normally play behind upperclassmen, and gain experience. Kevi still got her points, and apparently with an injured foot, but the momentum for Oakland got stronger with each turnover. I have loved watching these Ladies, and hate it for them that they had such a tough ending to the tournament, but with the talent on this team, if they use it as a strong lesson learned, they will benefit in the long run. True fans are with you on your tough days too, and no sugar-coating it.... that was a tough day, but we still believe in you Ladies!

I agree, GolfDad. #3 had a rough game and seemed to get flustered a bit. Growing pains are never fun, but she's got some great talent and the potential to be a great player for ORU. Really proud of the ladies for their fight. Don't worry girls. When we finally do get that title it will all the more sweeter.

• Upvote 1